• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:58 pm Reply with quote
godakame wrote:
Ryuguden - a very strange manga about 2 boys sporting bunny costumes and their adventures in a underwater whorehouse. Initially the artwork put me off from reading it, but I caught a glimpse of the spoiler[penis train], and had to read more; the style was reminiscient of the cartoon "King of the Hill" (very simpliestic and ugly), but I am growing more fond of the art as I read more.

I read the first volume of that a few months ago. It is easily the strangest (non-hentai, as thats a whole 'nother story) manga I've ever read.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:49 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
godakame wrote:
Ryuguden - a very strange manga about 2 boys sporting bunny costumes and their adventures in a underwater whorehouse. Initially the artwork put me off from reading it, but I caught a glimpse of the spoiler[penis train], and had to read more; the style was reminiscient of the cartoon "King of the Hill" (very simpliestic and ugly), but I am growing more fond of the art as I read more.

I read the first volume of that a few months ago. It is easily the strangest (non-hentai, as thats a whole 'nother story) manga I've ever read.

Try Matsunaga's Bakune Young, available in english. It isn't as strong of a story as Ryuguden, but it's still an amusing satire of old-school seinen manga. Utterly ridiculous; the body count hits triple digits within the first quarter of the book. He really nails so many of the genre's cliches. Again, it's likely to leave a bad taste in some people's mouths with the graphic violence and insane page layouts, but still worth a look if your into the genre. Plus, it has a classic Russian roulette scene Wink
Vinland Saga-Yukimura's take on the shonen genre hasn't enthralled me like PLANETES did (yet), but it remains one of the best examples of the genre being published right now. In particular, the action scenes are quite impressive. Unlike most other shonen titles, they're quite realistic and very well told; the first chapter rivals Berserk in terms of epic action. Outside of that, the story is a good one, with most characters coming off surprisingly morally ambiguous, rather than the typical good vs. evil. Right now it's in the middle of the dreaded origin story, which is moving a bit slow, but hopefully it will pick up when we get back to the present. It will also be interesting to see how the move from Shonen Magazine to Afternoon affects the story.
godakame

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:17 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Thats what makes it so captivating, the very odd story. Its in my nature to read/look at terribly messed up stuff. And Ryuguden has plenty of ****ed up stuff in it. My favorite scene spoiler[is where the fish-boy ejaculated out of his mouth]. Procreation must be very awkward for him.

DOMU by Katsuhiro Otomo - I just finished reading this excellent manga and I was quite impressed to say the least. The setting is more or less confined in one place: an apartment complex; it is here that a twisted old man with extrasensory powers likes to screw around with the resident's head (makes them do not so pleasant things). Grandiose things happens once a girl, who has powers of her own, is introduced. The story is finely crafted, and unfolds quite nicely. There were some scenes that sent chilles down my spine; I turn the page, then I shrek(on the inside) like a little girl. Nothing grotesque, mind you. It was the facial expressions and a certain detective that keeps freaking poping up.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm reading Captain Tsubasa World Youth, edited by Argentinean (spelled it wrong, didn't I?) fans, and man does it make me fell closer to my fave series.

I recommend it since it gives us a nice lesson: Fight for your dreams and soccer is good for your health.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
NinjaJedi007

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm reading Death Note and Negima! at the moment. Death Note has got me hooked. I've never really experienced a suspense/mystery story like that in regards to anime/manga so it's definitely a nice change. Negima is hilarious and reminds me so much of Love Hina (duh) and Azumanga Daioh. There are definitely moments where I can't help but let out a little chuckle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Milk Closet-Crazy, crazy shit. Not crasy in a Ryuguden sense, which uses bizarre or surreal images along with a fairly cohisive narrative; this one is just weird. It takes a whole volume to find out the story is basically spoiler[one of those "Team A saves victim B and defeats enemy C" series, like Saint Seiya on acid]. The story is so disjointed that it's hard to get a feel on where it's going, so I definitally wouldn't recommend it for everyone. Intertesting enough to look into at least.
[/b]
shamelessfanboy

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Milk Closet-Crazy, crazy shit.

Pretty much sums it up.

