• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Meganebu Anime About Glasses-Wearing Boys Previewed in Ad

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think it's cool to see such a young talent get a chance like this, especially in an industry that has a surplus of middle-aged or older men.

I will just say that there is one other extremely young female director having her TV debut this fall.I am talking about Rie Matsumoto and she is the most talented person currently employed at Toei.Seriously, rarely does a talent like this pop up I cant wait for her to inevitably leave Toei and some work for other studios.
Quote:
Most studio artistic staff are already female.

Ahhh,no.I mean even in KyoAni that employs a big number of female workers ,artistic staff is mostly male.Unless you have some disprove my assertions,I would very intrigues to look at them.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
Wait... what? An anime about an eyeglasses club? What? I'll definitely watch this and will probably end up loving it to bits (I know myself all to well), but what a weird premise.

Really? Both guys and girls have megane fetishes Laughing

I especially like Hubert from Tales of Graces
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
I will just say that there is one other extremely young female director having her TV debut this fall.I am talking about Rie Matsumoto and she is the most talented person currently employed at Toei.Seriously, rarely does a talent like this pop up I can't wait for her to inevitably leave Toei and some work for other studios.

Neat! I had overlooked that. Kyousogiga looks goddamn bananas, which is awesome. I'll be looking forward to that one.

Man, this fall season is looking pretty amazing.

danilo07 wrote:
Quote:

Ahhh,no.I mean even in KyoAni that employs a big number of female workers ,artistic staff is mostly male.Unless you have some disprove my assertions,I would very intrigues to look at them.

Nobody seems to be on the strongest evidential ground here, although I'm naturally more inclined to believe danilo07. (Maybe this is a case for Answerman) Further, as the context implies, I was referring in particular to the senior creative staff. I'm also as much struck by the fact that Sōbi Yamamoto is very young and has a small portfolio of mostly independent works to her credit thus far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:

And what do you think those workers do? Do you think they are all secretaries assigned to serve coffee for each male animator? Have you seen any behind the scenes production footage at all?

Surrender Artist wrote:
Nobody seems to be on the strongest evidential ground here, although I'm naturally more inclined to believe danilo07. (Maybe this is a case for Answerman) Further, as the context implies, I was referring in particular to the senior creative staff. I'm also as much struck by the fact that Sōbi Yamamoto is very young and has a small portfolio of mostly independent works to her credit thus far.

I am referring specifically to your statement:
Quote:
especially in an industry that has a surplus of middle-aged or older men.

That is simply not the case at all. Now I admit I don't have exact figures, but I am positive your assertion is simply wrong. I mean why not ask the opposite? Is there any evidence to support the claim that the creative staff of the industry is overwhelmingly men? At the least there seems to be more evidence against that claim

If you look at all the behind the scenes production footage, you'll see for yourself that most of the animation staff--not secretaries, not HR, not PR, not mangement, but actual creative staff members--including those working along side the director are women. Ufotable Kara no Kyoukai footage: creative staff? Women. KyoAni? creative staff? Women. ANN has some video here, like Studio Pierrot staff working on Naruto? Women.

This is very much like assumptions about the gender makeup about Comiket. Most people who don't know simply assume the majority of material is for men, when the opposite is true, even for erotic material. (this I do have figures for) And similarly likewise many manga titles that target men. People just assume the mangaka are all men.
Jave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
This is very much like assumptions about the gender makeup about Comiket. Most people who don't know simply assume the majority of material is for men, when the opposite is true, even for erotic material. (this I do have figures for) And similarly likewise many manga titles that target men. People just assume the mangaka are all men.

People still get surprised when you tell them a woman created Kodomo no Jikan Laughing A lot of perverted manga are made by women... Maybe they look at our domestic animation industry and see mostly men so they assume Japan's industry is the same. Anime and manga have a very nice balance between the genders.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Yawn.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
This is the anime that serves as promotion for the glasses-making industry of the town, right?
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And what do you think those workers do? Do you think they are all secretaries assigned to serve coffee for each male animator? Have you seen any behind the scenes production footage at all?

What?You are making some weird assertions here.I was talking about creative staff of course not secretaries .And yes I did see behind the scenes production footage,fascinatingly I did not see as nearly as much women as you did.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:43 am Reply with quote
My glasses are better.
Llilit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote
Anyone else think this show looks a bit... silly. Idk, it just looks a bit boring in my opinion (This is coming from someone who usually love megane anime guys). I'll try to keep an open mind and check it out, it may turn out to be awesome, but at this stage, it doesn't really appeal to me. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2