• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
I am really impressed by Kyon's VA. The guy basically had to talk for almost the full episode, but it is extremely well done.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:00 am Reply with quote
ryokoalways wrote:
I am really impressed by Kyon's VA. The guy basically had to talk for almost the full episode, but it is extremely well done.

It's Sugita Tomokazu (seiyuu for Rin in Shuffle!, Mayama in HachiKuro, Hideki in Chobits). Expect the best.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
-gecko-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Thank you so much, Darkchibi-senpai; I have been grippingly enamored with this anime ever since reading your post and giving it a go!

I was prepared for the first episode with all the talk here, but the second had me so attentive I jumped when the ending started! The most notable thing for me was the quality of the animation; the opening background images blew me away and in one scene a background chara was actually moving his lips! I have never seen such detail in another anime.

The charas show much promise for developement; I just can't wait for episode two (or is it three?) Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
d.yaro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:34 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Umm, no, from the looks of it. the cat (Shamisen) actually talks.

A cat named Shamisen.... Oh gawd... Yes, I had to watch it again to notice that is the cat's name. That's so absurd. Cat pelts were once used to make the covering of the bodies/"doh" of "shamisen", the traditional three string Japanese musical instrument. (Also, I thought that it's kind of funny how the talking cat in this show sounds like the talking dog in The Gokusen anime.)
xuebaochai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:27 am Reply with quote
d.yaro wrote:
A cat named Shamisen.... Oh gawd... Yes, I had to watch it again to notice that is the cat's name. That's so absurd. Cat pelts were once used to make the covering of the bodies/"doh" of "shamisen", the traditional three string Japanese musical instrument.

Arrgh! Someone help me! I'm pretty sure there is another anime or j-dorama that uses that joke (a cat called Shamisen --given that violin strings used to be made of catgut, the joke is surprisingly translatable). But I cannot remember which, despite squeezing my head with an industrial vise. Help!
The Sphinx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote
d.yaro wrote:
abunai wrote:
Umm, no, from the looks of it. the cat (Shamisen) actually talks.

A cat named Shamisen.... Oh gawd... Yes, I had to watch it again to notice that is the cat's name. That's so absurd. Cat pelts were once used to make the covering of the bodies/"doh" of "shamisen", the traditional three string Japanese musical instrument. (Also, I thought that it's kind of funny how the talking cat in this show sounds like the talking dog in The Gokusen anime.)

And also sounds like Yoruichi in cat-form from Bleach.
godakame

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I usually skim through the first episode, giving myself a preview. My first reaction: I've already wasted enough time skimming through this garbage. I was about to hit the delete button before I read some comments about this series. I'm glad I gave this anime a chance; just finished the first episode, and I do concur that it is quite brilliant. Albeit, the brilliance is only succeeded by the music (brings me back to the old snes days). And here I thought that only american animations did these types of series-- sealab, aquateen.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:28 am Reply with quote
Wow, such awesome reviews :p

I'm really looking forward to getting over my 2 weeks of finals and start watching things again.

just reading u guys's posts makes me wanna laugh.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:11 am Reply with quote
The Sphinx wrote:
d.yaro wrote:
(Also, I thought that it's kind of funny how the talking cat in this show sounds like the talking dog in The Gokusen anime.)

And also sounds like Yoruichi in cat-form from Bleach.

Shamisen is voiced by Ogata Kenichi.

Fuji (from Gokusen the anime) is voiced by Katou Seizou.

Yoruichi as cat (from Bleach) is voiced by Saito Shirou (who incidentally voices Hagrid in the Japanese dubs of Harry Potter).

Sure they sound alike, but not that much. Is it possible that you're being deceived by the similar-sounding (old-fashioned geezer-speak) dialect of Japanese they all speak?

- abunai
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:20 am Reply with quote
Maybe I'm just completely clueless about the trials and perils of student film-making, but I don't understand what everyone finds so funny about the show. Much like when I watched Napoleon Dynamite, I sat through the whole thing waiting for the funny part to come in, but it never happened.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:47 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Maybe I'm just completely clueless about the trials and perils of student film-making, but I don't understand what everyone finds so funny about the show. Much like when I watched Napoleon Dynamite, I sat through the whole thing waiting for the funny part to come in, but it never happened.

I surmise that you've only seen the first episode. Never mind whether it's funny or not (personally, I found it hilarious). The fact is that only the first episode is in the form of a student film. It's intentionally bad, and it serves as a subtle introduction to the characters.

From episode 2 and on, the anime returns to a more conventional form of storytelling.

And it's not about student film-making. It's a much stranger, and deeper, story.

- abunai
Currently reading the novels
(OK, so they're in bootleg scans, but the genuine article is arriving
by mail from Japan in three weeks, so my conscience is clear)
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quote
I finally got around to watching the first two episodes yesterday. This series is great. The first episode was genius. I loved the Cameraman's Commentary. The second episode was equally hilarious. As someone said in a mailing group I am part of, "Haruhi is the crackiest character since Sana-chan [from Kodocha]."
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the first 2 episodes.

The first one was kinda weird, and I felt that the quality of the student film could've been much worse, so the exaggeration wasn't quite as well done as I had expected. It's not as friendly to those of us who aren't very skilled at watching fansubs, I really missed out on some of the minor details. However, it was unique and a brilliant way to start an anime series, although it can just as easily drive away many viewers.

The second episode was really good IMO. It was funny and fluent, and I really liked how the animation was done. It felt crisp and clear.

Overall, it's been interesting.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:17 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
And it's not about student film-making. It's a much stranger, and deeper, story.

I wasn't expecting it (but I guess the talking cat in the first episode would have given it away), I was expecting it to be more of a slice of life, but this third episode proves that it's more then that. spoiler[Yuki and Haruhi are aliens, wierd]. This looks like it's going to turn out to be much better then it looked on the surface.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
It gets weirder still. Trust me.

- abunai
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 213