• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:36 am Reply with quote
kenshin101 wrote:
I finished watching this anime and I have to say that it's wonderful, although it didn't live up to the hype I had heard of it. I enjoy the creativeness and freshness of it all though.

Well, your loss. A lot that have watched it recently make the mistake of marathoning it or watching it in big chuncks, the absolute WORST way to watch this show.

kenshin101 wrote:
That is your opinion, I don't think this is true, if someone think it's the worst ever then that's their opinion too. You can't just go around accusing people of sabotage just because you think it deserves better. Here's a prime example, go to the encyclopedia; click on the top ten anime; scroll down to worst rated; check that anime's ratings out. You will find that even the "worst" anime has a masterpiece rating, that's because people have their own view on everything. You're just as bad as he is if you really think that it automatically deserves a 3, because he obviously feels it automatically deserves a 0. It's weird how two totally different people can be so much alike, it truly is irony.

Now you see... there's no more gentle way to put this... but you're wrong. "worst ever" implies that it is the worst show overall. No matter how you look at it, there are WAY too many things this show does right to get that sort of title. The problem with your explanation of looking at the lowest rated shows is this:

There are many valid reasons to like or hate any given show, popularity or hype are not two of them. Bad shows that get a masterpiece rating are getting that rating because they appealed to the viewer in some way: usually through brand loyalty, a particular character, or what is known as the "primacy effect" (people remember and enjoy the show that brought them into anime much more than they probably should). Good shows that get a "bad" rating are nearly always receiving this rating not through any of the valid reasons of rating a show, but from one (or both) of the two invalid reasons I listed above. Then again, there's always people with completely illogical rating systems like free2slap, but even he seems to admit to the two reasons above.

As an example, until very recently, Mushishi had exactly 0 votes rating it at 4 or below (I can truthfully say that 3 of those 5 votes up there now were posted after the most recent thread was created hyping the show), and Monster had only 3 or 4 (it's been 2+ years since it came out). Compare these two shows to the incredibly hyped Haruhi, that has received 85 such votes, nearly 8 times as many 4- votes as the other two combined. Obviously disproportionate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote
Oh My Holy God In Heaven, people, are we STILL on this?

Kyon/Itsuki yaoi. Conceivable within this reality or theoretically impossible? Discuss.

If Haruhi wants it to exist, it shall exist, but can she be imagined to be that sort of person?
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:33 am Reply with quote
I guess it's possible, but she spoiler[wants Kyon], so that'd be like giving herself competition. She'd be better off altering reality so that Mikuru squeals "Nyahaha!" in delight every time she fondles her.

[EDIT] They should make some "Fondle Me Mikuru" plushies complete with full voice acting.

Last edited by frentymon on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
undeadben

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
I guess it's possible, but she spoiler[wants Kyon], so that'd be like giving herself competition.

Ah, but spoiler[she's still somewhat in denial about this. If she was pressured into a situation of having to confess certain feelings, she might begin to want Kyon to be unreachable ] and so then consciously puts him and Itsuki together spoiler[even if self aware of her true feelings. Heck she might try to push him off on someone else just because he's not and esper, alien, or time traveller; in her warped mind who better than another male. In either situation it's plausible just becasue she certainly doesn't want him anywhere near Mikuru, and she loves making Kyon's life, erm, umm.. interesting. ] Wink

I may be taking this a bit far. Very Happy
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote
I think he's giving the fan-girls (and some guys, don't wanna know if you're the latter) some weird doujinshi ideas O_o. The only problem with your hypothesis undeadben is spoiler[the possiblility that it could still very well be Kyon who is really the god-like figure and not Haruhi, as was suggested before] as well as spoiler[the fact that her powers are being used subconciously, so even if she were to try and deny her feelings, deep down she would still want to be with hiim and her powers would act on those subconcious feelings.]
Well, those are just a couple of reasons why it might not happen, but the best one is that the author doesn't want it to happen.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:07 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
I guess it's possible, but she spoiler[wants Kyon], so that'd be like giving herself competition. She'd be better off altering reality so that Mikuru squeals "Nyahaha!" in delight every time Haruhi fondles her.

But where is the fun (for Haruhi) if she just gives in? How can she be dominating Mikuru is she's enjoying it? Wouldn't Mikuru essentially be winning if she enjoyed Haruhi molesting her?
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
But where is the fun (for Haruhi) if she just gives in?

None for her, but some for we, the viewers. Twisted Evil
undeadben

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
Well, those are just a couple of reasons why it might not happen, but the best one is that the author doesn't want it to happen.

Of course not, I don't think either of my suppositions is anywhere near being even remotely accurate. I was just trying to help lighten things up with some preposterous utterances. Very Happy

Wow, even when I'm explaining my humor I sound like a dork. Embarassed
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:29 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
[EDIT] They should make some "Fondle Me Mikuru" plushies complete with full voice acting.

