• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I so binged Golden Kamuy in 2 days. It's officially one of my favorite series now. I love pretty much everything about it. It's the first manga in some time that made me want to get caught up as fast as possible. I can't wait to see where it goes!
moony_chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:21 am Reply with quote
I am reading One Piece. I started to read it a year or two ago and was impressed - the plot was interesting and the characters were so realistic!
Unfortunately, I had problems with my studying and forget about that manga.
Now I am free enough to enjoy it again.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Yuri Is My Job was a lot of fun, if currently light on actual yuri. That’s not terrible though, it has interesting characters and a fun premise - a maid cafe patterned after an all-girls school where the students are servers and yuri tropes abound. Really looking forward to further volumes.
kellyon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:57 am Reply with quote
OathBringer by brandon sanderson,
East of West volume one, a comic by hickman, which is fantastic.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:13 am Reply with quote
Trap Heroine by Tomiki sensei. It is a very cute and funny series. Chapter 22 came out yesterday but I just read it today.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Some stuff I've read lately:

Nyankees 1
So, being a cat person, I clearly needed to pick this up. It's cute and all, but I feel like there are far too few moments of pure kitty for me. I really wish it'd switch between them looking like tough gangsters into being cats more often, I feel like it'd be more entertaining that way. I do like how super serious it is for absolutely no reason and I think it knows and embraces this.

The Witch's House: Diary of Ellen 1
I just feel like this one was so forgettable. It had the potential to be a fun thriller, but I feel like it takes way too long to reach its point or to attempt to actually be unsettling at the end of it all. Also, it's only two volumes, so now I KNOW it's not going anywhere. Pretty safe to pass this one.

Dr Stone 4
It's still awesome. And it's still more or less ditched the boy and girl from the start for the new arc, which is fine, they weren't super duper interesting to begin with.

Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty 1-6 (complete)
This was a nice romantic drama, with a hint of supernatural to it, which I always appreciate. I do rather wish the boy hadn't fallen for the girl instantly when the plot is basically that it takes her the whole series to actually develop her own personality, but it was a solid title.

Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts 1-4
So, with Water Dragon's Bride almost at an end and Yona of the Dawn still being awesome, I didn't think there'd be yet another contender for "epic shojo fantasy", and yet, here we are! Sacrificial Princess really is top tier stuff with fantastic world building and a thoroughly enjoyable heroine. And while it's clearly playing on the "beast is scary" thing, he's never once been that way to Sariphi, which always lends credibility to the burgeoning romance for me (From Far Away was similar in that way). If you need more fantasy shojo fix, pick this up ASAP and I can only hope that it will be remembered well from this current era of shojo fantasy, it's top notch stuff.

Kagerou Daze manga 1-3
So, stupid story, I seriously picked up vol 3 first. And read the whole thing. Because it kind of started its own thing a bit this volume, it's weird. So far, I'm not completely sold, but I am interested enough. I'd probably want to find more vols for super cheap on the second-hand market though.

Space Boy (webcomic)
So, I do tend to cover some US stuff if I think manga fans would dig it, and this definitely qualifies. Also, Dark Horse is putting it out in print, but it's also completely free on Webtoons (which absolutely saved my hungry glut when Dark Horse, once again failing basic QA checks, had an entire segment of my vol 1 with the pages all the way the hell out of order). But after finishing vol 2, and seeing how it was 32 chapters into a current 191 chapters, I went "to the internet!" and have been devouring it ever since. I'm not quite up to date, but if you want a good high school drama with a solid scifi twist and well written believable characters who aren't just one dimensional, by all means check this one out (and for free!) By my math, there's almost 12 volumes of material to date, so that's pretty sweet for the future of the print editions. And it updates most weeks, from what I see. It really makes me wish more webtoons got print editions, because I probably would've never found this otherwise, to be honest.

Witch Boy (US comic)
More US comics! I do now plan to pick up the sequel to this one because this first one was pretty good stuff. I feel like it also addresses some gender identity stuff, but not in an "oh god, here we go AGAIN" sort of way. I'm looking forward to vol 2 and the final vol later this year.

