• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FLCL- What was the point?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaybug39

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:20 am Reply with quote
I'd almost call it anime by the seat of your pants. I think a lot of the series was an artistic exercise, and it just happened to bring a little story along for the ride.

Take the end credits piece, that is another form of animation with still photographs. Personally I liked the end credits piece a lot. I even did a still by still rundown of it, just to see the things that blur by at normal speed.

I don't think a whole lot of sense was intended to be made. It was just a "trip," without the LSD. It wasn't to be groundbreaking in the meaning of new styles, or animation techniques, but in storytelling with art, and to bring it closer to manga form.

Everything you experience is all in your head, and what you use to solve your problems come from there too.
x_silversurfer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:35 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
The point was to entertain, I don't think there was a significant point to it beyond that. Considering the popularity of it though I'd say it was successful.

Hear Hear! Yeah, entertainment for us the viewers, popularity for the Pillows, and Yen for the annimators. Razz

Haha, just enjoy it for the sake of enjoying it. Sometimes Ignorance is bliss...
Lainofthenet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:25 am Reply with quote
I just discovered this series about a week ago. I have no idea how I missed it when it was being released the first time. I may have been off planet or involved in super-hero activities. Years ago when I first started watching anime I enjoyed the freshness and the utter confusion I experienced at times. Many types of entertainment are soooo predictable. (I will send examples if you need them Very Happy ) It is a story about growing up, of feeling like there is nothing to do, dealing with alienation and living to the fullest. The other point may be that some of the best things in life come out of our own heads so to speak. It is also just plain fun. Its point is to entertain. I found that the art styles, action, SF plot (what would an alien invasion look like anyway?) and the music were all excellent. The music fits the visuals very well but to fully appreciate it I found that a simple stereo system is necessary. Usually I don't buy a lot. I rent. I have seen so much anime and other types of fantasy (books, film, etc) that when I see something daring or original as FLCL I just have to own good copies. After all of the talk about Eva I found it refreshing to view something from the same company that did not try to over explain itself. It is the kind of experience that I compare to a long (without destination) bike ride. The first viewing made my heart skip a bit. I felt that same way when I saw the first aired Trek episode in the 60's (just rest now trek until Berman goes away...poor thing) and later in school as I read "Lord Of The Rings" for the first time. Another reason I had so much fun with it (I'm a lefty) are the Left-handed references.

V - me
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote
This is the kinda show that you gotta take at face value; it's a well animated silly and action packed romp. I love it for that. But their is a point, I guess. It's been a while, but as I remember it, it was about Naota trying to grow up to fast, and Haruko was the one who made him slow down and enjyo being a kid.
barfing_bunnies

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:59 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
I recently watched FLCL for the second time. I enjoyed it that much to actually watch it again, but a question struck me while I was watching it: What's the point/theme to this anime? Most good anime have themes or messages that they try to get across, such as Naruto and Rurouni Kenshin, but FLCL was so random, that it's hard to find out the real meaning to everything that goes on.

If anyone has any idea as to what the theme or message was in FLCL, please post it and give evidence from the series that supports your idea.

Moderators, if you feel this is a stupid topic, I apologize in advance. I just had to get this off of my chest.

I think that the point of the anime was to have no point, and possibly be an equivalent to the American Family Guy, showing parodies of animes and pop culture references. I never really liked it that much, but I feel that some of you guys need to loosen up about it.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Loosen up about what?

It's your opinion that the show has no hard storyline and plot. It's no less wrong or right than mine. Like I said, I feel FLCL is up to interpretation. It's no Evangelion but it's also not as flat as Naruto. I quite like Naruto, but I don't want to hear from anyone that it's anything other than an action fighting show with tid bits of drama.

Because I can't nail anything down, I'll say you could definitely be right. The holes in the show are filled with my own interpretations and ideas; this makes it easy to change from person to person.
morsmaestro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first 2 episodes when it started airing on CN. I totally didn't get the point, and thought it was just freakishly weird. After those two episodes and still not seeing anything resembling a storyline, I stopped watching it. No storyline = no conflict = no drama = me turned off.
(I saw some story elements and conflict and stuff, but not enough)
Maybe also because I'm not a big fan of comedy; I'll shut up and leave FLCL to the experts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I thought that FLCL was THE weirdest thing that I had ever seen and I still don't really understand it but I went back through my old issues of Animerica and found an article and this is part of it.

