• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Butt Attack Punisher Girl Gautaman

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlefishgirl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

Of course this could just be the way I see it, but anyone who honestly is trying to say that Pile of Shame has been mostly crappy titles is either lying to themselves or blatantly ignoring the stuff Justin has praised in the column. At the very least, the "Good/Bad" ratio is about even, with "Good" winning out just barely. Plus, there are the downright "WTF" titles that are hard to point down as either Justin giving them passes or are putting down.

I guess I just remember the titles Justin deemed"bad" better than the "good". I was basing "crappy" on what I remembered reading.

I don't think I've actually seen any of the titles and therefore would not presume to opinionate on their worth myself. Even the ones that have been deemed "bad" probably have fans out there; I imagine the ones deemed "good" also have their haters.

What is reviewed doesn't particularly mater to me--it is entertaining about the shows. I just find myself mildly perplexed by the title "Pile of Shame" and more so the header photo of a pile of physical media...it doesn't mesh with the titles being either hard to find or internet only....
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
littlefishgirl wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

Of course this could just be the way I see it, but anyone who honestly is trying to say that Pile of Shame has been mostly crappy titles is either lying to themselves or blatantly ignoring the stuff Justin has praised in the column. At the very least, the "Good/Bad" ratio is about even, with "Good" winning out just barely. Plus, there are the downright "WTF" titles that are hard to point down as either Justin giving them passes or are putting down.

I guess I just remember the titles Justin deemed"bad" better than the "good". I was basing "crappy" on what I remembered reading.

Honestly, I think that's just normal behavior when it comes to a column like this: The crappy stuff tends to be more memorable when you're first hearing about it. Admittedly, Musashi no Ken sounds really cool & definitely worth watching, but at the same time Kenya Boy sounds like an insane ride of a watch. Which will most people think of first when they think of this column: A really good anime TV series about a boy who takes up kendo or a movie that sounds absolutely 100% batshit insane? Even I'll admit that the latter sounds more interesting from a entertainment standpoint.

I don't think of that as a bad thing... But I think it's worth looking back at what Justin's covered before stating that crap is the focus of the column. It might result in the more memorable articles, but there's just as much really good stuff that Justin has brought to light.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2