• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki Retires From Making Feature Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:13 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Gotta love the "Miyazaki sucked after Spirited Away" canard from people who really mean "I started to get tired of Ghibli's way of filmmaking after awhile." For instance Ponyo's just as valid for what it is as My Neighbor Totoro (a very pretty, fairly laid-back children's movie that is not at all for the anime fans who complain about it), yet it's supposed to exemplify how the man jumped the shark somehow. Yeah, no. On his worst day he's done enviable work that I'd gladly sit through again.

No, I meant and always will mean Miyazaki sucked after Spirited Away. That is what I meant. Hell, Ghibli as a whole sucked after Spirited Away. Have you seen that shitty Cat Returns movie? Good Lord, even Disney Toon movies like Return to Neverland and Jungle Book II are better than that. I am not kidding.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
@Ryo Also Miyazaki tends to be ultra critical to anything, except products made by himself, Takahata and according to John Lasseter, he views Pixar/John in the same way John sees Studio Ghibli, but outside of that, he hates everything.

That is simply not true. He has great respect for European animation. He took the initiative to distribute many under the Studio Ghibli label. See below:

Distributive works
These Western animated films (plus one Japanese film) have been distributed by Studio Ghibli, and now through their label, Ghibli Museum Library.

Mr. Bug Goes to Town (1941) (a American film by Fleischer Studios)
Konyok Gorbunok (1947) (a Russian film by Ivan Ivanov-Vano)
Animal Farm (1954) (a British film by Halas and Batchelor)
Snezhnaya koroleva (1957) (a Russian film by Lev Atamanov)
Przygody Myszki (1976) (a Polish animation series made-film by Eugeniusz Kotowski)
Le Roi et l'oiseau (1980) (a French film by Paul Grimault)
Kirikou et la sorcière (1998) (a French/Belgian film by Michel Ocelot)
Princes et princesses (1999) (a French film by Michel Ocelot)
Les Triplettes de Belleville (2002) (a French film by Sylvain Chomet)
Winter Days a.k.a. Fuyu no Hi (2004) (an experimental animation anthology by Kihachirō Kawamoto)
Azur & Asmar: The Princes' Quest (2006) (a French film by Michel Ocelot)
Moya Iyubov (2006) (a Russian film by Aleksandr Petrov)
Kirikou et les bêtes sauvages (2007) (a French film by Michel Ocelot)
L'Illusionniste (2010) (A British/French film by Sylvain Chomet)
Les Contes de la nuit (2011) (a French film by Michel Ocelot)
Arrugas (2012) (a Spanish film by Ignacio Ferreras)
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:35 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
That is what I meant. Hell, Ghibli as a whole sucked after Spirited Away.

Right, sure. By all means explain how Howl's and Arrietty and From Up on Poppy Hill are "a mess" or "a trainwreck" or whatever label typically goes with the cliche bashing of newer things these days. Explain how Ponyo is so different from Totoro that it's "terrible." Etc, etc. Not that such movies as these are "not as good as I wanted it to be", mind you, not "disappointing", not "too familiar" but legitimately awful as pieces of filmmaking. That's your harsh and specific criticism toward a huge chunk of output from one of the most accomplished 2D animation studios in the world.

Miyazaki doesn't suck because he made a movie that didn't click for you.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote
It's going to feel weird not seeing a Miyazaki film come out every couple of years or so. But everyone needs to retire at some point.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I think it's funny watching Anime fans that bash Studio Ghibli. Quite frankly Ghibli doesn't care and doesn't even like to think itself as producing Anime. They are very much in the vein of Disney. However, unlike Disney along with their standard fare family movies they also produce absolutely heartrending shows like 'Grave of the Fireflies'.

May they ever keep on in their path, ignoring all the late night anime fans!
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad. Sad

Please someone gives him some extra 10-20 years of life to make more movies. To Isao Takahata, too. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's the end of an era for amazing films. I guess we should be glad we all got to know the name "Hayao Miyazaki", I knew this day was coming, I just wish it wasn't so soon. Although Goro is going to take over it's still not going to be the same. It will still have wonderful films, but I don't think there will ever be another "Spirited Away" or another "My Neighbor Totoro" thank you Mr. Miyazaki for all the love you've poured out into your work. We're really going to miss you.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Now he'll have more time to do what he loves.

Wandering the desert with Hideaki Anno while Anno doesn't work on making sure the next Rebuild movie isn't enormously disappointing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
inu-liger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
RakuenOokami wrote:
Miyazaki has said he's going to retire after almost every film since Princess Mononoke. Maybe this time he really means it, maybe not.

So is he the Japanese equivalent of Elton John then? Smile
Davy0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:12 am Reply with quote
All legends have to come to an end sometime, and this legend needs rest, innovative and unique, he has shown the world a passion which, although weird at times, very intuitive and exceptionally showcased.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:12 am Reply with quote
Sweet. Now I'll be able to have a complete set of Blu-ray for his Ghibli theatrical work by next year. Bring on the Miyazaki Hayao marathon nights, Japan. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY ¥¥¥¥!!
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
This announcement has somewhat more permanency to it than previous retirement announcements. It's not because he's up there in years, age is irrelevant, Miyazaki will always be a kid inside. I just think it's come to that time where maybe there aren't any more stories to tell. Well maybe in retirement he'll have time to just work on manga again or something.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
This announcement has somewhat more permanency to it than previous retirement announcements. It's not because he's up there in years, age is irrelevant, Miyazaki will always be a kid inside. I just think it's come to that time where maybe there aren't any more stories to tell. Well maybe in retirement he'll have time to just work on manga again or something.

If he'll work on a new manga I'll be happy... As for now, though, I already miss his movies. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quote
Isn't this not the first time that Miyazaki has declared his intention to retire?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
Well, I wonder if he has faith in his son to run the business.

Also is there any word in the rumor mill about Ghibli being handed over to Disney. I came across a article but I don't know how true this was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7