• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
@Psycho 101

If you have not already done so, you need to add Yuna and the Haunted Hotspring to your wish list. It seems to be right up your alley. A supernatural harem with generous amounts of T&A. Laughing
Sentire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
@Sentire

I enjoyed the manga version and recommend it. While having the same plot as the anime it has enough differences to make it it's own story. I think it may have an additional arc not animated but my memory of the anime is a bit fuzzy. I watched the anime streaming up till the departure for Easter Island. Now I have to dig the disk out and watch the whole show. Volume 10 takes the story through the end of the Easter Island arc. I agree that Mira is a great character and I like that she gets a substantial role and isn't just a "sidekick". I kind of freaked when she lost her head early on..

Guess I should go add that to our Wish List on RightStuf lol.

I already added it! Very Happy

Thanks for the recommendation, Alan45.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
More of those vol 1s I got!

Dr. Stone
Now this I really liked! It's a sort of post apocalyptic survival, not a genre I'm a fan of, but it's clearly established a few things that make me want more. There's someone who is basically a villain, but was also plot useful to the leads, making a double-edged sword. And there's also the question of who what and how was the entire human population turned to stone in the first place? So the mystery is keeping me going for now, but it's also not just "Bear Grylls: The Manga", which is probably why I don't tend to dig a lot of post-apocalyptic stuff, they all feel like manga for Bear Grylls to me.

High-Rise Invasion
This actually reminds me of the currently running manhwa on Webtoon, Sweet Home. Except Sweet Home is actually better. I guess I was expecting more from the guys who did Ajin, but this seems to be more of a generic thriller with some light mystery to me. I'd probably say to stick with Ajin and Sweet Home instead.

My Hero Academia: Vigilantes
I quite enjoyed this one as well! We've got three leads who seem to be a lot of fun and the main character's ability is so mildly useful that it's kind of hilarious. Also, the crazy middle aged dude who likes to punch things is awesome, and he keeps trying to force the lead into accept the call to be a Vigilante, but he's also drinking all the poor guys' beer.

My Boy
I was concerned about this, based on the plot (and the title), but it wasn't quite what I expected. But in a good way! I guess I was expecting something like Tramps Like Us but with a young boy and an office worker, but it's more like an office lady somehow befriending a child who is clearly neglected and could use a positive adult role model in his life and it's actually touching and not at all creepy. As long as you don't think too hard about how this would play out in real life.

Little Witch Academia
I've only seen the first OVA and that was ages ago, so as a newbie, I enjoyed this well enough. It's got a great art style down and it's pretty damn cute. It's the sort of thing that would drive me a bit nuts if it lasted 22 minutes an episode, but in a shorter chapter like this, it works better for me personally. Not sure how it'd be for anime fans, but on its own, it doesn't feel soul less and it moves very well from panel to panel too.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Finally caught up with Masamune-kun's Revenge and I quite like the way it ended (lol big surprise, right?

Of course I'm sure some people are gonna b*ch and whine about how "PREDICTABLE" this ending is but you know what...
spoiler[Yoshino screwed EVERYONE over in the past so letting her steal Aki's man on TOP of that, would be completely unjustified. That would really leave a bad taste in my mouth and I would feel betrayed. Yoshino fanboys are weird....like yeah, she's an interesting character and all but most likable? Best girl? No way in hell......she's just popular because of those stupid F-ups....and she's a maid Rolling Eyes]

I am mad about one thing....spoiler[NEKO!!! HOW DARE YOU NOT GO OUT WITH KOU-CHAN!!! I BETTER SEE AN EXTRA CHAPTER OR SOMETHING.]

Anyway, now that I know the ending, it's safe to spend the money on the English volumes...which I will do because I honestly enjoyed the story and artwork a lot. It's not perfect artwork (Tiv, study anatomy better xD) but it is still cute enough.
clockworkerr0r

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Recently I've been reading The Roommate Agreement. It's a romcom about a guy and a girl who end up sharing an apartment due to a miscommunication with the previous tenant. At first, they don't really get along, but eventually they warm up to each other and find out that they're actually pretty good for each other, and that they make great roommates. The series is still ongoing, but I really love it so far. It has a great balance of comedy and plot progression, and I think the main characters work really well together. I definitely recommend checking it out if you like romance series!
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Reading through Ultra Heaven right now. Amazing manga so far and I love every bit of it. The premise and themes are very relevant to our current social conflicts about drugs and drug use for the last 30+ years now.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
Just put down the second volume of Evergreen and I'll be darned if it's not one of the cutest gosh darn things I've ever read.

............then I found out it's by Toradora's author.

FIGURES. xD

Though even if you're not a Toradora fan, I'd still highly recommend this. There's no violent tsundere, there are no messy love triangles; it's just a group of friends falling in love with other friends. Who are all awkward DORKS. It's also pretty funny; particularly Seven Seas' translation choices;

"Lookit Satan with all his harpies" comments one jealous classmate upon seeing the handsome, girl-crazy archetype chatting with all the female classmates during lunch. Laughing

The male lead while a bit of an emo kid, is sympathetic, and really cute as a puppy whenever he sees his crush. His crush is a like a big lovable puppy herself (reminds me a lot of Minori from TD) They have formed a sweet bond through a connection of a similar past before they've even talked to each other and I love things like this. And the two lesser main characters are almost just as endearing.

clockworkerr0r wrote:
Recently I've been reading The Roommate Agreement. It's a romcom about a guy and a girl who end up sharing an apartment due to a miscommunication with the previous tenant. At first, they don't really get along, but eventually they warm up to each other and find out that they're actually pretty good for each other, and that they make great roommates. The series is still ongoing, but I really love it so far. It has a great balance of comedy and plot progression, and I think the main characters work really well together. I definitely recommend checking it out if you like romance series!