I guess I'll try to write a review next time I start reading a manga.
godakame

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:01 am Reply with quote
Due to everyone's recommendations, I've been reading some effed up stuff lately. I read the first chapter of Keep on Vibrating and...well I'm a bit speechless. As for Milk Closet, I'm really enjoying the disjointed story telling. I wouldn't mind collecting this series. Is it just me, or did that elephant creature look like a headless naked body of a woman?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote

Buddha: Vol. 1 Kapilavastu (paperback version) by Tezuka Osamu
Buddha is now more affordable in paperback format, the only quips I have is that the paper quality isn't as good as the hardcover version. It feels kind of cheap and flimsy but the printing was good and didn't fade. Buddha is my favorite Tezuka Osamu's title and rereading Buddha again just made me realize awesome it is. Buddha is a fictional story of Siddhartha Gautama's life. The art while cartoon, works really well. The manga is filled with many emotions, beauty, drama, comedy and even cruelty. It's a very humanly sincere. Reading it, I can't help but be move by the story. Probably one of the top 5 manga being release right now, imo. Tezuka's other title: Phoenix, Black Jack and Adolf are all good too.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Say Darkhunter;
Is this like Herman Hesse's book Siddhartha?

I just started acquiring Oh! My Goddess, and Ai Yori Aoshi, plus a couple other I have been too busy to even look at since I bought them. I picked up the first anime mange of Hellsing, but I just watched that last week. Ok, now I know what an anime manga is.

But, what is a Radio Picture?
milcor1

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

Buddha: Vol. 1 Kapilavastu (paperback version) by Tezuka Osamu
Buddha is now more affordable in paperback format, the only quips I have is that the paper quality isn't as good as the hardcover version. It feels kind of cheap and flimsy but the printing was good and didn't fade. Buddha is my favorite Tezuka Osamu's title and rereading Buddha again just made me realize awesome it is. Buddha is a fictional story of Siddhartha Gautama's life. The art while cartoon, works really well. The manga is filled with many emotions, beauty, drama, comedy and even cruelty. It's a very humanly sincere. Reading it, I can't help but be move by the story. Probably one of the top 5 manga being release right now, imo. Tezuka's other title: Phoenix, Black Jack and Adolf are all good too.

I heard the paperback version is flipped. Is this true Evil or Very Mad ?!
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I heard the paperback version is flipped. Is this true ?!

Well, the hardcover is, so I can't imagine them just deciding the re-edit the whole thing for the softcover edition. I really could care less IF it were high quality a la Studio Proteus. But the parts of Buddha I read were a bit lacking in terms of translation if I recall.
I just re-read Helter Skelter for kicks (heh). I actually forgot just how amazing it is. I used to say I liked Okazaki's manga River's Edge better, but now I'm not so sure. The two are somewhat diffrent, though they're both EXTREMELY dark. Ririko is simply one of the most complex and well written (and insane) characters in manga. Really a brilliant satire on the concept of beauty and a amazing journey into the heart one woman's madness. It's a shame that Okazaki no longer creates manga after her accident, because she was one of the masters.
AngelicPretty

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:40 am Reply with quote
I just finished reading Absolute Boyfriend.
I loved it because of Night, he was just so sweet, and made me wonder: "why the hell don't I have a boyfriend like that?!".
I didn't like the ending at all.

right now I'm reading Basara.
I don't really like the drawing style of this manga.
I love the main female character. she is just so strong (it's pretty annoying that she has tears in her eyes almost always, but I still love her)

and Red River
I love everything about this manga. especially the relationship between prince kail and Yuri.
anyways, I love every manga which is a bit "historical". [/b]
sweet gimmick

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Lets see..Lets see....
I am currently reading Soul to Seoul. I personally think its way better than I expected, and I had lowexpections at the time. But it turned out to be pretty darn good...easy to get into.

Also I am reading Hana-Kimi. I totally love this series, I've been following it for a while. Like back in 2003 or 2004 when it debuted, or whatever. I am currently on book 12 Razz

Pretty darn good if I may say so my self...Thats all so far..I think so...
Arcanite Champion

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Negima--Hillarious. I love the characters and the wierd but addicting plot. Awesome fanservice too. Thirteen days until the release of issue 10.

Pita Ten--Koge Donbo definitely concentrates on the cuteness thing but the manga is still funny and interesting. I hear the ending is pretty sad, and I'm definitely going to read to find out.

.hack//legend of the Twilight--Just got done with this one about a week ago. loved the storyline and the Character personalities.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 154