I would totally buy one Twisted Evil

How long will we have to wait for Haruhi? I've liked this show since the instant I saw that blip way back when ANN was telling all of us what new anime was coming out. Just an instant connection with her.

The news from the con was that a lot of companies were talking. So, any unconfirmed rumors about who's going to licence?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Well, if there is no fun for her in it, then she wouldn't will it.

Besides, a lot of fans seem to enjoy Cowering and Terrified Mikuru.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
frentymon wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Well, if there is no fun for her in it, then she wouldn't will it.

Besides, a lot of fans seem to enjoy Cowering and Terrified Mikuru.

I laughed my ass off every time she gave a lil jolt with a wimper if someone brought up "convincing" or "costume"
kenshin101

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:15 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
kenshin101 wrote:
I finished watching this anime and I have to say that it's wonderful, although it didn't live up to the hype I had heard of it. I enjoy the creativeness and freshness of it all though.

Well, your loss. A lot that have watched it recently make the mistake of marathoning it or watching it in big chuncks, the absolute WORST way to watch this show.

kenshin101 wrote:
That is your opinion, I don't think this is true, if someone think it's the worst ever then that's their opinion too. You can't just go around accusing people of sabotage just because you think it deserves better. Here's a prime example, go to the encyclopedia; click on the top ten anime; scroll down to worst rated; check that anime's ratings out. You will find that even the "worst" anime has a masterpiece rating, that's because people have their own view on everything. You're just as bad as he is if you really think that it automatically deserves a 3, because he obviously feels it automatically deserves a 0. It's weird how two totally different people can be so much alike, it truly is irony.

Now you see... there's no more gentle way to put this... but you're wrong. "worst ever" implies that it is the worst show overall. No matter how you look at it, there are WAY too many things this show does right to get that sort of title. The problem with your explanation of looking at the lowest rated shows is this:

There are many valid reasons to like or hate any given show, popularity or hype are not two of them. Bad shows that get a masterpiece rating are getting that rating because they appealed to the viewer in some way: usually through brand loyalty, a particular character, or what is known as the "primacy effect" (people remember and enjoy the show that brought them into anime much more than they probably should). Good shows that get a "bad" rating are nearly always receiving this rating not through any of the valid reasons of rating a show, but from one (or both) of the two invalid reasons I listed above. Then again, there's always people with completely illogical rating systems like free2slap, but even he seems to admit to the two reasons above.

As an example, until very recently, Mushishi had exactly 0 votes rating it at 4 or below (I can truthfully say that 3 of those 5 votes up there now were posted after the most recent thread was created hyping the show), and Monster had only 3 or 4 (it's been 2+ years since it came out). Compare these two shows to the incredibly hyped Haruhi, that has received 85 such votes, nearly 8 times as many 4- votes as the other two combined. Obviously disproportionate.

How am I wrong? I didn't say it was actually the worst, hence the quotes around worst. Again, diferent people have similar thoughts because you and I are very alike. Do you realize you basically just said, in those second and third paragraphs, what I said in my post? Go back and read them both carefully, mine and yours, and compare and contrast, there's not much of a real difference. First of all Haruhi's or any other good anime's bad ratings has nothing to do with what I said. I said that people rate anime differently because, well, they're different which is then what you said...again. Every person has a different opinion and I was just saying that no anime automatically deserves a certain rating because it's all a matter of taste; animation, characters, stories, everything. I'll even add something to your example, Samurai X only had 5 worst ever ratings before Haruhi appeared and became #1 and #2 at different times...well, during this time period it recieved 12 more. Nothing like what Haruhi got but it made a difference for this anime, it had an average rating of 9.17, now it's 9.08. Here's the problem with your argument, you think I'm going against you or something when all I said was that people have different opinions. How the hell did you see it differently? I don't know.
smoochy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Just finished the last episode about a minute ago... When is it being licencensed? I'm just waiting with my wallet wide open, so they better hurry up and get it.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, no one knows when the license may be coming, but most of us have our hopes up for a US release next year (probably won't happen). I will say this though, who ever liscenses this will have a diamond in the rough, they'll pretty much have to put in culture notes or else no one will get many of the gags in the anime, and the better have a good sub track, cause the dub will be VERY hard if not impossible to even match this sub (the VAs match the characters to the T). I can see this anime hitting it off in America, with the proper anime company and advertisement (heck, if the new license group that's doing Beet the Vandel Buster does a good job on that, then hopefully they'll get it, it would be nice to see someone other than ADV, Funimation, or Viz get a jewel like this).

P.S. I misspell license a lot, decided I would look it up ><
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Uhhh, that new license group Illumitoon you're referring to only concentrates anime series that's strickly for kids. Rolling Eyes

I'll say this though. If the series does gets licensed, this is going to be one of the most highly anticipated English dubs just for the fact the Japanese VAs did a damn good job with their characters. But I don't think it'll be impossible given the right group of VAs. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 55 of 213