• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gedo Senki Trailer [2006-04-13]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Infernal Dragoon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the movie Gedo Senki, made by Goro Miyazaki? Just checking, I can't read Japanese, but I thought "Gedo" came from the name of the character "Ged".
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:57 pm Reply with quote
You are correct. It appears the two names kind of merged into one when that article was written.

We apologise for the mistake.

-t
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote
It's about time! Geesh! Do you know how long it took to get info. on this darn film? Confused

Finally, a trailer.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:17 pm Reply with quote
It looks beautiful, even if it took a few too many visual cues from his father's work. I mean, yes, traditional Ghibli character designs are gorgeous and all, but the main male character looks like a younger Ashitaka, and that deer horse thing looks almost exactly like Yakkuru. Maybe he meant it as an homage, but it's a little too dominant for that.

Other than that, I'm really looking forward to this. It looks much more emotionally meaty than either Spirited Away or Howl's, both of which were disappointments for me.

BTW, is anyone else having trouble playing this movie smoothly? I've tried it on 3 computers now, all of them reasonably fast, and with varying levels of broadband access. Maybe they're just overloaded?
toru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
toru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
February 26, 2006 "Tales from Earthsea" Trailer Translation
http://nausicaa.net/miyazaki/newspro/latestnews_headlines-archive-2-2006.html
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:23 am Reply with quote
It skips like crazy for me, as if it is always rebuffering or something. It's extremely distracting.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:27 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
wow, does he have daddy issues or something? he sure does speak very ill of him.

Miyazaki senior didn't want Goro to become involved in animation. Ever since it was announced that he'd be directing the movie the two have been publicly talking about each other in less than flattering ways.

I don't know if their "issues" with each other stem back before this.

Goro used to be the general manager of the Ghibli Museum.

-t
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:39 am Reply with quote
Well, Goro Miyazaki does have to establish himself as not another Miyazaki clone. I pity the poor guy for having a blog that long just to explain to everyone the process of making that film.

I really thought that it was embarassing for Miyazaki to publicly not approve of Goro as director of this film. I'd be alittle ticked off at him too for that if I was Goro.

They should just give the guy some space and let him complete the project.
RezSav

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I don't know if their "issues" with each other stem back before this.

It could, in the 52 page blog entry he talks about how his animation resembles that of his fathers.
Goro Miyazaki wrote:
I wrote before how, from the time I was small, in order to find out what the father I almost never saw was like, and what he was thinking of, I watched his films intently.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
If it's exactly the same trailer as posted elsewhere in February, only without the morning television time and temperature graphics superimposed over the picture, I think the film looks decent, but there's not a single damn shot with any real "wow" value for me. It's mostly just a lot of characters I don't know walking, riding, and handing stuff to each other.

I also hope that the movie itself isn't quite as "derivative" of his father's work as the character designs are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RezSav

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Prepare to be surprised. No but seriously, read his blog links, I don't think you'll find this movie any good.
toru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Nobody talks about producer Toshio Suzuki. He nominated Goro for the director. However, Goro receives the criticism alone.
Volyund

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Look at the Miyazaki Hayao's list of works that he has worked on... It starts from inbetween animation (the bottom of the animation food chain) and goes through all the steps before getting to a producer/director. Goro on the other hand has NO EXPERIENCE what so ever in animation. If this movie turns out good, that would be due to how good Ghibli's staff are, rather than Goro. Because unlike Hayao who controlled every step of the production, and if he didn't like something just redid it by himself, Goro doesn't have that kind of control over the film, and so the staff like animation director will pay a more important role in this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2