• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:54 am Reply with quote
That's an impressive collection. And you have it all in order and labelled. You've collecting manga since 1997? And you got around 4000 volumes. That's like roughly 211 volumes every year. I wonder how much that collection is worth? Daymn.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:42 am Reply with quote
Stuff I've put away recently is not as well organized. I need to pull out a couple of dozen boxes and resort and label them. I have no idea of the worth of the collection. I suspect a lot less than I paid for them. Crying or Very sad Fortunately I'm not trying to sell them. When I do find that I want to get rid of a title I give it away in the subscriber "Community" forum.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
When I do find that I want to get rid of a title I give it away in the subscriber "Community" forum.

To which many of us repeatedly say thank you for.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
I finally attacked a few things on my pile. Well, mostly just one big thing, then some new things that came in and were all like, shiny and stuff.

Silent Mobius has been waiting for me to read it for a while though. I really enjoyed the anime, it has a strong cast of characters that interact well. The manga is also really good in general (though it takes until the 4th volume to call the enemies "Lucifer Hawks" like the anime just does from the start). The action scenes aren't always the easiest to follow, but given that I know 90s pulp scifi can be hard to follow in general, I actually find this very easy to follow, which is good. Though I think having seen the anime may help too. But I also know the anime doesn't cover everything, so I would like to see more. I've read half of it and have no plans to stop! Finding all 12 was what I was waiting for in the first place, but I'm already glad I did.

Horimiya is something that seems to be floating around as popular and well enjoyed, so I figured I should grab vol 1 before a big Yen sale or something. And yeah, I am glad I did! It's at least as enjoyable as My Love Story for me, but with a lot less diabetes inducing than MLS. MLS does spend an awful lot of time lately with Takeo staring intently/adorably at Yamato and thinking "I love her!" and not doing much else, which is adorable and all, but eh? But I am liking the relation between Hori and Miyamura here so I am very excited to read more of it. I'm clearly a fan of this trend of webcomics getting full manga (just look at One Punch Man). I feel like a lot of "they're different outside of school!" manga bore me, but maybe Hori and Miyamura are fun characters who aren't hiding themselves from their classmates too hard or anything, so yeah, definitely recommend this.

Not sure what I think of Otherworld Barbara though. I like Moto Hagio, but damn am I confused by this. Also vol 2 isn't out yet (Matt Thorn takes a while to translate, but it's always worth it, but I swear, every one has just one typo somewhere in it, and I found it here, missing a word), so it's only half the story. Even if I was following it better, it would still need another read-through I think, it's not as easy to follow as her other works (Heart of Thomas or Drunken Dream). It's still gorgeous though.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
Spent my day reading all 4 volumes of Saezuru Tori wa Habatakanai (aka Twittering Birds Never Fly) by Yoneda Kou.

Whoa. I'm in love. Haven't fallen this deep for a series since Ten Count.

While the uke is a masochist and the seme is impotent, the characteristics are naturally integrated into the story. I'm pretty late to the party but man, great stuff.

Read through the most recent chapter and ugh, why's this gotta be published in a bi-monthly magazine!? Totally craving for the next chapter. Seeing Yashiro who is usually so self-confident finally spoiler[show his vulnerable side and admit his fears of losing Doumeki] made me wibble.

Will probably have to check out Yoneda's other works after this. Seriously don't know what I'm going to do with all these books that no longer fit on my shelf..........

I'm also eagerly awaiting the 4th drama CD but it's a pity that it will end where it will end (read: HUGE CLIFFHANGER).......... No release date yet for vol.4 but it'll be sometime in 2017, which means the 5th drama CD won't likely come out until the year after. Guhhhhhhh!! So far away!!! Need to hear the contents of what will be depicted in the 5th volume!

And for non-BL stuff, I've read the last volume of Shinrei Tantei Yakumo and the latest volume (21) of Natsume Yuujinchou.

Glad to finally see the sweet scene between Haruka and Yakumo. The comic's over now so it won't illustrate the rest of the novels, but it's a little frustrating knowing that in the events after, Yakumo and Haruka's relationship has gone absolutely nowhere.

As for Natsume, Midorikawa sensei continues to amaze me with the way she continues to churn out such endearing stories. Seriously-- How does she keep coming up with all this!? I hope there'll be an announcement for a 6th season of the anime soon after the 5th is over. There should be enough material for another season without having to wait another year or two.
intothemystic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
Still in the middle of One Punch Man. That art bouncing from dynamic epicness to single panel comedic expression hits me in the happy brain space.

