• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Anti-Piracy Act from U.S. Congress Leaked

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Palefire

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Shale wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Jetto wrote:
If you want to watch unlicensed stuff that bad then move to Japan. Otherwise, stop QQing. It is not your God-given right to watch unlicensed anime.

EDIT: or licensed anime, for that matter...

*illicitly streams some animu from some shady site*

Whaddya know. I just did it. Of my own free will. So, I guess it IS god-given.

So anything it's physically possible for you to do is a God-given right? Does that include stabbing people?

(The above is not intended to imply that media piracy and assault are similar except inasmuch as they are (a) not particularly nice things to do and (b) still humanly possible)

except the fact that when you stab someone, no doubt, there is damage that happened.

And someone stealing from another person isn't damage? You realize anime/manga/movies are still businesses. financial damage is still damage. These people have to make money in order to continue doing what they do. I'll take his analogy and make it more fitting. So if I went up and stole the project you just spent a year creating (and from which you receive your income) from your house and didn't pay you a cent for it, no damage was done? And then what if everyone else came by and stole copies of it from him too. Still no damage? And it's okay because we possess the right to view anything created before buying it anyway?
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote
fudge you america, the only reason I've been able to finish a lot of shows I've wanted to see is because of these illegal sites.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote
tsunayakuin wrote:
fudge you america, the only reason I've been able to finish a lot of shows I've wanted to see is because of these illegal sites.

don't know if troll or a ret**d
Shale

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

except the fact that when you stab someone, no doubt, there is damage that happened.

Shale wrote:
(The above is not intended to imply that media piracy and assault are similar except inasmuch as they are (a) not particularly nice things to do and (b) still humanly possible)

Reading: It's fundamental!
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
Palefire wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
Shale wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Jetto wrote:
If you want to watch unlicensed stuff that bad then move to Japan. Otherwise, stop QQing. It is not your God-given right to watch unlicensed anime.

EDIT: or licensed anime, for that matter...

*illicitly streams some animu from some shady site*

Whaddya know. I just did it. Of my own free will. So, I guess it IS god-given.

So anything it's physically possible for you to do is a God-given right? Does that include stabbing people?

And someone stealing from another person isn't damage? You realize anime/manga/movies are still businesses. financial damage is still damage. These people have to make money in order to continue doing what they do. I'll take his analogy and make it more fitting. So if I went up and stole the project you just spent a year creating (and from which you receive your income) from your house and didn't pay you a cent for it, no damage was done? And then what if everyone else came by and stole copies of it from him too. Still no damage? And it's okay because we possess the right to view anything created before buying it anyway?

Stealing --> depriving someone of his property
Pirating --> producing a copy of the property. It doesn't deprive someone of his property.

EDIT: The damage is not clear. We're talking about unlicensed anime here. Even if I didn't watched it, noting will be lose since that product isn't offered in my area in the first place.

Last edited by Ermat_46 on Thu May 12, 2011 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote
Good gravy....THIS argument again?
Rolling Eyes

To the people who said not to worry because certain illegal torrent sites located in other countries can't be harmed: YES. That is true, but certainly the government can block Americans from using such sites? It's been done before on certain youtube channels, and various streaming sites.

I have mixed feelings about this bill as well.

I applaud the US for attempting to stop people from downloading illegal content. It's gotten WAY out of hand at this point- movies, shows, music, even books can be downloaded illegally! I'm personally one of those people that views piracy on par with stealing, and there's a good reason for it. I currently know a LOT of people in both the writing and film industry whom have been affected by so many people downloading their work illegally.
In all seriousness, I have no clue how we got to this stage where personal moral and national taboo are basically chucked out the window in order to save a few bucks. People think that stealing is ok, as long as it's done online which (in this author's opinion) is as strange as it is absurd.

There is always the choice of learning Japanese and importing your favorite shows and manga from overseas.

That being said, I'm more curious how this bill would affect things like fanart and AMV's. Will these things be taken down as well? Because they are given to the public for free, and don't really hurt the industry in any manner I'm aware of (unless people were to use torrents to make them, or sell such things online), I wonder how the government would deal with such things?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
Boo-hoo.

First of all, I'm not worried about this because it isn't a law yet. It's just a suggestion for a possible bill. But I doubt it will go anywhere, especially not with a strong democrat presence still in Washington. Liberals don't like things that will restrict their voters' 'rights'.

People will always find a way of getting the same product for less, whether that means watching stuff on non-US sites or (heaven forbid!) going back to the era where you went to Chinatown for pirated movies/anime.

I say...go for it. Because as soon as you shut down one site, another site with the same content will appear. It's like the whole Wikileaks thing - knock out the main site and there are 800+ other websites waiting in the wings with exactly the same materials.

This is just for show, to make the US actually seem like it is doing something "proactive".
nekedo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
This is going to create jobs, right?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:28 am Reply with quote
Five pages of commentary and the most important aspect of this bill is overlooked: The contents were leaked.

This means a democratic congress introduced a bill in secrecy.

This means a democratic congress motioned the bill in secrecy.

None of which is covered under an act of war.

Yet piracy is the issue?

Perhaps it is just me who hasn't seen a single news article written indicating businesses have shut down because of piracy.

Probably because they're buried between all those record-breaking sales news articles I keep seeing pop up everywhere.
Shale

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The digital content business website PaidContent.org reported on Wednesday that the contents of a new anti-piracy act being drafted by the United States Congress have been leaked.

