• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:59 am Reply with quote
Earlier someone mentioned the "green haired girl in the OP" and got the reply of it being Mikuru's friend, but I think that person meant the OTHER (olive?) green haired girl in the OP, it can be hard to miss cause she only appears for a VERY short time, but it's right as Mikuru on the Watch is going off the screen and right before the cat goes on. I haven't seen her anywhere in the series and this does raise the question of who the hell she is ><
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:28 am Reply with quote
I'm assuming you mean the girl who brought in the SOS-dan Symbol from the website incident. Honestly, when I went back and rewatched the intro I went "who the hell is that?!" even though I've seen the episode with her like 7 times now. This is why eye-witness testimony is all but useless Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:06 am Reply with quote
Wow, she's kinda easy to forget, 7:40 on the 7th ep (aired). I guess the label of Mikuru's friend kind of suits both of them as well :O
CrockPot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:59 am Reply with quote
I'll admit I only scanned this thread and didn't read it completly, but has anyone figured out the correct order to watch the episodes so that it would be in cronological order?
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:04 am Reply with quote
The Sphinx wrote:

It was back on page 36. I also posted a summary there of the distribution of "filler" and "storyline" throughout the series, in case you are curious.
CrockPot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, I really did read a good bit of this thread but somewhere between 25-40 I just started skimming.

I think it'll be fun to re-watch it in 'correct' order and see what I missed the first time through.
Electron Theory

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:04 pm Reply with quote
CrockPot wrote:
I think it'll be fun to re-watch it in 'correct' order and see what I missed the first time through.

The only thing I got out of watching it in the correct order was less confusion of what had happened so far and it ending less...fulfillingly. Doesn't make it a worse anime in the order it should come of course, because that would just be silly, but just was a little bit different.
CrockPot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't really expect the show to be as good (probably won't be as funny) in chronological order, but I think I'll understand it better. Which, for me, means that when I watch it AGAIN later with friends and such who are watching it for the first time I can explain things easier.

I'm the 'anime nut' in my group of friends so I can only get them to watch a series every now and then. Because of this, I tend to try and make sure they see what I consider the best. They tend to really enjoy what I eventually make them watch (they still hate subtitles) and we can discuss the show for hours afterwards so I really wanna watch this series 'in order' once, before I sit through it with them 'for real'.

After going back and reading frentymon's post I have to agree that the series is much better in the order shown.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:57 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does it seem that even now people are trying to bring down its ratings purposefully? They might not be as obvious as the worst ever grades, but it does seem odd how considering that over 600 of the near 900 votes are for masterpiece and excellent, and then a relatively high amount of people grade it below 5..... maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it does seem to be like that.
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:10 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
Is it just me, or does it seem that even now people are trying to bring down its ratings purposefully? They might not be as obvious as the worst ever grades, but it does seem odd how considering that over 600 of the near 900 votes are for masterpiece and excellent, and then a relatively high amount of people grade it below 5..... maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it does seem to be like that.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about the show. If it weren't for the technical excellence, I'm not sure if I would have put it higher than a Good or Very Good. Also, some people might have seen the first episode and though "Egads, this is awful!" and said it was weak, etc.

There are probably some people rating it lowere just due to its popularity. But that doesn't really matter. People will do that for any anime (regardless of whether or not it's in the top 10). Anyway, the ratings discussion with regard to SHnY has been discussed many times recently...it might be nice to just focus on the show and what people who want to discuss it think about it, rather than the nameless mass who rate it.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Took me a while (surprisingly, I've had a lot going on), but I finally watched ep. 14 yesterday. Needless to say even though it's "supposed" to occur in the middle of the series it was still a good ending, and I found it to be an interesting contrast to the "real" last episode. Not a whole lot to note, except for one thing. I may be way off but I couldn't shake the thought/theory off. When the show was all said and done, 2 ideas popped into my head. Either A)It could be that Kyon and not Haruhi is the one who is truly God or B) Kyon is the key to Haruhi's power. After all, it was Kyon's wish and not Haruhi's that returned the world to what it was. Now it could have been that he subconciously convinced her of how great the world they live in was, but I still have this feeling it could have been him and not her. After all he is the one who remembers the event actually occuring (although it could be just a reinforcement of Haruhi not knowing her own power). Also I found the fact that she wore her hair in a ponytail the following day to be interesting. In any case I think this show does have a level of subtltey and throughout the series we have had to pay attention to detail. Everyone in the SOS Brigade knows about Haruhi except for Haruhi herself, so in that sense maybe this whole time while we are led to believe that Haruhi is God it could be possible that in reality it is Kyon who possesses the power and no one knows it. After all in the "last" episode doesn't the world fall more in line with Kyon's desires and not Haruhi's?
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
That could be one way to see it, the other would be that Kyon in fact does NOT have any powers, but spoiler[when he kissed Haruhi] she might have thought the world to be good as it is now. Isn't that what most people feel when that happens with someone they get along with/like/love?

