• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Ummm, I dunno, a bunch of stuff. Guess I'll start with what's freshest in my mind.

Since I have extra time at work, I decided to bring some manga (can't play Zelda Ocarina everyday! No, I can, but I want some variety), and I went with Tezuka manga. I read Ludwig B first, I already knew something about this one going in: Tezuka died while writing it. And boy does it ever end on this gigantic cliffhanger, it's not even one of those "not fully resolved, but we can run with this" sort of end, it ends with one character asking another "so, what are you going to do next?" Like, imagine if Game of Thrones just ended after season 5. Season 6 never came because it was cancelled or something. But other than that obvious glaring flaw, I overall liked it, it's a solid choice for one of their earlier Tezuka Kickstarters (after their exclusive deal announcement), though I was a bit off put by how short and young Tezuka drew him. Apparently, he was pretty short at 5'4", but Tezuka drew him like Astro Boy or something. I looked up, and Mozart was the same height, but he's drawn looking completely normal. Like, before Beethoven's in his 20s, sure, draw him like a kid, but it was rather distracting and difficult to tell how much time had passed when he keeps looking 8 the whole time. I'm not sure how historically accurate things were too, but I've looked up some things online. But I also couldn't take the bad guy's motive seriously (he kind of just randomly hates everyone named "Ludwig" for some really stupid reason).

Then, today at work, I read Crime & Punishment, which used to be my holy grail as a Tezuka collector because it used to be a Kodansha bilingual only. But it was...ok. It was an earlier one of his works, and those are usually lower on the "Tezuka series I like" totem pole. It could be a bit confusing at times, but it did have some cool usage of panels too, better than many of his time. But I also wasn't entirely sure what it was going for in the end.

And I read the first chapter of Storm Fairy too. This manga has three one-shots in it, and I did indeed read the one that the volume was named for. The paneling here was a lot more clustered, which didn't make it as enjoyable to read, it didn't allow the art to breathe. and the story was a pretty standard story too. But it wasn't bad at all, it was just really average, even for Tezuka.

I also finished the OEL manga Amazing Agent Luna, which was also pretty standard. It was just sort of... generic, but not bad, just predictable in many ways. I actually enjoyed the prequel series, following Jennifer, a bit more. It was also pretty predictable, but I just think it was told better somehow. Maybe Jennifer herself was just more interesting than any of the characters in Luna?

And I finally finished Voice Over!, which isn't quite as diabetes inducing as My Love Story, but damn if it doesn't try! And there's cats, hooray! But when we came to the end, I did find myself going "this was a bit sudden, I think we needed a few more volumes here", and yeah, it seems like it was cut a bit short. But it was still fun, even if I couldn't tell the lead's friends apart, all the characters that mattered, I could. And I enjoyed the characters a lot too, always important. But it did also make me go "damn, I need to get back to reading Skip Beat now!", the whole thing also reminded me of Penguin Revolution.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Long time since I wrote here.

I am reading Uzumaki, which is a great horror manga, its very immersive but I am finding it mostly funny instead of actually scary. The way horror happens in that manga is so weird:spoiler[ a person gets super obsessed with spirals and then starts to get like a spiral and dies while transforming into a spiral by breaking his bones.] The art style is more realistic than most manga I have read which I find rather boring.

But the manga I have been reading the most in the past couple of months is: Kingdom, a super cool manga and indeed one of the best mangas of all time. Its so powerful and entertaining that's hard to compare it to anything I have consumed so far. I cried several times while reading Kingdom, it's dramatic but it doesn't fed artificial, instead it feels like reality but with some people capable of cutting through others as if they were made of cardboard. Also I found the art style excellent: elegant and not very cartoonish but at the same time highly stylized.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Long time since I wrote here.

I am reading Uzumaki, which is a great horror manga, its very immersive but I am finding it mostly funny instead of actually scary. The way horror happens in that manga is so weird:spoiler[ a person gets super obsessed with spirals and then starts to get like a spiral and dies while transforming into a spiral by breaking his bones.] The art style is more realistic than most manga I have read which I find rather boring.

Junji Ito's art style is pretty good, though a bit same-y if you read a lot of his works. He always carries that absurdist approach to horror that sometimes gets you on the edge between legitimately scary and hilarious. Uzumaki, in particular, I find to be one of the weakest manga I've ever read from start to finish because of this - it treads the line early on but keeps taking itself oh so seriously until the end. Making a narrative really isn't his strength.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I am reading a quite hilarious manga, Gatcha Gatcha Secret. Its a very funny one and I like the concept of becoming essentually another person after sneezing, though it's rather weird that nobody notices that Akira changed bodies when he is wearing the exact same clothes, clothes that obviously do not fit his "girl mode". Its full of fanservice. At the beginning I found it very entertaining but after a while the plot started to get boring and repetitive, clearly the author had not idea of what to do after a while, so I dropped it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Well I just got the most recent volumes of both Monster Musume and Dragon's Rioting because...well.....boobs. Laughing I like to have 1 or 2 campy & simply guilty pleasure manga to read. Keeps me smiling and lightens the mood. Though I will say MM has been more enjoyable than I thought with some actual sweet moments in the manga. Inbetween all the monster T&A of course. DR is simply girls with exploding clothes fighting. Though having a main male protagonist who can kick ass from the start is a nice change of pace.To keep the T&A train going I'm going to start the Freezing omnibus volumes while I wait for new releases for MM & DR.

