• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordBookman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
What am I reading? Um currently Awkward Silence by Hinako takanaga. Why? Simply to expand my yaoi knowledge. I don't own a lot of it so I needed to start somewhere and this was the first I saw at books-a-million.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Quote:
^Why hasn't Rinne been animated yet!?

It has, it just hasn't been released yet. There is a trailer/teaser on the main page under news.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
SWEET!! I am super-happy then :'D
rumblingtwist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:39 am Reply with quote
I was rewatching Hell Teacher Nube and missed Yukime. Then I wondered if there was a manga and if the manga was different from the anime. Turns out there's a manga and it was a little bit different. So I'm reading Hell Teacher Nube right now.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I discovered that my Windows clipboard extender utility has a copy of a post that I made here on Feb. 9, so I will repost it and update it:

I have started volume 23 of Skip Beat and I am still hooked on it.
Kyoko is such a fun and interesting character. I really love her.
Her previously unnoticed talent for acting does seem a but unrealistic. But it is certainly not impossible, so it does not really bother me.

One thing that does bother me is that she is completely oblivious to how Ren feels, especially since she is so perceptive about other things. But this is not a major issue right now.
(And as lys (if I am remembering correctly) pointed out in a post that has been lost there is a good reason for this.)

The stories about Kyoko dealing with the envy and jealousy of other actresses are seeming a bit repetitive, but still entertaining and engaging.

I have now also read volumes 24 and 25.
That finishes the Valentines Day story, and it is entirely coincidental that I completed it the day after Valentines Day.
I will not give any spoilers, but there is an interesting answer to the question of whether or not Kyoko will give chocolates to Ren.

I have volumes 26 and 27 here. A quick look through them indicates that there will still be repercussions from the events of Valentines Day.
And it looks like a new character named Chiori will be introduced.
I will be starting, and possibly finishing, volume 26 this evening.

As I mentioned in a lost post, Moko, who had been missing for a while, made a return in volume 24 and it looks like she will be around for a while. Because she is one of my favorite characters I decided to start reading Skip Beat again from the beginning so that I can see the introduction of Moko and just generally refresh my memory about some things.

I an now near the end of volume 3. Since I have read it before I know to not read the last two chapters until I have volume 4 in hand, which should be soon.

I am still loving Skip Beat.
It is one of my favorite manga ever and is tied with Kamisama Kiss as my favorite current manga.

Last edited by Touma on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I currently in the middle of reading Kimagure Orange Road. I've had the Japanese hard back edition for several years. Diamond once offered it to comic shops. The only translation I had was a fan produced text file. Trying to read a manga with the book in one hand and the translation in the other was a pain. I don't think I got beyond the first couple of volumes.

Last fall, one of the Talkback threads brought it to my attention that it was being issued in digital format by eManga. I picked it up as was issued. It is a fun read. Basically a love triangle with sauce of special powers. It dates from the mid 1980s and some may find it a bit dated, however, I lived through those years so the disco references don't seem that long ago.

Most of the content on eManga is not to my taste, but you can find things if you look. Fortunately buying one title from them doesn't require a subscription or anything like that.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:51 am Reply with quote
Right now I am reading Shaman King. I finally finished a school project that I had been working on for a year now and with that all done, I now have the time to devote more for reading. I had been wanting to get onto this series for a while, I had read the first volume a long time ago but decided to try and finish off the series, since I had been able to find the entire set for cheap. So far I've gotten to volume 7.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote
I am still reading Skip Beat.
I just finished volume 26 and am trying to decide if I should start 27 now or wait until I have 28.

The new girl, Chiori, has not impressed me, but she does not get much more than an introduction before the story focuses on Kyoko.
One problem with Chiori is that she looks too much like Moko.

Kyoko is given a new part to play, but it is not in a show or movie. The president of LME has her playing the part in real life, not the first time that she has done this.

One of the industries best makeup artists makes Kyoko look sexy, including some rather revealing clothing.
Kyoko would never consider herself to be attractive or provocative, even though she is. She also has never before worn clothing like that and apparently does not realize what she is revealing at times.
She is just totally unaware of the effect that she is having on some people.
Of course Lory, the president, was expecting this and is enjoying every minute of it. So am I.

This story line has a lot of potential. I do not know yet if it will go mostly for comedy or drama. It could even be tragedy. That uncertainty is one of the things that keeps it interesting.

I love Kyoko but have never thought of her as a potential object of a sexual fantasy. that could change.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
I finished Drifting Classroom a week or so ago and posted some thoughts on the earlier volumes of the series.

