• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
saturn apartments has been on my wishlist for a while now, not that its unusual for a series to be languishing on my wishlist or anything lol
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to Wooga, I read v 1-3 of Real last night, and I didn't want to stop! I like how the amount of basketball is minimal, even if I actually know the basic rules to basketball because I used to play in elementary school on the local kids' teams. Though I'll admit I'm more fuzzy on rule changes for wheelchair basketball (which the author wisely tells us about certain useful things). But it's the passion thing that Hikaru no Go has that got to me. Clearly it seems to me that sports and game shonen tend to have the most passion, it's why you don't have to give a damn about it in real life, but the character's infectious spirit gets to you anyway. It's not just following passion though, but major life changing things in the characters and how it affects them, so you get the best of both worlds there. But yes, I'm now sitting happy on 1-12 and hope to read more soon!
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Finished reading Drifting Classroom yesterday. It was alright. There were certain characters I found damn annoying. At times the series can be quite engaging however some circumstances and the clashes of the casts personalities were vexing to the point I wanted to throw the book away!

Re-reading Emma again, to my surprised I love it more than the first time I read it. I'm so glad I kept my copy! I love its subtleties. How didn't I appreciate this series the first run is beyond me! I'm a sucker for romance and rig-to-riches plot device and I should've enjoyed this before. Maybe it was because I was just starting out on manga that it affected my taste or maybe my taste grown quite mature? Either way I'm glad I mindlessly decided to read it. I'm loving this series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
I've spent 13 hrs reading Tsumi ni Nureta Futari its a shoujo incest romantic drama about brother and sister but to a degree that is unrivaled. (if that means anything to ya) It's mature shoujo that has me looking for raws at this point.

My heart has been ripped out and I must see how it ends.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Read Shingeki no Kyojin vol.13. Usually as stories progress the art gets better but in this case it took a huge leap backwards. ^^;; What happened? The OAD that came with the limited edition was hilarious.

Today I'll be reading vol.1 of Kui Naki Sentaku, the Levi spin-off series. I've already read the prologue and first two chapters in the magazine and I'm very eager for more. The art is spectacular compared to Isayama's original.

The other day I started reading Mousou Shoujo Otakukei which my roomie let me borrow because she thought I'd like it. It's fun, but while it's a technically a shoujo manga, it can be embarrassing to read on the train because the main character and her best friend are fujoshi and they often fantasize. ^^;;;; Got through the first two volumes and am in the middle of the third until Shigeki got release and I got sidetracked. Will get back to this after. It's too bad my roomie only has the first 3 volumes (of 7). >_>;;
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Read Claymore #23. Just wow. Things are getting tense! And, as cheesey as spoiler[Raki being the only one to get through to Clare] kinda was, their reunion was sweet.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:43 am Reply with quote
Dorohedoro 12

Mostly characters dealing with the aftermath of the the events of volume 11, some nice action when the cross eyes gang and ens cleaners meet up and yet more mystery. good volume
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:10 am Reply with quote
I binge-read Real yp to volume 12 (all that's out in English). Dammit, why isn't volume 13 coming out until November?! This is going to be a difficult wait because it's so damn good, I want more now! Guess I'll go start collecting Slam Dunk or get more Vagabond now I guess.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
Soul eater volumes 12 & 13

Really liked these ones, mosquito is much cooler in the manga and its nice to see free get more time up front (hoping for more eruka too) in fact im liking that all these side characters are playing a bigger role than they did in the anime.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:36 am Reply with quote
I don't usually go here, but I wanted to comment on some manga I've read recently, specifically two:

Elfen Lied: Read the first two chapters, just to see if it was as bad as everybody told me it was. Not even two chapters in, and I've spotted a Big Gaping Plot Hole. Why didn't Kouta and Yuka take Lucy to a hospital? She's clearly got a bullet wound, she can barely say anything, and as we discover afterwards, has the mentality of an infant. Why aren't they even trying to find her any medical help!? I think those little things would be enough reason to send Lucy to see a doctor! DAMMIT!!!! GODDAMN YOU ELFEN LIED! AND YOUR BIG GAPING PLOT HOLES TOO!!!! Evil or Very Mad

Black Jack: Yay! Classics! So far, I really, really liked this one, even after reading one volume. One story I really liked in particular was the one with the A.I. doctor. It delved into one of my favorite themes, what it means to be human. Best part was seeing Black Jack operating on the computer, treating her just like a normal patient, even when the other doctors saw her as just a machine. I'm going to have to read more!
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
Finished Shaman King. Pretty sure Viz started putting these out just as it finished in Japan. The problem is, you get to the final chapter and it ends on a cliffhanger, so I had to go online and find scanlations of the "Kanzenban" editions which had the actual ending.
Overall, I think it was decent, but nothing special, I don't think it's something I'll be visiting again. Anna was clearly the best character imo though. I just feel kind of "meh" after reading it, I don't feel like I have a whole lot to really add. Hunter x Hunter guy clearly does tournament stories the best, I simply can't avoid that fact clearly. As a lead though, I felt Yoh was kind of bland, it's good thing the side characters were far better and more interesting to prop him up. But yeah, there's better shonen out there to read for sure.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:58 am Reply with quote
you mean they put the books out without the actual ending in em? that's sloppy as all hell.
Bolaum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Currently reading Berserk. I'm really really enjoying it. Love the concepts of this universe.

Gonna start Soul Eater as soon as the Soul Eater NOT! anime ends.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
you mean they put the books out without the actual ending in em? that's sloppy as all hell.

Well what happened in Japan is that Shaman King was axed with like two volumes of material to go. Later on, the guy did a "Kan Zen Ban" edition and completed the ending. The problem is, that'd be a separate license, one Viz might not have access to. So Viz put out all of the 32 volumes that did run in SJ, which is probably all they got the rights for. But they probably could've not said "Awesome final volume" on the back. Sadly, it doesn't seem that there's anything you can do other than go read scanlations in this case.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:51 am Reply with quote
that's becoming the case for a few things these days but its sad to hear that. I wasn't planning on getting shaman king anyway but something like that would get me down had i decided to buy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 114 of 154