• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mighty No. 9 by Mega Man Creators Meets Kickstarter Goal

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanechin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
he had to work on neptunia?!
We need to take this man to a doctor, he might be in danger!
we can't let inafune fall!
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
kanechin wrote:
he had to work on neptunia?!
We need to take this man to a doctor, he might be in danger!
we can't let inafune fall!

He also lent his face to the character of a PSP dating sim game.
No need to take him to a doctor, though. Just contribute to the kickstarter. =P
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Inafune is all over the bbs on the Neptunia MK2.

This is great that he didn't lose interest in creating new titles. Many of our beloved franchises have some indentured servitude talent that would be better off without the brand name.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Mega Man isn't that popular in Japan, outside the Battle Network Games. It's more of a western thing.

EXE was the best series and was the only one with any kind of memorable characters/plot so that makes sense x_x Classic and X were the same game over and over again... Shooting Star was good too but yeah it also also just EXE pretty much only with new characters... Plus it had dat Meiru http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5116/j4aj.jpg

If he ever gets around to making a MightyNo9.exe I'd be all over that. The RPG series were my favorite too
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Kickstarters are all the rage now in days
Zero Gravity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited, I threw $120 at this project
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:
Mega Man isn't that popular in Japan, outside the Battle Network Games. It's more of a western thing.

EXE was the best series and was the only one with any kind of memorable characters/plot so that makes sense x_x Classic and X were the same game over and over again... Shooting Star was good too but yeah it also also just EXE pretty much only with new characters... Plus it had dat Meiru http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5116/j4aj.jpg

If he ever gets around to making a MightyNo9.exe I'd be all over that. The RPG series were my favorite too

To be perfectly honest, I preferred the characters and plot in the DASH games... hence my nickname. And I know DASH is some of the creators' favorite games, despite the lack of sales.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why they are only pushing current-gen systems on the 2.5M stretch-goal. Next^3-gen starts hitting the month after the campaign closes. My expectation is that most top-tier devs, such as those on their team, to have a decent amount of experience on the newest systems by the time it actually comes down to needing to get things together for distribution... particularly for a game that isn't out to push even the existing boundaries. This seems like it would limit options more than limit production costs.
lostrune

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
How bad are things when Keiji Inafune has to use Kickstarter?

Inafune is a strange one if you look at his sordid history Laughing This will probably be a fun little game, but it goes to show how odd the man is. Inafune left Capcom after comments criticizing un-originality and rehashing in the industry, then he goes to Kickstarter to make a knock off of a game he made 26 years ago. Capcom ended up making the right choice putting the franchise on the backburner until they could figure out what to do with it and it makes Inafune look very hypocritical.
JamesOnyx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:13 am Reply with quote
This was in one of the reports 100,000 Strong did just about 3 hours ago:
Quote:
As far as next-gen consoles are concerned, it looks like there are currently no plans in that department. When asked by Joystiq about the possibility of bringing Mighty No. 9 to the PS4 / Xbox One in the future, Inafune had this to say:
"One of the clearest reasons is that the developer, who is developing the core of the production, is Inti Creates, and they're not familiar with next-gen." He adds, "So with trying to learn that technology, with trying to understand a new piece of hardware, to get a new development kit, all of that comes with it an associated cost and all of that makes the stretch goal a lot more expensive."
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/02/mighty-no-9-stretch-goals-ignoring-xbox-one-ps4-due-to-tech-un/

Personally I never get rid of my consoles so I don't mind if they are a gen behind, I still have my Atari 2600 downstairs >.>
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

X-X4 are the best. Best gameplay and controls. I don't care about stories/characters in games. Only gameplay, level design and controls.
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Inafune left Capcom after comments criticizing un-originality and rehashing in the industry, then he goes to Kickstarter to make a knock off of a game he made 26 years ago. Capcom ended up making the right choice putting the franchise on the backburner until they could figure out what to do with it and it makes Inafune look very hypocritical.

