• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, August 26-September 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
Wouldn't it make more sense to be baffled why Americans only love action shows for kids so much? Laughing The way you worded it makes it sound like America's taste supersede Japan's when it's more like the opposite logically Any time a humongous non-action series comes out here it fails or goes by unnoticed. Gintama, Shinchan, Conan, Keroro.. dead on arrival in America though I'm sure over-localization didn't help their cause... Plenty more big in Japan shows have never even seen the light of day here Me thinks it's more of a problem of the lack of variety in American anime fan tastes when only action shounen stuff like Naruto and Titan can do well. They need a bit more variety in their diet Wink Bake and Free would be a good start for more casual American audiences to embrace

No I'm saying Attack on Titan has managed to achieve worldwide popularity, something that Free and Bakemonogatari would never be likely too cause they just don't have that I guess "it" factor that Titan does. Like I can absolutely guarantee you the casual American audience that only really follows the licensing companies like Funimation or what is on TV is not going to be remotely interested in those shows similar to how Japan barely shows an interest in something like Call of Duty which is a smash hit almost everywhere else in the Western world.

I'll never get over how much absolute confidence the fans of shows like Free and Bakemonogatari have in the material though. Like they really seem to on average think that SoL type stuff is just a cut above anything with any sort of action or Shonen tendencies and that if your average "mature" person just watched them they'd instantly fall in love the same way they have. I almost never see this sort of thing from fans of any other genre or from beyond the shows of the two production companies that made those shows.

@walw6pK4Alo: Advertising, ratings, Merch, conventions etc. There's more than one way to make money off of something than disc sales, something people in online communities really need to relearn and fast instead of continuing to put more emphasis and more importance bordering on the level of watching sports teams duke it out on them.

Anyway I continue to expect most people to completely misunderstand the very straightforward points I'm making and take it as some sort of challenge when really it's simply an observations cause well...fanboys basically.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
jet_ wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
Blazaking wrote:
Kinda sad that AoT isn't doing that great.

Did you read the wrong chart? AoT's overall sales for this volume are well over 30K, how much more would be "that great" for you? Shocked

Maybe he expected it to sell like Bake.

Japan posted the image of the top selling series' first vol bluray/dvd of all time couple year's back. it will take Aot to sell 50K+ to beat Bakemonogatari's first vol.

http://dalian.7thstyle.com/2012/02/top-selling-anime-blu-ray-all-time-001.jpg

Remember this is only the first vol of the series of the entire bluray's life cycle.(not just first week sales.)

AoT's first volume is at 71,6k, so it only needs to sell 11k~ more to make it.

It won't happen though.
Mugley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Jave wrote:
Wouldn't it make more sense to be baffled why Americans only love action shows for kids so much? Laughing The way you worded it makes it sound like America's taste supersede Japan's when it's more like the opposite logically Any time a humongous non-action series comes out here it fails or goes by unnoticed. Gintama, Shinchan, Conan, Keroro.. dead on arrival in America though I'm sure over-localization didn't help their cause... Plenty more big in Japan shows have never even seen the light of day here Me thinks it's more of a problem of the lack of variety in American anime fan tastes when only action shounen stuff like Naruto and Titan can do well. They need a bit more variety in their diet Wink Bake and Free would be a good start for more casual American audiences to embrace

No I'm saying Attack on Titan has managed to achieve worldwide popularity, something that Free and Bakemonogatari would never be likely too cause they just don't have that I guess "it" factor that Titan does. Like I can absolutely guarantee you the casual American audience that only really follows the licensing companies like Funimation or what is on TV is not going to be remotely interested in those shows similar to how Japan barely shows an interest in something like Call of Duty which is a smash hit almost everywhere else in the Western world.

I'll never get over how much absolute confidence the fans of shows like Free and Bakemonogatari have in the material though. Like they really seem to on average think that SoL type stuff is just a cut above anything with any sort of action or Shonen tendencies and that if your average "mature" person just watched them they'd instantly fall in love the same way they have. I almost never see this sort of thing from fans of any other genre or from beyond the shows of the two production companies that made those shows.

To me it looks like it kinda depends depends where you look. I've seen kinda a lot of people appreciate Bakemonogatari and Free.. maybe not at your typical Kansas City anime convention but there's different types of anime fans. If you're only looking at the people who only watches stuff on TV or dubs and only talking about the most casual anime fan then maybe not, but on the internet they're pretty huge. America's kinda not a good environment for certain shows. Japan gets all those doujin events that America never does so it's hard to show your appreciation for certain series like fujoshi targetted shows. Sad Fujoshi are sadly underrepresented in America since a lot of shows they watch don't get released here and they have no real outlets to express themselves like in Japan. Otaku have a bit more leeway but you still don't see the events they get in Japan here either. I guess the only real outlet here is what gets shown on TV and it's usually poorly dubbed kids show plus whatever random stuff they air on adult swim.. adult swim is pretty much the only exposure casual fans get to anime.. that's prolly why they liked Deadman Wonderland so much while everyone else didn't care for it but once it aired on TV you saw more fans of it pop up.. they take what they can get when they only see a couple shows a year
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3