Demon (US comic)
Boy, that was weird. That.... mostly sums it up, though not entirely, but while the art work is very simplistic and cartoony, the subject matter is not. It knows its a dark comedy with way too much fun for the math nerds thrown in, but it's just such a fun ride. Give this one a try if you see it, I rented it from the library out of extreme curisoity and now I have to have my own set!
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:01 am Reply with quote
I've read a couple manga in the past few months. First was Psyren which was ok, I think? Its pacing got a bit too fast near the end with lots of sudden twists and revelations. But most of the story was interesting enough to keep me reading.

Next was Kamisama Dolls which was good. It was a story with a lot of fighting, but it was a bit unusual in how the main character couldn't really fight himself. I felt like it ended on a whimper and its ending had a slight sudden twist that felt like it kinda came outta nowhere. But otherwise it was an enjoyable story.

Then was All You Need Is Kill which was really good. I like time loops and time traveling as a plot device. The art was really good, the artist was really good at drawing intense stares, and the story was fast paced in a good way.

Now I'm reading Knights of Sidonia. I've read 2 volumes and I like it so far. The premise immediately looked interesting to me and so far it's living up to those expectations of people trying to desperately survive while being hunted by nasty looking powerful aliens. The world building has been interesting. I like the whole human evolution stuff in the story so I'm interesting in learning more about the world. Volume 2 ended on a surprising twist that I wasn't expecting at all so I'm interested in reading more.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Tales of Wedding Rings-I had kind of been eager to check this out, since I like Maybe's other series, To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts (which is like, steampunk era adventure with kaiju? Kind of?) but yeah, I didn't quite make it through the first volume... The first chapter was ok, guy has crush on childhood friend, she suddenly declares she has to move, turns out she's from another world and he follows her there cus he loves her and ends up, get this, trapped in another world. And then I became suspicious. And then he kind of suddenly marries her (via a kiss), a wedding ring is transferred to his finger, and he can then use light magic to attack and kill things. Getting more suspicious. Getting a bit antsy after yet ANOTHER demon or something shows up, I then kind of flip forward and find out that in order to become the true hero, he has to marry 4 other girls and get their wedding rings too. So, he basically has to make a harem in an isekai. Omfg, nope, done, not doing this, nope.
I have nothing inherently against isekai, they can be fun, but when you're just doing a straight up nerdy male power fantasy? That's just so boring to me. I'll pass.

I Want To Eat Your Pancrea (manga)-Of course I'd been hearing good things about this, everyone has. And page 1 literally tells us the girl's gonna die (if that wasn't being screamed from every pore of this thing already). I like the chemistry of the two leads though and enjoyed them a lot. If you maybe want some of the same chemistry, but without any heart-tugging, definitely give Horimiya a chance as well.
I do have one issue with the ending though, spoiler[like, I understood that the girl was gonna die, and I'm cool with her not actually dying of the disease, but being suddenly murdered? Really? And the timeline around that confused me, I'm assuming he wasn't waiting at the cafe at midnight, so why could she not have still shown up then? Also, couldn't she be like, hit by a car or something and die from that instead? Any reason we had to bring a serial killer into this that's not even resolved?]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:38 am Reply with quote
@zawa-113

While I suppose Tales of Wedding Rings is technically a harem, it is mostly an exercise in male virginal stupidity and blue balls. By the end of the fourth volume he is married to spoiler[his childhood friend who is willing, a timid elf girl, a busty, horny cat girl, and a scheming dragon girl] and he still hasn't gotten any. Mad Mad By the fifth volume spoiler[they are all living in Japan in his and the childhood friend's apartments and the bad guys have apparently won in the alternate world.] I'm finding it equal parts irritating and funny but it probably isn't your cup of tea.