That's not true. Inafune didn't make Mega Man. He started out as the producer.

The point of Mighty No. 9 is not to be a knock-off of Mega Man, but a reinvigoration of the formula. Honestly, Mega Man 2 patented the concept of video games - ask anyone who never played video games before, and they'll say they're about "running shooting and jumping", which is Mega Man 2 in a nutshell.

Let's not forget that Inafune is also working on the likes of "Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z" and that Animal Pirate game for kids, not to mention he worked on Soul Sacrifice. Is is hypocritical that he's making games akin to his previous works? Maybe. But what great creator isn't influenced by his creations? Hideki Kamiya from Platinum Games translated his efforts from "Devil May Cry" to "Bayonetta". Shinji Mikami is creating "The Evil Within", which is a homage to one of the best games he ever directed - "Resident Evil 4".

Really, the problem is neither the originality nor the un-originality of games; it is the extend of it, the scale. Using ideas from previous works isn't bad if you work in your own style and ideas. But an imitation, a complete rip-off of a previous work that acts in the guise of something else, is where the line needs to be drawn. The same can also be said about originality; making something original is great, but if you go too far with it then it'll push people away. The thing Inafune, Mikami, Kamiya, and other great creators have in common is that they know how to manage their vision; they're in the middle ground of both originality and un-originality, knowing how far they can go while knowing when to draw the line. They can make great games because of it.

This scale is why Inafune left Capcom. Capcom were always forcing people like Inafune to making the same games over and over again, going down the complete end of un-originality. And when face with originality, they went the complete opposite way with it down the far end of originality. Is it any wonder that so many people like Inafune, Mikami, Kamiya, and Atsushi Inaba defected from Capcom to go their own way?

You may argue that this kickstarter project is pointless since "Mega Man has so many games! He makes alot of money and is such a huge franchise!" Do you know what Mega Man is also? DEAD.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Too bad he couldn't do this such a thing in Japan. More symbolic.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Why is Inafune doing this? He produced games and producers are people who fund things, so if that's the case, we're going to assume he has a thick amount of cash in the bank. Why in the hell is he relying on outsiders to fund games, that he can EASILY make himself?

It pretty much has everything to do with the Megaman Legends 3 debacle. The Legends series was a cult favorite that had a huge backing (it was actually Inafune's favorite, and for many devs at Capcom), but it was unfinished (Legends 2 was a cliffhanger). Following significant fan demand Capcom started this huge fan-involved project to produce the final game in the series... exciting times for fans and the developers too, especially since everyone could be involved in some way, it truly was a labor of love.

But then the top execs at Capcom unexpectedly cut the project out of the "blue", pardon the pun. It was cancelled. They seemed to write it off as an "unprofitable venture", but I think everyone knew they just had bad blood against the rebellious Inafune and decided to flush Megaman down the toilet in spite. And not unexpectedly there was a huge backlash from the fan community, people felt like they had been strung along on false promises.

Anyway, Inafune felt bad that fans were let down, and in a way felt some responsibility (he makes a specific nod to this in his Kickstarter trailer). This project accomplishes lots of things in one fell swoop: it's a huge nod to the Megaman series that was Inafune's beloved brainchild, but at the same time it's a look forward to the future. It's also a way of making up for the dashed hopes all the Legends fans have gone through, except now they're even more involved than before (financially, even) and the games fate truly resides in the hands of the fans. Finally, it's a big middle finger to the new Capcom "regime" if you like, which if anybody's been following their record lately, well for some of us this couldn't possibly be any sweeter.

And that's pretty much it. I already made my pledge. It isn't remotely the Legends game I had wanted, but it looks promising and certainly like a labor of love, a true spiritual successor so to speak. That's why it's getting crazy-funded so quickly: anybody who's been following this story along can see that it's something like a resurrection of that original soul. So as far as I can tell these are good times, and I'm looking forward to how this turns out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2