Seriously. Reading. It's good.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Palefire wrote:

"Blind buying" is what you do for almost ANYTHING you get. I see the trailer for a movie, it looks good, I go pay to see it. Anime is no different. You don't inherently possess the right to view an entire product (which people use to make a LIVING and provide for a family) and THEN decide whether you want to buy it. Because you've already gotten the full experience of it. It's not like it's going to be any different the second time you watch it. Even then, you could just load up that AVI file and give it another go. Movie pirating is ridiculous. I know a lot of you say you watch a series then if you like it you buy it, and I'm the same way. But for everyone like me, I know 5+ guys who aren't the same way, who never pay a cent for media. They watch every movie that comes out, every anime series they can find, read scans online of licensed material, and never buy a single item in support of the industry or the creators. I don't see anyone complaining that they have to pay for a movie ticket BEFORE they see the movie. You don't get to eat the entire meal before you decide whether or not to buy it. No one seems to be complaining that they have to commit to buying the meal they're about to eat BEFORE they get to eat it. Some places are kind enough to give you a sample to try before you buy it. Just like trailers. So you've got an idea what you're getting into. It's not blind buying. It's what people have done for years and years and years before online piracy was even an option.

A lot of you who are in favor of piracy are looking at it from a selfish perspective. Think about the guys and girls making the stuff. That's how they feed their kids. Yes, you should have to pay for the right to view their artwork. You shouldn't be allowed to view an anime series before buying it, just like you shouldn't be able to watch a movie before deciding whether you want to pay for the ticket. So yes, one would expect someone to "blind buy" (although it's honestly never that blind because people watch trailers, or read reviews of it so they have a good idea of what they're getting when they throw down the $$$) entertainment products. It's not as "blind" as you seem to think it is. But if people don't get paid for their work, they can't make a living from it, and then the work stops and no one has anything to watch, legally or otherwise. Anime is a business. And as others have already pointed out, the notion that piracy =/= lost sales is speculative, but it stands to reason that in many cases it actually does. For as many people there are like those of us who make purchases after seeing a series on television or that we downloaded, there are a lot more who don't, and majority is what makes business go. They download the music, put it on their ipod, and that's that. They download the anime, they watch it, it's on their HD forever. Why pay for it, you've already got it. That's the general attitude. It's selfish, and it does, in fact, hurt sales. The problem isn't just piracy, it's how big it's gotten. It's the whole internet culture. It's so EASY to pirate the stuff, so now it's not some underground thing. It's EVERYONE doing it that's hurting the industries (anime/manga, movies, music). It's so common now days. That's just how people get their stuff. They download it. It's free and they don't have to leave their house to do it.

Wrong model. You're comparing anime to movies when anime should be compared to a television series. For television a person is allowed to see the entire series before they pay for the DVDs. However since we can't watch Japanese television over here we use rips.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:

Wrong model. You're comparing anime to movies when anime should be compared to a television series. For television a person is allowed to see the entire series before they pay for the DVDs. However since we can't watch Japanese television over here we use rips.

Oh but they're still being paid for by commercial advertisement and TV ratings.

By watching online, a TV show loses TV ratings, which, if good or not, affect if the show gets a DVD release or not.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote
At: Palefire

I don't want to quite whole thing since its so long, but basically you're saying people shouldn't be able to watch anime before they buy it.

So, what about Japan? They are able to watch all of these shows before they buy it just by turning on a TV. How is this a bit different from what we do? Nobody in Japan would blindly buy an anime they never saw, so its absurd to expect us to do that too.

Or are you going to claim that having anime on TV in Japan is ruining that industry?

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Thu May 12, 2011 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
JDuks

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Is it still 2005 where you live? Cause in the rest of the world it's 2011 and at least 90% of the anime that is released in R1 is also streamed for free or at worst, for a cheap monthly subscription. This argument you're making may have held some water at least in some individual cases in the past but it's now nothing but a false dilemma. Gone are the days where you had to choose between piracy and blind buying.

I think 90% might be pushing it. It's probably more like 50% of what's out every season that is being simulcast. Of course that number will hopefully increase if this law makes piracy less widespread and companies get more incentive to license titles for simulcast.

DmonHiro wrote:
I don't get what the big deal is. People will continue to make fansubs, and I will continue to download them. What happenes in America is of no concern to anyone but americans, or people who have their sites on American servers.

This isn't 100% true. What if the law is written to allow the US government to blacklist websites the way they do in England? Not seize the domain, as it's in another country, but just force ISP's to block the site (which they can if it's declared illegal). I read about a similar law they wrote last year that wanted to do just this. I didn't really follow up on it, but I assume it didn't go through because... well.. it doesn't seem to be happening.

Jetto wrote:

It's easy to say if you don't watch anything unlicensed, or if you're the type of person who doesn't think about other people.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Five pages of commentary and the most important aspect of this bill is overlooked: The contents were leaked.

Drafted. The bill was drafted. I don't think your drafts that NO ONE is voting on yet have to be made public.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:08 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

None of which is covered under an act of war.

Yet piracy is the issue?

Perhaps it is just me who hasn't seen a single news article written indicating businesses have shut down because of piracy.

Probably because they're buried between all those record-breaking sales news articles I keep seeing pop up everywhere.

Oh noes! Somebody linked the news an hour or so early! Or found the press releases on assorted US Gov. and IP Rights websites!
http://blog.copyrightalliance.org/2011/05/join-the-chorus-voices-against-digital-theft/
http://www.uschamber.com/press/releases/2011/may/us-chamber’s-donohue-commends-senate-introduction-legislation-protect-jobs-a
http://www.copyrightalliance.org/news.php?id=109

They even had a website dedicated to it-
http://www.fightonlinetheft.com/

Seriously, it was being announced by all appearances, it just seems some anti-copyright sites lodged onto the news quickly that's all. Take off the tinfoil hate.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9