I'm in. xD I'm a TOTAL sucker for that crap xDDD
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:16 am Reply with quote
^

Evergreen has been on a list of manga I might be interested in for a while, exactly because the story is by Toradora's author. Seeing you like it seems somewhat promising. I'll probably read it, one day, when I'm done slogging through Akira.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:41 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi

I've read Evergreen. I'm still trying to figure where she puts all that hair when she swims. Shocked They never do explain why she is blond.

It has a different ending, I'll be interested in hearing how you like it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I'm still trying to figure where she puts all that hair when she swims. Shocked

HAMMERSPACE. :'D

She does have a ton of hair...but if you make a bathing cap REALLY tight, there's no problem with squishing it down. xD I speak out of much wig experience with cosplay.

Quote:
They never do explain why she is blond.

I gave up questioning manga/anime characters' hair colors entirely, my friend. :'D

Quote:
It has a different ending, I'll be interested in hearing how you like it.

Crap, now I'm nervous. xD

@Cam0: Thank you, Cam0, I'll take that as a compliment. Though you and I do seem to like the same stuff pretty often. :]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi

I'me used to the variegated hair colors in manga. After you see enough purple, green and pink hair you don't question it. I always assume that if it is a realistic setting that the hair represents some shade of medium to dark brown (unless the character is a delinquent, then it is actually bleached). However in this series the male main character likens his crush to the sun, which pretty much implies that it is actually blond.

Don't worry, this is not Your Lie in April. I hate stories like that.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:38 pm Reply with quote
GOOD. xD (I actually skipped YLiA because I know everything that happens so what is the point, really?)

Hmm well....Ryuuji's mother in Toradora was also blonde...but I cannot recall if the novel stated that she bleached it. Realistic settings definitely don't define realistic character color designs (especially slice-of-life ones) so I wouldn't go by that rule. It really doesn't bug me at all though; lots of manga characters have blonde hair just because "it looks purty"/"they can." I especially like the way the artist colors Niki's blonde hair for this series with pinkish tones.

Sogo the playboy also has blondish hair in the colored pages though it's not as dazzlingly blonde as Niki's.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

Captain Harlock, yeah, that bored me to tears. Like, I get trying to create a mood, but my god, can we move at SOME point here? Anyway, not for me, not interested in more.

You should read Captain Harlock: Dimensional Voyage if you didn't like the original. It's a great remake and update of the classic series. The art is also just plain gorgeous too.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
^I'm willing to give it a go! It's the style that I dislike moreso than the story, after all.

Anyway, some new things I've read:
Getter Robo Devolution
This is by the guys who do Ultraman manga and who did Linebarrels of Iron and yeah, it feels like most of their other things. If you like that sort of thing, you're invited!

Dreams of the Days
An interesting take on yaoi stuff, I quite enjoyed it and could see myself re-reading it

Dead Dead Demon's Dedede Destruction
I'm not a big fan of Inio Asano, I find him too hipster for my tastes, but I was still curious enough. I'm currently neutral on DDD, it's not as super hipster as his other stuff, but I'm also not really invested entirely yet. I'd like some more world building first! But it does bother me that the main girls are supposed to be in high school! They look like damn elementary schoolers! It makes it a bit hard for me to get into.

Tokyo Tarareba Girls
I've enjoyed Princess Jellyfish (still need to read the last couple volumes) and I'm enjoying this so far too! I'll take some more when I can!

Teasing Master Takagi-San
It's kind of like somewhere in the neighborhood of My Neighbor Seki. It's really not the genre for me, but if you like the genre, I think you'll enjoy this one more than I did.

Radiant
This is the French manga! I believe Ankama put it out in France. And it's getting an anime, even more unusual! I definitely would like some more world building going on, but it's off to a great start and the art is pretty damn amazing!

Mech Cadet Yu
This is where I talk about an American comic that just feels so damn much like it could be manga that it's hard to think it's not. It feels like a mix of Iron Giant and the classic trope "dropped into the cockpit" with a bit of Gunbuster's school for training mecha pilots or something. If you like mecha and some of the things or tropes I mentioned, definitely give this one a read!

Fruits Basket: Another
Yeah, I know it had a reputation, but I had to know! And WOW, does this feel like some sort of self-insert self-fulfillment fantasy! The main character is obnoxious and there's really nothing likable about her. In this case, I would call her brand of annoying "please, do SOMETHING interesting! Have SOME basic sort of personality!" I mean, even the token fat kid in 80s/90s sports flicks whose entire personality is "he likes Twinkies and eating Twinkies" has more of a personality than this girl does! The entire purpose of this mess seems to be "Look! That character looks like a near clone of their parents, so you can tell that's Hatsuharu's kid! He even has no sense of direction!" Honestly, I would've just been happier with a random artbook showing off their future progeny. Do you want to pretend this is at all about bland girl or do you just want to do a damn Sohma offspring role call? Just reread the original series, seriously! And she stopped making Liselotte for this?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:11 am Reply with quote
@classicalzawa

Concerning Fruits Basket Another, I agree that the girl with no personality, and no presence is somewhat irritating. What bothers me is that this type is seen frequently enough in manga and anime as to be almost a stock character. I would hate to think that such a degree of social impairment is actually found in real Japanese school children.

Otherwise, I'm interested in seeing where this might go without the supernatural factor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 148 of 154