• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Princess Jellyfish/Kuragehime on DVD/BD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I quite enjoyed watching this on Funi's site. I would pick it up for the sake of supporting the industry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Sweet this was really good but it sucks that it only had 11eps
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Princess Jellyfish!!! YEY!
egoist

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
How about less jellyfish and more DTB 2 release.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised this was picked up. It seems to have found quite the fanbase. I'm not sure how exactly mind you. I was always under the impression that Josei was by far the smallest demographic at least in term of anime. I'm not sure if this is a sign that this is untrue or what. If not, is it clicking with a younger female audience instead or perhaps finding some crossover success with the male otaku fanbase. I dunno.

On a sadder note though, I for one would take this to be pretty much the final nail in Tatami Galaxy/Five Leaves coffin. They announced the noitaminA stuff from Summer and now they're on to Fall. Clearly the spring stuff has been skipped.

It's frustrating to say the least. I don't blame Funimation for not putting them out. Obviously they just aren't very popular. (I blame idiot, half brained fans for that). I really wish Funimation would have just left these shows alone though in the first place if they weren't gonna give them a physical release. We never got any decent quality streams and I can't help but think that if Funimation hadn't gobbled them up then maybe someone else might have at least for a sub-only release. So yeah...thanks for that Funimation.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
CaptainAvatar wrote:
I look forward to picking this up on Blu-Ray. I liked what I saw of Tatami Galaxy, but gave up on it since I am not a speed reader. Dude, that guy talked way too fast! In fact, I was hoping for the bilingual release to give me a better chance to enjoy it since I hate constant stopping and starting due to my inability to keep up with the speedy subtitles flying across the screen.

I AM a speedreader, and I STILL couldn't keep up with it. I also gave up on it because it was making me dizzy.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote
YES! I love jellyfish and want to show it to my parents
egoist

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
CaptainAvatar wrote:
I look forward to picking this up on Blu-Ray. I liked what I saw of Tatami Galaxy, but gave up on it since I am not a speed reader. Dude, that guy talked way too fast! In fact, I was hoping for the bilingual release to give me a better chance to enjoy it since I hate constant stopping and starting due to my inability to keep up with the speedy subtitles flying across the screen.

I AM a speedreader, and I STILL couldn't keep up with it. I also gave up on it because it was making me dizzy.

That's what I don't understand. I also tend to read extremely fast and catch most of the action, but Tatami totally left me behind. Did everyone keep pausing it or something? I never paused or re-watched it because I felt the dialog really dragged a few topics to make the lines longer, which is why I didn't care much about missing one line or another for the most part.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I actually had no problems keeping up with Tatami Galaxy, Bakemonogatri gave me a tough time though. Anyway, this and Shiki for 2012? Awesome, hopefully I'll even have a BR player by then
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
That's cool, but they've acquired many other series over the last few years I would rather own. I never got through Jellyfish Princess, it was boring.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Only Tatami Galaxy's first episode from what I remember had a bazillion lines of internal monologue. The other episodes have them, but not nearly as much as the first episode. So for me, the only episode I had to pause was the first.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
It's frustrating to say the least. I don't blame Funimation for not putting them out. Obviously they just aren't very popular. (I blame idiot, half brained fans for that).

That's a really ignorant statement. I sampled both Tatami Galaxy and The House of Five Leaves and neither grabbed me. I am not an idiot or half-brained. I watched all of Trapeze, so clearly I don't have a bias against niche shows. Face it, just because you love them doesn't mean that anybody who doesn't share your high opinion of them is a moron.

And your Funimation comment is just stupid. Do you not understand that by streaming those titles, Funi was giving them the best shot at getting any kind of audience? The bait was dangled and people didn't bite. Deal with it. Besides which, if Funi truly doesn't plan on releasing the shows, that doesn't provent a NISA or a Nozomi (who are the only two companies I can think of that *might* be interested) from approaching Funi and getting the home video rights from them. That won't happen, of course, because those companies know the demand for these titles is probably extremely low.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
That's what I don't understand. I also tend to read extremely fast and catch most of the action, but Tatami totally left me behind. Did everyone keep pausing it or something? I never paused or re-watched it because I felt the dialog really dragged a few topics to make the lines longer, which is why I didn't care much about missing one line or another for the most part.

Speaking for myself, I kept my thumb on the spacebar at all times, and I was pausing and unpausing like a fiend at some points. I almost never have trouble with reading subtitles; I seldom even think about a dissonance between reading and watching all the action clearly on-screen, but sometimes with TG, I had to just pause it during the big, tall blocks of subtitles and read what was being said so I could then unpause it and follow what was actually being animated. This is one case where I think a really strong dub could be a godsend for a series.

I mean, I haven't paused that often since the really hyperactive parts of Excel Saga.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I have found a Tatami Galaxy support group. I could never get past episode 1 because I had a difficult time with the subtitles. I have never had that problem before. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who struggled. I can usually take or leave dubs, but Tatami is one show that I would love to see dubbed. But it looks like Funi thinks the show would be too big of a risk for them. So be it.

Thanks Funi for the Princess Jellyfish release. I was one of the people who voted for it in the poll and I promise to purchase a copy.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
At least I still have the R4 version I can buy. I was looking it up on the site a couple of days ago. $60 without shipping. For a series like that, I'm willing to pay. Plus, there were a lot of nice little extras included with the release.

The only bad thing is that I would need to buy a region-free DVD player. I know that cheats exist online to make some DVD players region-free, so I'll try to see if I can find one for my current player. If not, then I'll buy a region-free one online.

Yeah, I got my Tatami Galaxy last week, so weird when Australia gets something before the US. $60 is the norm for a 12/13 episode boxset here in Australia. But the set itself is really nice, I recommend buying it! Sentai is so awesome Anime smile

I don't know if it's considered a 'cheat' but I think most DVD players have a code you can enter to make it region free, that's what my dad did for ours so I could play my R1 imports. Hope you manage to find one to save yourself the cost of buying another DVD player.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6