Now for the real question, what is Kyon's real name >< only things I can think of are Kyo (they add n to make it sound "cute") or maybe Kyosuke (changed to Kyon cause it's "cuter" and shorter). Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: As for the mention of Kyon being the only one to remember, maybe it's not so. The fact that Haruhi remembered what he said shows that she does remember, but seeing that she didn't know about this stuff while Kyon had knowledge of it prior to what happened, she most likely thought it to be just a dream, with her real desires included, and decided to see if Kyon liked her hair in a pony-tail in real life.

another edit: Anyone have a cure for making overly long sentences? Seriously, that thing that looks like a paragraph is only 2 and mostly that 1 O_o.
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I see where you're going Trance, but I disagree. The way I see it, Kyon spoiler[kissing Haruhi ]and his like speech about how intersting the world actually is probably was what pushed Haruhi back over the edge to a point where she let the world continue. Also, it's worth noting that as Itsuki said, spoiler[Haruhi could well have created a new world that night. She certainly gave evidence that she wanted to see the others again or at least expected to, which was probably enough to keep them around in the new world. Assuming that is what happened, of course.] As for the ponytail and not remebering, I think she does remember. She just wrote it off as a dream. Let's not forget, this all happened when they were asleep. Haruhi being the person she is may have taken what she thought was a dream to be an omen or a sign of some kind, and wore the ponytail for that reason.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote
An outline of this entire thread for any newcomers or anyone in general who wants to look back on this incredibly long and popular thread:

For Quick Navigation

(Page 5)
(Page 10)
(Page 15)
(Page 20)
(Page 25)
(Page 30)
(Page 35)
(Page 40)

Main Discussion

Starts at...
(Look for posts by darkchibi07)

Episode 1 - (Pg. 1)
Episode 2 - (Pg. 2)
Episode 3 - (Pg. 4)
Episode 4 - (Pg. 5)
Episode 5 - (Pg. 10)
Episode 6 - (Pg. 13)
Episode 7 - (Pg. 15)
Episode 8 - (Pg. 17)
Episode 9 - (Pg. 19)
Episode 10 - (Pg. 22)
Episode 11 - (Pg. 24)
Episode 12 - (Pg. 27)
Episode 13 - (Pg. 31)
Episode 14 - (Pg. 34)

Side Discussion

Spans from...

Initial thoughts - (Pg. 1 - Current)
Shamisen the Cat - (Pg. 2 -3)
Haruhi climbs up to Top 10 Anime list too fast? - (Pg. 4 (Bottom))
What is the "ISM" in Haruhiism? - (Pg. 6)
First Episode - Great or Disappointing? - (Pg. 7-8)
Sitting in the Corner... - (Pg. 11-14)
Intricacy of OP Animation - (Pg. 12)
Abbreviating the name of this series - (Pg. 14)
Nani kore!? - (Pg. 14-15)
How many episodes is Haruhi anyway? Is it really 14? - (Pg. 19-20)
New Math - (Pg. 20-21)
Pacing of the series - (Pg. 21-22)
Do Yuki and Ryoko have a personality? - (Pg. 23-24)
Haruhi Manga? - (Pg. 26-27)
Are the episodes supposed to be mixed up? Why are they mixed up anyway? - (Pg. 28-29)
"Ecchi ni nattara otona ni nareru no kana" - (Pg. 29-30)
Dubbed Haruhi!? - (Pg. 30-34)
What is the chronological order of the episodes? - (Pg. 36)
Haruhi - One of the best? Not one of the best? - (Pg. 37-39)
Discussion on Ask John's (from AnimeNation) opinion of Haruhi - (Pg. 39)
Iconoclasm/Buzz/Conformism - (Pg. 39-41)
Easy to Manipulate Ratings? Fabricated Ratings? - (Pg. 43)
Are characters from Haruhi original or sterotypes? - (Pg. 43-44)
Chinese Curse - (Pg. 44-Current)
Who is more Moe? Yuki or Mikuru? - (Pg. 40-Current)

Interesting Stuff

Information on the novel series - (Pg. 5)
The meaning of the announced episodes in the preview - (Pg. 5)
Why the animation is brilliant - (Pg. 7 (Bottom))
what does that orange arm band Haruhi has on in the intro and the credits say? - (Pg. 11)
Tanabata Festival - (Pg. 15)
Henohenomoheji - (Pg. 25)
Day of Sagittarius - (Pg. 26)
Haruhi Cosplay! - (Pg. 33 (Bottom))
Kyon ASCII Art! - (Pg. 37)

Random Facts

Up Until Now...

Number of users that participated in this thread - 133

Pages - 46

Posts - 688

Average number of posts per user in this thread - 5.21

Date thread started - 4/6/06

Days thread has spanned - 99

Average Number of posts per day - 7

Last edited by frentymon on Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I just finished the series on one go, twice (the first fansub ever downloaded--a virgin hype victim) and I was just coming to around to say:

OMG haruhirulz lol i luv haruhihotzmoe teh show roxors!11one! me harutard u n008!!!111

...or something. sorry, not very proficient at the 1331 language

But I see that I was not welcome.

Had I been a person who votes anime on random sites (though admittedly ANN is quite a popular, solid, balanced site; even if the forums is rather...hostile) I'd choose Masterpiece, 10/10, 100/100, perfect, brilliant, luv teh show, or things along those lines. I love it that much. Reason? Well, my opinion is worthless in the overall scheme of things. Japan has more than 100 million population, the USA 300, and a single baseball stadium is enough to starkly make the point that I am insignificant.

By the way, nice effort, frentymon. Thanks for both the thread summary (saves me much time Wink ) and the excellent episodes synopsis. Smile

Last edited by Samurai-with-glasses on Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 46 of 213