For a more serious change of pace, and to balance out all the boobs and butt, I ordered the vol 1 omnibus of Orange. It's gotten good reviews & was recommended to me by some friends. So I decided to pick up the first omnibus volume with my last anime order. It just arrived today (along with my Yona of the Dawn and Seraph of the End anime) so I'll be starting it in the next few days.

I also plan to finally get to the Battle Angel Alita Last Order omnibus volumes a certain person sent me. Wanted to get caught up on my other manga and American comic titles before I delved into those 4 big volumes of goodness.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:44 am Reply with quote
I can't find any reference to Dragons Rising. Are you sure you don't mean Dragons Rioting? That appears to be the one with impossible anatomy.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:26 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I can't find any reference to Dragons Rising. Are you sure you don't mean Dragons Rioting? That appears to be the one with impossible anatomy.

Yea, stupid typo lol. And yes, some of them are rather impossibly large heh. I'm turning into Master Roshi from DragonBall I swear.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:41 am Reply with quote
The question is does it have any positive traits besides the configuration of the female anatomy? Dragons Rioting is a title I didn't pre-order as it seemed to be one more generic "guy in a girls school" title. My usual procedure if I see positive comments is to check it out at the local B&N. Unfortunately they are not carrying it or it has sold out and there are no other book stores in the area. Sad Mad Evil or Very Mad
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Well the premise is a bit different in that the main protagonist is not a weakling. He's arguably the strongest, or one of, character there. The "dragons" are actually a handful of ladies at this academy. Each one has a special skill set and their own group of followers. At the school they fight for supremacy. Sound s a bit like KLK I know. Now the main guy supposedly (I say that because so far only 1 quack doc as a kid said he had this disease and I think it's a hoax) has this disease where if he gets too aroused he could have a heart attack and die. So daddy dearest took him into the mountains to teach him martial arts to be able to clear his mind and remain calm and serene. So obviously you got T&A everywhere testing his limits.

I would give the series a B- so far 3 volumes in. Others probably would give less but I like my T&A. The interactions with some of the girls is very nice. Some actually have some depth to them and there's a nice backstory or two showed so far. When the manga focuses on that it's not bad. Then it goes back to the slap stick T&A comedy. The action scenes are nicely penned I think. It's not great, but it's not bad per se to me. I've got the first 3 volumes out so far but I'm on hold in terms of buying more volumes as they come out. There are plenty of series I want to continue or check out, such as Trinity Seven which I got volumes 1-3 coming as we speak, and this didn't blow me away enough to warrant getting the new volumes immediately as they come out in the future.

I could mail you volumes 1-3 to read and check out for yourself if you want. Then just mail them back when you're done.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
@Psycho 101
Quote:
I could mail you volumes 1-3 to read and check out for yourself if you want. Then just mail them back when you're done.[/b]

That sounds like a plan. Do you still have my address? No hurry, even media mail can't take too long at this distance.

Edit:
Now that I think about it, it was the "will die if he becomes aroused" bit that kept me from ordering it. I couldn't buy that any more than the "develops a rash if he touches a girl" bit. Glad to know it is likely wrong. I can remember being a teen aged male. Imaginary girls were more than sufficient to kill him. If that didn't get him he would have died in his sleep.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I am reading the tremendously emotional roller coaster called Twin Spica. It's very well made manga packing a lot of emotion in each page and features excellent minimalistic art. I liked the way it presents the idea of achieving your dreams and the challenges involved. Also I like the use of a delicate protagonist instead of a more stoic and heroic individual as usual in western narratives.

I am also getting back to Assassination Classroom. I began reading it a few months ago but stopped reading it after two dozen chapters, that's because I began to follow Kingdom instead. Since now I finished all available chapters of Kingdom I decided to go back to it. It's a well made entertainment product and the characters display a surprising degree of depth.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Edit:
Now that I think about it, it was the "will die if he becomes aroused" bit that kept me from ordering it. I couldn't buy that any more than the "develops a rash if he touches a girl" bit. Glad to know it is likely wrong. I can remember being a teen aged male. Imaginary girls were more than sufficient to kill him. If that didn't get him he would have died in his sleep.

Well to be fair I am making a big assumption on it's a load of bs. But given the virtually nonexistent back story on it and how harem comedies like to work I'm putting money down at some point the dude finds out the doc was a quack, was wrong, etc. Then he'll have to choose between the ladies or they'll all just keep fighting for him. The other route it could go is the "only you the chosen one don't make my disease act up" path. I'll still put my money on likely path #1 though lol.

I actually will need the address again. I had it still in a PM in my inbox but unfortunately it got pushed out as new PM's from irate users complaining about moderation etc pile up lol. Need to start putting important ones into my savebox.
Nipkowhill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:01 am Reply with quote
I am still read One Piece. It is many years since One Piece has been published for the first time. I have finished watch it and wait for new Chapter every week.
Why i still read One Piece? Some people have always asked me. They read new anime oder manga and does not insist on One Piece.
i don't doubt some new Manga have in some place better than One Piece. But One Piece has been a classic Manga. It has accompany my Childhood. I can not forget it. i like everything about One Piece, anime,manga,game(Pirate Legend)......It is a part of my life, my memory.
No one can take One Piece away from my life!
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:08 am Reply with quote
Nipkowhill--
Welcome to the forums; I hope that you enjoy yourself here! May I ask what language you read the manga in?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:20 am Reply with quote
@Psycho 101

The thing that always bothered me about "only you the chosen one don't make my disease act up" is what if it isn't the one he wants. Think on some of the girls you knew in the past. If it was one of them or celibacy .....?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 138 of 154