• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:21 am Reply with quote
I liked the pop-song pastiche of the badly karaoked OP, right down to the high note that nobody ever hits.

And did she just say "Special Generation"? ... why, yes she did.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:58 pm Reply with quote
man this was absolutely bizarre. i actually had to check and make sure i downloaded the right anime. i'm definitely interested in the next episode.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
The first episode was fantastic, but somehow I get the impression that the show isn't going to sustain that kind of feel.

Yeah, judging from the very end of the first episode and the preview, the rest of the series will follow the antics of the student filmmakers, likely with footage from their films interjected here and there. I'm confident the rest of the show will be pure genius as well, though. I hate to jump the gun, but I have a feeling this may turn out to be one of my favorite comedies, if not one of my favorite series. I haven't been this excited about a new series in a long while!
mahnx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
episode 2 was great, i do have to say scared Mikuru-chan was the best =P
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:17 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, episode 2 definetely maintained the level of comedy from the first episode. Though a few things that's worth commenting. The REAL OP sequence was really cool and very fun and flashy; it was so flashy that my laptop nearly burned out due to high processor usage! Cool

The ED sequence was remade and taken advantage of the widescreen mode. Now you can see the awesome and ridiculously fluid dance sequence in the full screen! Also I found the entire BGM was very catchy and almost addictive.

Mikuru-chan being scared because of Haruhi seriously had me in stiches. Mikuru is so freakin' MOE!!! Anime hyper

Speaking of moe, Haruhi's somewhat sparse explaination of moe was rather amusing. The Shuffle! reference made it better.

And I've just realized that the original character designer for this series is the same one who did Shakugan no Shana; I can pretty much tell because of the eyes.

Now for the episode itself, spoiler[it pretty much started from the beginning on how Kyon met Haruhi. At first she didn't care about anything except on aliens, espers, time travelers, and other wierd stuff. Though later on Kyon talked to her more which lead to her to open up a bit. Whether this is a good thing or bad thing, you decide because later on Haruhi decided to open up her own club thanks to the little conversation they have about clubs. The club is now called the S.O.S-dan which according to Kyon, pretty much anything can happen since Haruhi is in control! ] Shocked

Haruhi is one strange female character who I found to be very, very cute as well. I bet that whole cheap film production she directed in the first episode is part of her "devious" club activites. Twisted Evil
mahnx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:44 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
And I've just realized that the original character designer for this series is the same one who did Shakugan no Shana; I can pretty much tell because of the eyes.

Hehe, I'm personally a fan of Noizi Ito so I recognized the art in last month's newtype. From there I tracked this show down and here I am, completely satisfied =D

btw can't wait for the third episode Anime hyper
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:15 am Reply with quote
What a hoot that first episode was. I can relate to all the problems they had when "filming" the Magical Girl movie. I almost went through the same thing with my high school short film.

Here are some of the mistakes they made:

Characters look at cue cards
Reflector in background during one "battle" scene
Horrible camera angles
Guy in background talking when dubbing for cat
Actress laughing during all her scenes
Director tells actress what to do while filming
Director comes in to break up fight
Bad music
Bad graphics
Horrible editing

There's probably more; but I can't remember. I can't wait to watch the next episode. If this show doesn't get licensed somehow in America, then there's something wrong with our companies.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:35 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Guy in background talking when dubbing for cat

Umm, no, from the looks of it. the cat (Shamisen) actually talks. I don't know what's up with that -- but the gag in that scene was that it actually started to talk when it wasn't supposed to. Whereupon Yuki hits it with her wand to shut it up, and tries to gloss over the situation by saying: 今の腹部術 (ima no fukubajutsu, "That was ventriloquism.").

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pleroma

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:43 am Reply with quote
Yep cat talks. That one small detail makes the whole first episode so much more awsome.

I read it is literally spoiler[a god]
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:06 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Director comes in to break up fight

The action scene preceeding to her "cut-in" was the only scene I couldn't understand. Why was spoiler[Mikuru's left eye blue, before emitting something REALLY powerful (completely unlike the awful visual effect in their final showdown) enough to blind the camcorder? Yuki pushed Mikuru to the ground and, instead of fighting, seemed to me that Yuki was trying to cover Mikuru's left eye], before Haruhi intervened.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:36 pm Reply with quote
From what I got from the people who read the novels, there's supposed to be a behind-the-scenes look of that film episode which will pretty much explain most of the stuff; I can be sure KyoAni will animate that. As for Mikuru, well.....I think it's one of those "wait-and-see" things. Rolling Eyes
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Second episode was good for some background on the story, I don't think it's comedy matched up to the first episode though. I hope somebody else will start subbing this, afk isn't exactly my favorite fansub group, (they just change too much stuff, moe=turn on... ugh) it deserves better.

That part of the opening sequence with Haruhi running in that place with all the stars, planets, and characters appearing was just so well done. I can't wait to see both the opening and ending on DVD (I guess I should expect no less with this coming from Kyoto, thier work on Air was absolutely beautiful).
Anthony P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Second episode was good for some background on the story, I don't think it's comedy matched up to the first episode though.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. Granted, I wasn't expecting this second episode to be anything like the brilliant first episode, but it was still great. I suspect the series will pick up quite nicely along the way (wonder how many eps it'll run?).
Quote:
That part of the opening sequence with Haruhi running in that place with all the stars, planets, and characters appearing was just so well done. I can't wait to see both the opening and ending on DVD (I guess I should expect no less with this coming from Kyoto, thier work on Air was absolutely beautiful).

Yeah, the opening sequence was flashy and well-done, but I was a little disappointed that it was so typical. With the so-far unique feel of this show, I was expecting an opening that would be a bit more original. Ohhh, but that ending sequence is so much fun!
The Sphinx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching the first one, and I'll watch the second episode before the end of the evening...

Hah hah! Brilliant work. That's the best use of voice over I've heard in anime. I'm eagerly anticipating the rest. Thanks for pointing it out.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Best new show this season. Loving it. I'll be giving this thing a stellar writeup in the Spring 2006 Preview guide.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 213