• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I *had* pre-ordered the Haruhi 2 LE from www.dvdpacific.com but I canceled my order because it turns out they don't have shipping charges correctly set for pre-order items, and they greatly increased the shipping charges afterwards (I dunno if they would have notified me or not, that also worries me, I discovered it by checking my account manually). It was still fairly cheap but I'm too afraid to order on the Internet from a company I haven't ordered from before (I've been completely ripped off before and had to file credit card chargebacks...namely against rareflix.com for ordering the Variable Geo DVD which they never sent me and refused to refund). Also the Haruhi 2 LE is in a soft thin box which is easily smushed (I saw it in Suncoast) so that's another fear I have of Internet orders. I've gotten badly smushed boxes before which pissed me off greatly (namely from amazon.com so I've never again ordered collector's boxes from them).
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Truth be told, I was initially contemplating giving her the name "Eye brows girl" in my post given that I couldn't remember what it was.
Ahaha, eye brows girl, that is a good description. I also like Tsuruya, she should be called big hair girl. Her hair is gigantic. So is Shana's hair from Shakugan no Shana for that matter, both Noizi Ito characters, but I think Tsuruya has more hair than Shana.

Someone should make a contest thread for which anime character has the biggest hair. It might be funny. Smile

Quote:
For anyone tracking character popularity, she likes Yuki, and she would like to hit Haruhi.
See, I mentioned earlier that some people hate Haruhi. Smile And maybe they would rate The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya a Worst-Ever anime if they hate Haruhi enough. BTW, I like Haruhi I don't hate Haruhi, personally. But I think she is the kind of person that can be hated by many types of people.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I have this thing with names in anime, so half the time, I'm associating them with physical traits...

Kinda like how I called the police dude from Paprika...

Uhh... Police dude... in my overly long post about the movie, I mean.

*and no, I still don't know what his name is*

Oh, and I still need to talk about Shana (which I finished recently).
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I have a hard time remembering names too and often prefer to refer to characters by some kind of weird description. Before I knew who Shana was I used to call her Big Hair Ice Cream...because all the pictures and toys I saw of her 3 years ago, all I noticed was that her hair was gigantic and she was usually sucking ice cream out of her mouth or something. I guess she eats Melon Bread more but it just so happened that the first picture/toy I had was with her sucking a popsicle/ice cream, oh well.

I used to call Haruhi "finger-pointing girl" before I knew who she was too, when I had just seen random pictures of her.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quote

I think it's worse for me though given that I actually do this after recently having seen something; that can't be good.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Nom_Anor wrote:
Tomorrow I shall be going to Best Buy first thing in order to get the disk two limited edition. If they don't have it, I will be sad. Then I'm going online to preorder disk three while Rightstuff still has their 20% off sale.

It's 20% off in stock items, so you won't be receiving 20% off of it.

LE 2 is in stock now. My copy from TRSI just arrived today.

Or maybe it doesn't count as 'in stock' until the actual release date. Try tomorrow, and it may be an in stock item. They certainly have them, so I can't think of any other reason they don't have it listed as 'in stock' yet.
kelamity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
SOS Brigade Invasion Tour at AX 2007:
I saw some people dancing to Lucky Star's Opening Theme while in line, which was pretty amusing. Definitely some hard core Hirano fans in here.

If one of the people dancing to the Lucky Star OP theme while in line was wearing a black button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up and blue baggy jeans next to a guy with wrist wraps.
Then that would be me lol Very Happy
Didn't think many people were paying attention to my group until they walked past my laptop showing Lucky Star Episode 10
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote
kelamity wrote:
If one of the people dancing to the Lucky Star OP theme while in line was wearing a black button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up and blue baggy jeans next to a guy with wrist wraps.
Then that would be me lol Very Happy

I don't remember what they were wearing. If you did it near the front of the line inside the building then that was you. If not, then there were more people who were doing the dance than I thought, which is pretty cool.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I gather they didn't allow camera at the concert. Were there any professional cameras parked there thay might suggests they'll put some footage of the concert on the asos site or DVDs? The SOS brigade were notable from their absence on the Animelo DVDs so I've never seen them perform the songs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Just watched Haruhi Vol 2.

The main thing I have to report is that I did further investigating into the video quality of the domestic Haruhi releases. Normally I don't bother to check bitrates, but I noticed that the 2nd (broadcast order) disc of my Haruhi special edition was in terrible physical shape. It came with numerous visible fingerprints, scratches, and warp marks inside the disc surface itself (the most dangerous thing that often causes glitches) while the regular disc was pristine as is the norm.

I washed off the fingerprints but the rest has to remain. Fortunately, I'm happy to report that the entire disc still played perfectly in my average-quality-and-sensitivity DVD player. But afterwards, just out of curiosity since the disc was in such bad shape I stuck it into my computer's DVD drive to check the rough filesizes and bitrates. I also did the same for Haruhi 1 and 2 (the regular disc).

To my surprise, all 3 Haruhi discs are authored at a very low bitrate. Haruhi 1 and 2 are authored at 5.5 megabits/s total bitrate...which is even lower than the typical low quality standard of 6 megabits/s used my most domestic American movie DVDs and most anime DVDs from Funimation and Geneon. Furthermore, the extra broadcast order Haruhi disc, is at 5 megabits/s instead, but the video quality is the exact same...the smaller size is because of the missing English 2.0 and English 5.1 audio tracks.

But at 5 megabits/s and absolutely no extras...all 5 episodes of Haruhi fit onto a SINGLE-LAYER DVD. Anyway, so that's the report on Haruhi video quality. Smile The normal Haruhi DVDs are on double-layer DVDs due to the extras wasting space, and most of the space on the double-layer DVDs is wasted as usual.

But anyways this explains the bad quality we see in the Haruhi intros. Unfortunately this also means that the bad quality affects the whole show and not just the intro, which some people thought before. I can also confirm this visually with ease on Haruhi Vol 2...check out Yuki's battle scene and the artifacting is terrible, as obvious as in the intro.

So I guess Haruhi was authored in worse quality than I initially thought. I had assumed before it was Geneon "good" quality since the authoring studio SpeeDVD does a few Geneon titles (the well-authored ones) but I was wrong. The bitrate is low and the artifacting sucks. The bitrate is lower than Funimation (although most of the time Haruhi looks better than Funimation, due to different encoding parameters, but I still prefer the look of Funimation to Haruhi's terrible artifacting when things move). Also, Haruhi's encoding has consistent "interlacing/combing artifacts" that were being discussed recently in other threads here. They aren't the worst I've seen though, and only occur every so often, but are definitely an issue as well.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:34 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I gather they didn't allow camera at the concert. Were there any professional cameras parked there thay might suggests they'll put some footage of the concert on the asos site or DVDs?

There were cameras. But I'm pretty sure they were mainly for the purpose of displaying them singing upon the screens.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
Someone posted these Newtype scans on that fansub forum

Second season confirmed? Shocked
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
Looks like a game to me from all the screenshots and what little of the text I can decipher (Haruhi and names are hardly the best places to test one's kanji...)

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's definitely referring to a game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WrathsPuppet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:29 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Someone posted these Newtype scans on that fansub forum

Second season confirmed? Shocked

Maybe. >.>

ハルヒ二期 means Haruhi Season 2.

The one on the Lucky Star Monitor: ハルヒ二期決定 means Haruhi season 2 decision.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote
Well, it looks like it could be real though it could, as selenta said, be for a game. Assuming it is true, this is awesome. But I'll wait until I hear it from a reliable source before I rejoice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 123 of 213