From Animerica - March 2002:
Quote:
Kazuya Tsurumaki makes his directorial debut in FLCL with a story he conceived himself. (he had previously worked on Evangelion and His and Her Circumstances, the two anime closest in style to the frenetic pacing of FLCL.) He acknowledges his aim is to make the most bizarre yet engrossing anime possible, and to those ends, he would flip-flop between several different narratives, camera-angels and animation styles - often all withing the same thiry seconds. He even has his characters poke fun at the animation in an absurd example of meta-commentary. The end result is disjointed and over-exuberant at times, but never boring.

Personally, I think this was also the result of an after-work drinking session, and someone took notes. Cool
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
It's hard to believe that from the same people who brought you NGE made FLCL. It's like "We're going to ask every question in the entire darn book with this one." And then you roll around to FLCL and it's something like "It looks pretty. Oh, and it's about sex."

Apparently, you could argue NGE was about sex also but we'll save that for another discussion. =P
Lainofthenet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:50 am Reply with quote
Furi Kuri is about sex or at least becoming aware of the existence of sex as a young person. There is much more sexual innuendo than actual sex depicted. If you listen to the director's comments you will discover that the studio spent the kind of money that would normally be used for a 26 episode series. It is true that the project was as much of an experiment as anything else. One thing I found very important was the bullying suffered by one of the characters and the effects it had on her. As one who suffered through that as a child it has special meaning for me. Common experience is generally a good basis for identifying with the characters in any story. I also think the idea of "the boredom of youth" is very important to consider. I live in a vibrant city but often find myself with "nothing" to do. As much as the series is action driven I find the characters to be interesting and human. I think sometimes that being in a state of "taking it too serious or needing to loosen up" is confused with passion for the material. A well known film critic says a film can be considered great if the viewer cannot bear the idea of never viewing it again. I think interest and enjoyment is relative to the experiences of the person.

V me
Monumension

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I thought FLCL was like a movie made by David Lynch; lots of bizarre things seemed to happen for no reason (or...??) and in the end I was unable to decide if these happenings were relevant to the storyline or not. I have absolutely no idea what FLCL was supposed to be about, but I don't really care. It's close to my favourite aime.

You might as well ask yourself: "what's the point of life?" There's no answer in sight, but we continue our existence anyway since life can be enjoyable. Right? Wink
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Lainofthenet wrote:
Furi Kuri is about sex or at least becoming aware of the existence of sex as a young person. There is much more sexual innuendo than actual sex depicted. If you listen to the director's comments you will discover that the studio spent the kind of money that would normally be used for a 26 episode series. It is true that the project was as much of an experiment as anything else. One thing I found very important was the bullying suffered by one of the characters and the effects it had on her. As one who suffered through that as a child it has special meaning for me. Common experience is generally a good basis for identifying with the characters in any story. I also think the idea of "the boredom of youth" is very important to consider. I live in a vibrant city but often find myself with "nothing" to do. As much as the series is action driven I find the characters to be interesting and human. I think sometimes that being in a state of "taking it too serious or needing to loosen up" is confused with passion for the material. A well known film critic says a film can be considered great if the viewer cannot bear the idea of never viewing it again. I think interest and enjoyment is relative to the experiences of the person.

V me

You know now that you mention it I am certainly seeing how sexual themes are so prevalent in this anime, left and right. What seemed like completely random aspects to the show now strangely seem to point to sexual concepts.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
silver_omicron wrote:
You know now that you mention it I am certainly seeing how sexual themes are so prevalent in this anime, left and right. What seemed like completely random aspects to the show now strangely seem to point to sexual concepts.

OT: YAY! My 100th post, and it's on my own topic!

Now that I think about it, I also find many abstract sexual concepts in the series as well. Naota's horns could lead you to the word "horny." There are also others, but my head hurts, so I'm don't feel like remembering them. But there are many others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2