• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Just got through Blade of the Immortal Vol. 3 and it looks like the series is good to stay.
Apart from that Battle Angel Alita Vol. 7 & 8 and after that it's on to Berserk Max(2 volumes in 1) Vol. 4 & 5 and Bastard Vol. 3-6.

Vacation is the bee's knees!
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Kimi no iru machi - The most frustrating and faceplam/eyeroll manga I've ever read in my life, but somehow I keep doing it to myself.

Hot Gimmick - Good old fashion shojo, love it.

Fujoshi Kanojo - Big fan of fujoshi characters, but this manga blows, I would recommend staying well away from it.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
It's the shonen week! LOL Razz

- Naruto, latest chapters (590+): While the best of this manga is in the past, I'm actually enjoying the current events much more than the beginnings of the Great Ninja War. Good things are coming.

- One Piece Started recently, up to chapters 120-130: God, I'm loving it. It feels a lot like the first part of Dragon Ball. It's fresh, fun and very silly yet I can't get enough of it. A nice unexpected extra is the art, which I thought I'd dislike but it's actually pretty good and creative. Hope it doesn't become too boring in the long run. But so far so good (very very good).
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:

- One Piece Started recently, up to chapters 120-130: God, I'm loving it. It feels a lot like the first part of Dragon Ball. It's fresh, fun and very silly yet I can't get enough of it. A nice unexpected extra is the art, which I thought I'd dislike but it's actually pretty good and creative. Hope it doesn't become too boring in the long run. But so far so good (very very good).

IMO, it's stays enjoyable as long as you can keep reading it in big chunks. It's once you catch up and have to wait a week for a new chapter or a few months for a new volume that it starts getting boring. That's why I've been buying volumes without opening them, then reading them all at once when I get a good number that I haven't read.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Cant say i disagree, the week off every few chapters kills me so it'd most likley save my mental state to let it collect a bit but i just cant resist reading the chapters as they are released....sigh.

Today I polished off: Atack on titan vol.2 and Genshiken season 2 vol.1.

Really enjoying atack on titan, theres lots of action its quite grim and the art is nice and quite distinctive. The titans look kinda creepy too wich works in their favor as monsters i guess, stuff got really intresting in this volume and we got a little more character backstory too wich is always good. I can see why this series is super popular and am quite content to jump on the bandwagon.

Genshiken is back, i missed the hell out of it and couldnt hide my satisfaction whilst reading it. Loving the way the club is still a magnet for the eccentric and outcast, its like it never went away Very Happy

also hooray for more sue and ohno making a johnny cash reference that nobody got lol.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote

So I actually started reading Immortal Rain before Otakon, read 3 volumes, which I probably should've re-read before reading 4-11. Of course vols 9-11 were never published in English, not as a result of Tokyopop's closing, but as a result of them just not publishing the rest. Maybe if they had gone with the Japanese name of Meteor Methesulah it would've sounded more awesome and sold better. But when I started to read it again, it seems that I had remembered certain bits, but not like, this whole thing with all these factions vying for the titular immortal main character. But as an action series, it's pretty solid, even if I thought the story had some problems with things suddenly being monsters and the cross in Rain's chest somehow being magical. So yeah, I'm a bit hazy on this, but I loved the animesque art a lot, and anyone looking for a good action series should check it out. And while vol 9-11 were never published in English, that doesn't mean there aren't ways to read them...ways that I feel totally entitled to because I have the Tokyopop books of 1-8, you jerks.

Yeah, so I was gonna wait for the last 2 volume omnibus, but then, well Otakon booth had vols 7 and 8 for Venus Versus Virus for $4 each. So me and my friend both completed out sets right then and there. Anyway, I'm starting to notice something about the Dengeki Daioh magazine, at least based on which titles have come over to America. See if you can spot the pattern: Azumanga Daioh, Blood Alone, Figure 17, Gunslinger Girl, Toradora. See it? Lots of little girls, but not necessarily moe series. Or it could just be Seven Seas, since they also have Dance in the Vampire Bund.
So yeah, VVV has middle school girls as the mains and they fight demons and stuff and the big bad wants to remove souls or something, which will turn those people into monsters (or viruses). Not everyone can see viruses, but clearly the mains can. One of the mains wears and eyepatch and smokes a lot, the other is a middle school girl who goes from wimp to pretty awesome fighter, so that was actually nice to see her actually develop naturally and become stronger as an all around person. But for a story where you already know the turns, it's still a pretty enjoyable read so long as you like or don't mind the candy coating on the outside. It kept me turning the pages at the very least.
I looked up some of the differences between the anime and manga on TV Tropes, man, I kinda wish some of them had occurred in the manga, though the manga having a clear and decisive ending is a big plus.

I've only read 3 volumes so far of Switch, I just had to finish this one arc. The first volume is just kinda introduction, then we get the first major ongoing story that lasts somewhere through chapter 1 of vol 4, but with Otakon prep, I took a break at that point. I like the art, but it can be a bit hard to follow at times. This is because, stylistically, it does not believe in the color grey. But if you try and pay close enough attention, you can get what's going on. So the first major arc was pretty interesting, I had an inkling of what would happen, but not exactly how. But being weird, I have vols 1-7 and 11-13, so I still need those missing 3 volumes, lol. The covers mostly creep me out (just lookit vol 7 or 11), it's like somehow adding color does not help things, but the black and white art on the inside is quite a treat. And unlike other series that do that (Raiders), it's not too bright or too dark. And of course, it had that vaguely Death Note feel to it. I shall see how the story progresses, as the arcs are perhaps a bit predictable at times, but still enjoyable
victor viper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I just finished reading Madoka Magica, volume 2. The battles and the spaces created by the witches still of course pale in comparison to the visuals in the anime, but it's been an interesting read.

