• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hatsune Miku Virtual Idol to Perform at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackCox

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
Yawn, can we get a real musician, the one I would pay money for is KOKIA.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:21 am Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
Yawn, can we get a real musician, the one I would pay money for is KOKIA.

.. you mean singer, because there is a real musician behind Miku Wink
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:49 am Reply with quote
Miku is one of the few Japanese singers I'd pay to see. If I could take the time off work, I'd go to this convention JUST for the Miku concert.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:59 am Reply with quote
There's no soul behind her songs, hahaha! Laughing
Jikap

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:22 am Reply with quote
There is soul behind (some of) her songs, it comes from the artist/composer Wink

Miku is (to me,) like an instrument. How she sings depends entirely on how the artist handles her. Thus she can either sound beautiful or horrible depending on who made her sing.

Just like instruments, I do believe you can convey soul and feeling through her. Smile
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:48 am Reply with quote
Jikap wrote:
There is soul behind (some of) her songs, it comes from the artist/composer Wink

The music, maybe. Smile

Jikap wrote:

Miku is (to me,) like an instrument. How she sings depends entirely on how the artist handles her. Thus she can either sound beautiful or horrible depending on who made her sing.

Just like instruments, I do believe you can convey soul and feeling through her. Smile

If she has soul, then Justin Beiber's songs have soul. Just look at their eyes! Both robots! Laughing
Gurgeh

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:19 am Reply with quote
Topic Article wrote:
Update: SPJA indicated that the concert is "holographic" with "3D projection." However, the "39's Giving Day" concert in Japan did not use 3D projection.
Source please ? Or is the ANN editor again confusing the fact that the models are 3D ? There's nothing on the Mikufes page or AX announce saying that the projection technique will be different.
Anyway unless SEGA intend to work using Musion's Eyeliner I don't see the difference with Miku's Kanshasai last year.

enurtsol wrote:
Jikap wrote:
The music, maybe. Smile
Isn't it the point ? Vocaloid is about Music first no ?

enurtsol wrote:
Jikap wrote:
[...]Just like instruments, I do believe you can convey soul and feeling through her. Smile
If she has soul, then Justin Beiber's songs have soul. Just look at their eyes! Both robots! Laughing
Oh great a Bieber's reference, you really made a strong case here Rolling Eyes
Anyway Jikap's was saying that Miku was enough to convey the soul and feeling of the music she's singing. Maybe you should attend the concert and watch the audience to have a demonstration. Also if you accept that an anime character in a manga can convey emotions why would it be different from a CGI character singing ?
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:43 am Reply with quote
Hatsune Miku performs as well as my powerpoint presentation.

She does, however, allow for better scripting. I believe thats mainly due to her not being a microsoft product.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:45 am Reply with quote
Dude, I am totally gonna try to make it to AX now. First Kalafina and now Miku? Yeah, can't miss this chance.

So yeah, what are the odds I can find a hotel room decently close to the convention center this late in the game?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
Miku can't sing.

Her voice is horrible.

I want to tear my ears off just from just listening for a few seconds of it.

It can vary a lot depending on who is using her program, though she pretty much always does sound at least a little (and usually more than a little) electronic. I can see definitely see why some people wouldn't like the way she sounds, as even when she's at her best she does not sound quite like an actual human singer. Still, I've heard some songs from her and the other vocaloids that I quite enjoy.

Jikap wrote:

Kind of agree with this.

I'm also a really big fan of technology in general like this, so for me the whole concept behind a virtual singer is kind of intriguing and exciting. The fact that she can actually sound good enough to enjoy (at least to me) while still being clearly fake perhaps makes things even more interesting to me in some ways.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I'm also a really big fan of technology in general like this, so for me the whole concept behind a virtual singer is kind of intriguing and exciting. The fact that she can actually sound good enough to enjoy (at least to me) while still being clearly fake perhaps makes things even more interesting to me in some ways.
Exactly. Which is why none of the vocalists chosen for the character series Vocaloids were seasoned, professional singers. They used seiyuu instead to give a quality of imperfection to a digitalized media. That's part of the appeal and cuteness. Miku wouldn't be Miku if she sounded perfectly like a human's voice or was a flawless emulation yet clearly a computerized voice.

Anyway, for everyone who can go to the concert, I suggest buying your tickets now. The Nokia only has so many seats and with a convention of over 40,000 potential miku fans, only 7,000 are going to be able to see her.
Ariolander

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Considering I have no interest in AX itself, $50+15 seems pretty steep for a concert ticket =/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Just last Tuesday Sony released Hatsune Miku's first single for the US as well. Supercell's "The World Is Mine". The song they used in that Corolla commercial. Wink
That 39's ( cause that's what miku can mean in Japanese, the number 39.) Giving Day concert was shown in a San Francisco cinema just last September so it's not like this is a premier viewing. Still more Miku exposure is a good thing. Very Happy

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Fri May 13, 2011 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Metanomaly

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Ariolander wrote:
Considering I have no interest in AX itself, $50+15 seems pretty steep for a concert ticket =/

Not for a performance by a performer/group that isn't local, it isn't.

Concert ticket prices in general are insane these days.
SleepyNeko

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
$65 isn't all that bad, like mentioned above, for an international artist. I'm getting ready to drop $50/ea for tickets to the B'z concert being held at Club Nokia on July 24th. For $65, you get the concert and a day badge to the event. Decent deal if you ask me.

(Disclaimer: Yeah, I'm BrianR from the AX Forums and I'm a staffer at Anime Expo.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6