I just finished Genshiken Second Season which ended well with a minor point of contention. This is entirely due to a personal preference rather than any actual misstep on the part of creator. I'm keeping it vague on the off chance anyone is reading and hasn't finished.

I'm about to start Shokugeki no Soma because after two seasons my appetite is thoroughly whet and I need to follow Soma's journey to the top of the culinary world. His journey so far has really gripped me as he learns what he does not know and realizes the bigger world of cooking beyond his family diner.

Throwing in some classic Kinnikuman for the fun that franchise has always provided me.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
So I finally finished Blade of the Immortal. It was quite a ride, but while I was reading it, I definitely had some issue with it. There were often long stretches of time where it felt like nothing was happening. So that was a bit of drag. The political subplots and whatnot went over my head sometimes and I didn't find them all that interesting anyway.

I'm not sure how to feel about the ending. (MASSIVE SPOILERS) spoiler[I thought that the story was going for Rin to forgive Anotsu or at least not kill him. Rin saw that killing people out of vengeance simply causes a cycle. Rin saw what happened to Renzou, the son of that one Itto-ryo dude she and Manji killed. Rin constantly had to face it that her quest for vengeance only brought pain and suffering. So letting go would've been the obvious last stage of development for her. It felt like Rin killing Anotsu in the end went against everything the story had been going with Rin all this time.] Eh, other than that, the final series of battles were super awesome and the final arc was the one I probably enjoyed the most.

I'll probably look back at this manga after some time and think how epic it was. But there were moments where I felt bored which is why it took so long for me to finish this. I'll rate it good for now, but might raise it to Very good some day.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
^ I remember reading some of that in high school because it was a friend's favorite series at the time. How nostalgic. Very Happy

Speaking of nostalgia, I started reading Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I love the art. Akira Himekawa's style is so wonderfully old-school 90s shounen. It makes me feel like a tween again right when I was discovering anime and manga. Anime hyper And Link himself is soooo cute.^^ I'm excited to see how the story will unfold and how it compares to the game once I play it in the future.

Twilight Princess is the only Zelda game I have played though....so its theme music enters my head when I read it....even though it's the wrong game plot. Anime hyper
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I am reading the classics of classics in Shounen manga: Ashita no Joe. I find incredible how mature it is actually, if nobody told me I would think it's a seinen. Very powerful emotions run through the manga and it's analogy of boxing career with life is really inspiring. Joe is also an immortal character but also Danpei Tange, Rishiki and Yoko are all extremely memorable. I was reading this after I decided to try to experience an artistic masterpiece which is the reason why I am a fan of animation and comics in the first place: not just for entertainment but also for its artistic power. Ashita no Joe certainly is a masterpiece, inn fact, I might say it's a good example of manga as an artform. It feels like a "Iliad" or "War and Peace" of manga. I already put it into my top 10 but it is certainly top 5 or maybe even top 1.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I liked the part in Ashita no Joe where they got a freaking monkey to fight with him.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, the Malaysian guy. I just finished reading Ashita no Joe, IMO the most moving part was Rikishi's arc, nothing beats it although the ending was also very powerful. The monkey fight part was a bit boring and anticlimactic by comparison to the most emotional parts of the manga. A masterpiece of manga indeed perhaps the greatest work of the whole manga/anime cultural world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, been a bit since I've posted, lemme think of what I've read lately....a lot of manhwa, oddly enough

Moon Boy, a manhwa, I found it totally average, really. Let's just move on, it's not bad, but it's just so painfully average to me.

Snow Drop, I got this for cheap, 2 vols in, but I do like it. I find it easy to follow and I know some manhwa, I can't tell the characters apart, but they're all pretty easy to tell apart here. I'm curious how it'll differentiate itself from other shojo like it, but I do want to read more at least. On the plus side, it's pretty easy to get this series for ridiculously cheap.

Noragami has cemented itself as my new crack. I usually don't ever read scanlations, but I actually made an exception here (but the scanlations are only one vol ahead of the US release anyway), but man, monthly series! You get lots of story, but the wait can be so painful! And now I'm left on this cliffhanger, argh!

Yamada-Kun and the Seven Witches, I've finished vol 11, which is the first arc. I'm not sure where it's going to now though, I feel like it played out its story, so why is it still going? I'm willing to give it a shot though

More Horimiya, my opinion from last time still stands: it gives me delicious diabeetus!

