• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:30 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
I started Saturn Apartments this past weekend, reading the first 3 volumes. It perhaps wasn't quite what I expected, but I thus far I am liking it. The concepts are neat, although nothing is exactly blowing me away or anything. I think I somewhat wish I'd gotten the books through the library rather than buying them, but it's always worthwhile to support SigIkki releases.

Next up, v. 4-6 of Please Save My Earth. Wish I had v. 7 so I could keep right on plugging past that point as well.

I got saturn apartments on my wishlist and heard it was basically like a slice of life in space type thing.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote
Toto! The Wonderful Adventure vol. 3
Such a fun little adventure series. Nothing about it really stands out, but it's got nice art and it's just generally manages to make me grin every time I read it. Too bad it wasn't more popular...
Rating: Good

Love Com vol. 11
I think I'm done with this series. The main couple already got together a few volumes ago and nothing of interest has been happening since, just halfhearted forced drama and obstacles. Besides, I originally only started reading this because I was craving some more shojo romance after finishing Kare Kano. Dropped.
Rating: Decent

Yotsuba&! vol. 10
It's more Yotsuba, what more needs to be said? Slice-of-life doesn't get better than this. Still, there are a few things that bother me: I actually prefer the more cartoony art style of the earlier volumes and Koiwai's parenting leaves something to be desired. Smacking Yotsuba on the head when she's done something bad, not making her wear a helmet when bicycling (and not wearing one himself) and practically traumatising her when she's caught lying. Not cool, man.
Rating: Excellent
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
I got saturn apartments on my wishlist and heard it was basically like a slice of life in space type thing.

Yeah, pretty much. I mean, instead of space, it's a giant ring hovering above Earth high in the atmosphere, but it might as well be space. It reminds me most of Planetes, but I think SA focuses on all the employees when I seem to prefer it when they focus on the job (that is bottom of the barrel there, but much like the space garbage men of Planetes sounds really freakin' awesome to us).
Oh and I can't tell how old anyone is supposed to be, has to do with the artwork. Y'know how South Park has child and adult and (most of the time) nothing in between? It's kinda like that.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote
ah right. I wanted to read planetes but y'know, tokyopop, OOP, that old story so its not likley to happen now Sad

i'll keep saturn apartments on the wishlist anyway as it'll add to the diversity of my collection if nothing else but im still interested to have a read.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Saturn Apartments, I love that one! That series makes me feel all warm and happy inside (like hot cocoa on a wintery day), just like Twin Spica. But yeah, in a way it's more like Planetes with it's whole 'window cleaners in space' thing.

Speaking of Planetes, picked up the first volume of Vinland Saga while on a shopping trip in Germany (I live near the border, so it's not as impressive as it may sound). Now I understand the all the positive reviews. It's kinda like a mix between Wicky the Viking and Berserk. Can't wait to buy more.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
There's a German version of Vinland Saga? Thanks for the tip Tamaria, I might pick them up since nobody seems willing to release it in English.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Im DYING for a english release of vinland saga, methinks somone has staked a claim to it and is taking their long ass time to do anything with it.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
Im DYING for a english release of vinland saga, methinks somone has staked a claim to it and is taking their long ass time to do anything with it.

Most likely Kodansha, they're sitting on a LOT of great licenses.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
im thinkin viz myself, i asked em about vinland saga a year back and they actually replied to me with a "we'll look into it" instead of totally blanking me wich is what they usually do.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently slogging through Excel Saga Volume 3. I thought I would be more engaged with this title than I am right now, given how I tend to like comedies. Perhaps it's because I'm not always fond of the style where main characters are the clowns and garner no respect for the sake of comedy. (Think Maria+Holic, which I also couldn't really get into.) Being very wordy isn't helping, either.

Mylene wrote:

Next up, v. 4-6 of Please Save My Earth. Wish I had v. 7 so I could keep right on plugging past that point as well.

I wish I had Volume One - I found Vol. 2-21 at Anime North this year. I can't even start the damn thing, and I refuse to read it online!
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
There's a German version of Vinland Saga? Thanks for the tip Tamaria, I might pick them up since nobody seems willing to release it in English.

It's published by Carlsen and volume 3 comes out in August, and it looks like they'll release a new volume every two or three months. At €7,95 it's a bit more expensive than the typical shoujo and shounen stuff, but it does have some nice colour pages. There are also some extra's in the back, like a few quick history lessons. Oh, and the paper is nicer than what American publishers usually use. So, if you can read German, you might as well go with this edition.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:55 am Reply with quote
@ RAmmsoldat/Tamaria: I'm currently waiting for my order of Vinland Saga to arrive at the comic shop here since a friend literally snagged the last piece of the first volume from right under my nose.
But hey, Carlsen really has some good stuff in the pipe right now. Ikigami's release date was yesterday but I guess it only hits here with the rest of the Carlsen orders in about 2-3 weeks. So stoked that a German company picked that series up since I have the feeling that the German market is usually much much more geared towards a very young audience.
I'd usually also pick up the odd shojo title but the ones I'd be interested in are at least nowhere to be found in my comic store so I kinda stopped looking.

As for current reading, right now I've just finished Vol. 4 of Battle Angel Alita and am in the process of reading through the first Blade of the Immortal Volume and boy, that's some good stuff.
gsilver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
I wish I had Volume One - I found Vol. 2-21 at Anime North this year. I can't even start the damn thing, and I refuse to read it online!

www.amazon.com/Please-Save-My-Earth-Vol/dp/1591160596/

Problem solved!
lys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

www.amazon.com/Please-Save-My-Earth-Vol/dp/1591160596/

Problem solved!

That was my first thought too, but if Buster Blader 126 was at Anime North, there's a good chance they're from Canada, and Amazon's marketplace international shipping rates aren't exactly cheap. (I followed up by looking for the volume on Amazon.ca, but the prices were rather high there too.) I wish all of you searching for PSME volumes the best of luck—it's so worth the trouble of finding!! (any possibility you can get the hard-to-find volumes through a library system...? Or, for v1 at least, have a friend living in the US order a copy?)

I've been enjoying my monthly pile-o-Shojo-Beat manga. Yesterday I got Skip Beat! 28, Dengeki Daisy 10, and the first volume of Jiu Jiu, and read them all (in that order, from most to least addicting... though they were all pretty hard to put down without wanting the next volume)! Skip Beat!'s ability to keep my unwavering attention, nearly thirty volumes in, continues to impress me. Ugh, it's so good. Dengeki and Jiu Jiu are also a lot of fun. I also read the latest volume of Natsume's Book of Friends recently—always pleasant and relaxing. And I'm up-to-date with Oresama Teacher, which has a lot of jokes and hilarity but not much of a plot to follow, and far far too many characters (who aren't very well differentiated in looks). I love the series because the artist's sense of humour matches mine, but I'm not sure how widely it can be recommended... (I wonder though if her latest series, a 4-panel web-manga about a high school boy who draws shoujo manga, might be better suited to her skills and interests.)
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
Biomega showed up today so i read through volume 1. I tried to read Blame! a while back and just couldnt get into it, i felt that although the artwork was very apealing to me overall it lacked substance. If it changed for the better in later volumes i dont know because i asnt able to get the rest and I only read scans sparingly so i didn't bother.

Biomega however has enough plot to keep me going so far and so im quite happy with it. What i did notice is that alot of the action plays out on its own, by wich i mean you dont get the typical outside observer describing what folks in fights are doing nor do you get the guys stopping during a fight to explain exactly what they are doing or having an internal monologue about their abilities. While those things never bothered me in manga its kinda refreshing to be without them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 86 of 154