The fifth omnibus of Gunslinger Girl showed up the other day, so that's next in the queue. It kind of makes me sad to think that there will only be one or two more volumes after this one. I was flipping though this volume, and this time there's all kinds of extras after the main story (mainly facts about life in Italy).
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I recently caught up on After School Charisma. I had stopped at about the third volume; the first few volumes dragged a bit and was starting to get interesting when I stopped. But wow! I'm so glad I decided to keep going! The story really got better and lots of secrets were finally revealed. Of course, there were some sad parts. spoiler[I cried over the fate of first generation clone Hitler.]

I've also been trying to catch up on Blood Alone. But volume 5 totally annoyed me. There was lots of filler about the vampire girl's crush on her human protector, not much in the way of story at all.

I'm also awaiting the next volume of my favorite yaoi series,The Tyrant Falls in Love. As usual, the release date got pushed back again! Mad
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote

Y'know that feeling when you really enjoyed something, but you don't know if you enjoyed it enough to buy it? That's kinda the feeling I got with volumes 1 and 2 of Witch Hunter. Though I must say, the omnibus format works greatly to its advantage. It's just that it often felt of like, Tegami Bachi lite or something. I know Seven Seas put for fans of FMA and Soul Eater to try it out, but I'm thinking Tegami Bachi and March Story more. Though it has helped me determine that yes, I think that monthly shonen are the best. And it also got me thinking that, in my desperate search of something to turn my nephew towards manga, a shonen manhwa might be the best option. It tastes almost like manga, but it still reads left to right, so it's not as jarring.
But the one thing that I liked about Witch Hunter more than other shonen is that it has a good sense of humor, where the witch hunter good guys are closer to frenemies and the ever poor lead blackmails the hell out of his fellow WHs (as the series calls them) before offering to give them a helping hand. And when they all fight together and go "I don't care if you get hurt", they genuinely seem to mean that. But then the fights are a bit kiddy at times, maybe it's the paneling or something, but I was far more interested in seeing stupid banter than a lot of the fights, even though everyone on both sides (the WHs and the Witches) all seem to have some special hidden ability. Which kinda gives me pause for thought. I think it's the whole "oh no! how did you dodge my attack! You got behind me? But how?!" sort of dialogue. But I think I will rent vol 3-4 from the library, but it is on my watch list for potential buys, and definitely on my list of "things to use to turn my nephew to the dark side".
hpulley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote
Right now, all in Japanese, Nazo no kanojo X is great! Like it even more than the anime which I loved.

Also got the manga adaptations of Kokoro Connect and Dakara Boku wa H ga Dekinai but I am preferring the light novels of those, the original text.

Oh and the Tari Tari adaptation manga too as I enjoyed the show so much. Nice easy reading, furigana on every kanji (Dakara Boku wa H ga Dekinai is the same).
Mr Bloo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I decided to go back to the first manga series I ever read. Just finished Vol. 9 of Shaman King, and I'm remembering just how much I loved this series when I was younger. Can't wait to finish what I have in my collection so I can start reading the "newer" ones.

=]

Last edited by Mr Bloo on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I read Drifters volume 2 yesterday and I really liked it. It's like a Hellsing with less blood and more plot. The lack of a plot was my largest problem with Hellsing, so Drifters is much better so far. The history nerd in me likes the abundant use of historical figures from throughout the world, but I needed to look up a lot of them since some are obscure. There are so many references to Japanese history and no translation notes, so all of that is going over my head. The two characters that stood out to me were Hitler (he's only mentioned) and Joan of Arc. Hitler stood out because Kouta Hirano seems to have an obsession with Nazis. Laughing Has he written anything that doesn't included a Nazi? Joan of Arc stood out to me because she was my Confirmation saint, and I've done basically every saint report I've had to do since third grade on her. Her use as an insane villain rubs me the wrong way since she was basically the exact opposite. I still really enjoyed it overall, but there were some things I didn't like.
blueyes_ryuu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:32 am Reply with quote
one piece
naruto
death note
full metal alchemist
gintama
bleach
fairy tail
high school of the dead

[Mod Edit: Please do not just list titles, provide a little discussion-worthy content with them. Why did you decide on the title? How far are you? What are your thoughts on it so far? How does it compare to previous incarnations? Any or all of the above will work or something else even, so long as you're providing a bit more relevant content than just a list of titles. - Keonyn]
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:44 am Reply with quote
Blueyes_ryuu: Welcome to the forum, but don't just list titles. One of the main rules of this forum is that "discussions must have some measure of intelligence to them" I suggest you go and read the rules before you post again, or a mod will just come and delete your posts. Why have you been reading those particular titles? What do you like/dislike about them?

Mods, might I suggested that this thread is retitled "What are you reading now? Why?" as in the anime forum.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote
I've just got into The Earl and The Fairy. Though, there's a few minor mistakes (I don't think there was any white slavery in the 19th centurary South and it got one of the spirits wrong), it's an awesome read! Glad I decided to give it a try!

When it comes to Hellsing and Drifters, I'm the opposite of SereneChaos. I like Hellsing though I haven't finished it because I want to finish watching the anime first. As for Drifters, I just couldn't get into it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 88 of 154