Why would you mention Horimiya an excellent slice of life manga in the same paragraph as I want to eat your Pancreas a typical abhorrent dead girlfriend series?
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:29 pm Reply with quote
@Alan
Eh, cus Horimiya is better? They do both have the "loner guy and outgoing/popular girl" thing going on though. Of course, I also am being a bit easier on Pancreas cus it admits the girl dies right away, none of that silly teasing us that she might not die nonsense. And yeah, it tries to be philosophical and stuff, but I also think it enjoys letting the two leads hang out, so it didn't come off as too annoying on that trope to me. But yeah, it is designer to force your heartstrings, which some may not like (and I totally understand)

Hmm, I could see Tales of Wedding Rings being enjoyable to some by sheer silliness, but I think I'm good. But spoiler[letting the bad guys win in the alt world]? That's kind of funny, actually.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:25 pm Reply with quote
@zawa113

Well, the story isn't over yet. (according to a note from the author it is just starting) However, when last seen spoiler[the big bad were kicking butt. At the end of the fifth volume, the hero has just accepted a ring from the fifth and final "girl" and he and his frustrated harem are headed back to the alt world to their thing.]

I put girl in quotes becausespoiler[ the fifth ring bearer was supposed to be found in the kingdom of the dwarfs (cue jokes about short bearded women) who have been missing from the alt world since the last fight with the big bad a millennium ago. While they are searching for this girl in a whole mountain range is when he and harem are transported back to this world. Just as well because she is an android created by the dwarf kingdom and, if I read it correctly, has been hanging out in a shrine in his neighborhood on this world ever since]. It doesn't make a lot of sense but is fun.

Addendum:

I refuse to read or watch dead girl/lover manga or anime so I can't comment on the quality of Pancreas. I do feel that Horimiya is one of the best high school slice of life manga I've read (I'm up to date with the US release). I do agree that there is an element of the unpopular boy/popular girl trope involved but it doesn't last that long. There is a lot more of an emphasis on the difference between private and public faces, something I understand is a big thing for the Japanese. Both main characters are very different when out of school. It is also something of an ensemble story with the relationships of many of the supporting characters explored to some extent. It also gets into her family which is one of the odder ones out there.
himala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:16 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@zawa-113

While I suppose Tales of Wedding Rings is technically a harem, it is mostly an exercise in male virginal stupidity and blue balls. By the end of the fourth volume he is married to spoiler[his childhood friend who is willing, a timid elf girl, a busty, horny cat girl, and a scheming dragon girl] and he still hasn't gotten any. Mad Mad By the fifth volume spoiler[they are all living in Japan in his and the childhood friend's apartments and the bad guys have apparently won in the alternate world.] I'm finding it equal parts irritating and funny but it probably isn't your cup of tea.

Why would you mention Horimiya an excellent slice of life manga in the same paragraph as I want to eat your Pancreas a typical abhorrent dead girlfriend series?

Several others people also recommends Tales of Wedding Rings to me lately. I guess I'll check this out, though I won't expect anything from it
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Stumbled upon a series called Harem Days: The Seven Starred Country. It's released by Bookwalker so it's digital only. It's a shame because I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this series. It hasn't been completely translated yet, but the series is complete at 14 volumes.
The closet thing I can compare to is The Story of Saiunkoku. In case anyone is interested, here's a summary for Harem Days:

Hisui makes a living performing in acrobatic shows (while crossdressing) with a traveling circus. She gets invited by the Emperor to perform for his harem, but ends up getting sucked into court intrigue instead. What makes things even more confusing is that the Emperor reminds her of her lost brother.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Had a bit of time to read last night so I read:

Go for it Nakamura - This was silly and fun. The art was very 90's but that's not a bad thing.
Behind the Scenes 6 - It's OK but not nearly as good as Ouran
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:52 am Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
Stumbled upon a series called Harem Days: The Seven Starred Country. It's released by Bookwalker so it's digital only. It's a shame because I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this series. It hasn't been completely translated yet, but the series is complete at 14 volumes.
The closet thing I can compare to is The Story of Saiunkoku.

Yes! I'm so glad someone else is reading this, and I whole-heartedly agree that it's very much got a Saiunkoku feel to it. I admit to some concern that they won't finish the translation, as happened with Love Me, My Knight, but the recent release of volume four assuaged my fear somewhat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 150 of 154