Gave up on Totally Captivated. I feel like it has a solid premise, but my god, Mookyul is just too damn unlikeable. Not only can the guy not take "no" for an answer, he seems to think raping Ewon (the actually pretty likable main character) is like his manifest destiny or something, it's really unsettling and uncomfortable to read. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but just because your main couple is of the same gender doesn't make rape between them suddenly a good plot device that's enjoyable to read. I've never wanted a couple to just not be together so damn badly! And I'm the type of person who always roots for the losers in harems and inherently dislike the main girl!
In other news, if anyone wants to buy my set off me.... open to pm offers...

For new stuff, In/Spectre does have me interested to read more, it's Kyou Shirodaira after all. Bit of a time leap between chapters one and two.
Bungo Stray Dogs didn't grab me quite as well, I'm just hoping it gets more of a story, it seems a bit episodic now, I think it needs to strengthen the plot in the next volume. But I'm in love with Noragami now and that didn't grab me on the first vol either (first vol I thought was pretty average, but still enjoyable).
Twinkle Stars is by Fruits Basket creator, Chuang Yi published a couple volumes that I thought I'd have to hunt years back, but now do not. I get the feeling that Twinkle Stars is trying to build up something slowly, so the first omni was a lot of build up, but I still enjoyed it, but would like to see it kick into gear a bit next volume.

And I seem to recall having read more Princess Jellyfish and vol 3 is still just as awesome as the first two vols. I'm so happy we get two volumes at once :3

edit-adding, I also read the first 6 vols of Apocalypse Zero, the only ones that came out over here (out of 11, total). I'm rather upset, it's nowhere near as bad as the anime is. The anime is everything it's uglier, it spends more time on the ugliness, it's just so much worse, and therefore, so much more enjoyable than the manga. I mean, if you want to know any more backstory of the anime for some ungodly reason, there's a bit (the first 6 vols still don't explain the bad guy's sex change though), but if you were hoping for more of the same terribleness of the anime, it's not quite there. The anime gives way more screen time to the horrifying boob and dick monsters, and the manga didn't really introduce any more of them beyond those four. So yeah, you're not missing much, I'm actually disappointed that it's not worse. Although I do find it funny how instantly Horie becomes the only desirable girl for everyone in the series, it's bizarre.
Shiyonasan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:27 am Reply with quote
I hardly ever post on the ANN forum, but I've just got to share a manga that I finished reading.

Outlanders.

Holy cow was this a good read. Came into the manga thinking that it would be a typical ecchi/fanservicy series (which it does have ecchi/fanservicy moments), but that's just the tip of the iceberg. There's actually a pretty serious story that builds as the series progresses which I found very captivating. By the end, the series feels less like an ecchi series and more like the end of an epic science fiction/fantasy tale.

The OVA for Outlanders is pretty good too, but the manga is on a whole other level. Highly recommended if you're into this sort of series.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:49 am Reply with quote
@Shiyonasan

Wow, talk about a blast from the past. Where did you find Outlanders? I just checked and the 8th and final volume came out in 2000. Dark Horse first started publishing that series (in comic book format) in 1988. I can still remember tracking down those individual issues in the late 1990s because it wasn't all available in graphic novel format then.

I agree with you that it is a great ride. It was my first exposure to the Japanese willingness to destroy anything for plot purposes.

Dark Horse did two other titles by the same artist. Caravan Kidd was coming out in the late 1990s when I got into manga and was one of the first few titles I followed. It is as much fun to read as Outlanders but not on such a large scale. They later brought out Drakuun also by Manabe. Unfortunately they didn't finish it and didn't reprint all of the comic book version in graphic novel format. It was a fun trip as far as it went.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Alice in the Country of Clover: Knight's Knowledge #1-3: Honestly, Ace isn't even one of my choices for Alice to be in a romance with, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Circus and Liar's Game. I actually kind of like Sai Asai's art more than Mamenosuke Fujimaru's. It doesn't seem stiff. Anyway, the series went as I expected considering how unstable Ace is. I didn't hate it, but I didn't think it was as good as the other Alice manga I've read.

Bloom Into You #1: Let me start by saying that this is the first yuri manga I've read. I loved it. The characters feel believable and didn't come off as being trashy. I can't wait to see where the series goes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 141 of 154