The series continued to show its grit and explain or justified some of its more controversial sub plots well. The character personalities remained realistic to the situation they are in... Until the final few volumes where things became very bipolar and flowed too fast. The series could have done with an extra volume between the final two, giving more time to the spoiler[all knowing machine] and given more time to explore each characters reasons for spoiler[putting their differences aside when they knew they weren't going back to their own time.]

I found a few of the scenes became too OTT with the spoiler[killer robots, the mothers bottle being picked up by an American scientist who believes the note and the ridiculously cheesary satellite at the end are to name a few.]

Putting the above aside the series was overall Good with some Very Good and Excellent elements.

I also read both volumes of GYO last weekend. I liked the concept of the story and excision was well done, especially trying to explain and potty something so crazy in two volumes.

I did find the lead hard to get behind, for no other reason than being a push over and I felt no sympathy for his other half. Obviously the series isn't meant to be realistic in any shape or form but I did find the spoiler[circus and the uncle attaching himself to a flying machine to fly off with his assistant too much for me]. GYO gets a good rating from me.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote
Here's just a random something I'm going to leave here, Dark Horse is re-printing Astro Boy in omnibus form. And it's going to be in a bigger size so dammit, I'm going to just have to re-buy it. Trying to figure out how many volumes it's going to be (chapters can be of random length so...hard to say exactly how many pages each volume will have). I am such a sucker for Tezuka, thank god the comic shop is surely going to get it and sell it half off to me!

As for how I feel about the manga though? Well I certainly have read it before. Chronologically, the earlier works were in the last two volumes and frankly, the early stuff is "meeeehhhh?" but some of the less action-oriented chapters are really quite good, up there with some of his best. I enjoyed the two and a half-volume journey into the past where Astro Boy's origins are revealed once again in yet another ludicrous way (he has plenty of origin stories it would seem), although that should've been the end of the series since it would've made a perfect time loop, I dunno. But it's worth reading, except for the early stuff. The only annoyance is that the chapters aren't in order. Dark Horse didn't mess them up though; when Tezuka was having Astro Boy printed, yet again, he decided to go with favorite stories first in hopes of getting them out as no one else had ever gotten them all out. This set ended up getting all of it printed and it's the one Dark Horse went with. For the most part, it's not a big deal, except that Cobalt randomly shows up before he's introduced like 4 volumes later. For those who don't know, Cobalt can look exactly like Astro (he's like his special twin), so you can imagine Astro walking into the room where you already think he's in there, talking to Uran, makes you double take, especially since Cobalt didn't make it into the 80s or 2003 anime (only the 60s show had him)
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I am now reading volume 27 of Skip Beat!
I am still enjoying it but my enthusiasm has been dampened just a bit.

There is a rather extensive flash-back that is too dark and, in my opinion, overly dramatic for my tastes.
It is an important part of the present story, and leads to something that might, possibly allow a relationship between Ren and Kyoko to, maybe, develop.
I just thought that it went a bit overboard.

I am still enjoying Skip Beat! but it is no longer tied with Kamisama Kiss as my favorite current manga.
I would now put it behind Library Wars (volume 13 seems to be taking forever to come out) and Soul Eater (I am waiting anxiously for volume 24 to get here from the library.)
Doudizhu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Don't you just love it when you are reading the forum and encounter recommendations of manga/anime that you have already seen?? I sure do ha ha, I am currently reading the manga of Deadman Wonderland and the reason why is because i enjoy to read manga that have an anime available to watch after your finished/ decide to follow along. This series is crazy and has been on Toonami since the past few weeks. Enjoy reading people!!! That shit is healthy for the brain Wink
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Volume 1 of Nurse Hitomi's Monster Infirmary. Hard to explain in words why I like it, but it's probably due to how it's a the one of the very few cute monster girl manga that's NOT a harem series. It's just girls with general problems and their dealing with them with the help of a clumsy but likable cyclops nurse. The stories are cute and mostly self-contained, too. (At least for now. The manga gets quite a bit darker later.)

I also really appreciate the usage of ink for mood setting. I notice not many manga are strictly black and white (as in, without using halftone dots). This manga only uses them to highlight something, not to color it in. It looks very clean as a result.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Beginning to read Appleseed. I expect to finish reading all major Shirow Masamune works with this one.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I read Uzumaki last weekend and after reading some great reviews on Amazon I was very disappointed. I felt that the chapters didn't flow which made the storytelling feel very jarring, it felt like each chapter was its own short story with the spiral and main character keeping each one relativity connected. I haven't really got too much else to say as I'm not a fan on going on about something I didn't like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 126 of 154