• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2006 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zilveari

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Im mixed on the review. I agree on Haruhi... 3 episodes and a few chapters from the novel and I have become a Haruhi-ist.

Same with Nana, and added to the review... the op theme fricken ROCKS! Obsessed with it(coincidentally it started playing while I was typing this paragraph...)

Im not even close to giving up on Roots yet. I do miss Yuki, but from what I have seen, I think this is an attempt to reach out to those who were alienated by what they saw as a "horribly slow, boring series". And of course pull in more fans from the insanely huge, and growing, MMORPG fanbase. I think I will still get my fix of errie drama, fun twists, and enigmatic dialogue/actions. But with a bit more action than sign(i'm not going into legend of twilight's braclet... *shudder*)

I was keen on Air Gear until I heard the same stuff from everyone else.. I think i'll leave that in my "boredom, time to waste time" folder.

Soul Link... yes it's generic, rehashed, and a bit drab. But I love having a bland action/scifi flick in my boredom pile, makes long boring days off of work a bit more fun to marathon something. There are, and have been much worse things put out...

Kiba is well, the jury is still out. I thought at the beginning, and still think the show has incredible potential, but they really need to work around some of the downfalls. Zedd has a definate Athrun/Shinn type thing going on... the angst gets really old. With any luck as he learns about himself he'll shedd that BS and become the overly optimistic, confident, kickass character(who sometimes gets his ass kicked) that I love to see from time to time. I'm gonna give this show till ep 5-10 to overcome itself. P.S. Nami... ugh I don't think this song came out as well as it could have(once again, coincidentally the Kiba opening came on just now lol).

Girl's High - UGH, now I hear Yozuka*. The themes come on as im typing about the series lol... anyways. My first impression of this show(from the website's main picture) was Kare Kano. For some reason the character designs in the picture gave me that impression. I enjoy the op/ed themes, and want to enjoy the series. But everyone is right, ENOUGH with the ****ing panty shots. Once or twice is humorous... but oh em GEE this is too much(though I thought it was hilarious when she fell down the stairs and well... you know what happened. That may have been the ONLY decent panty shot usage in the hole episode). Like I said I want to enjoy it, but they need to focus more on the comedy, and get rid of the panty shots! Oh and onemore thing... I am afraid of the second episode. There will be so much fanservice... I hope to god it is done well. If it is overdone im going to most likely chuck it in the recycle bin.

Ouran I am watching right now(or about to), one of the first shows i picked up. At first I thought it would be a cute shounen-ai flick haha. But im looking forward to it after reading some synposis.

XXXHOLIC-I love CLAMP, enjoyed the movie and what I've seen from the manga. Im going to give this the same treatment as Tsubasa, watch it to watch it and save judgement until A) it ends B) I can no longer stand it.

Disgaea : Im a hardcore fan of the game, ill watch this through to the end,m and enjoy the snappy comedy =)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do a second chapter for spring 2006.

Utawarerumo: Thus far this show is in my top 3, with Haruhi and Nana. I just keep thinking Mononoke Hime for some reason. The character designs have their quirks, but are very enjoyable to me. I haven't rewatched it to scrutinize the animation yet(i watch anime the first time to just see it), but it didn't seem bad at all. I enjoyed the music as well. The op/ed themes match INCREDIBLY well with the series setting IMHO as well. I do worry about the plot though. Judging from the op credits it seems like there will be MANY MANY main/supporting characters, and much to do on the part of the staff. Can they fit ALL of that stuff into 26 episodes without rushing? And conversely could it all be simple, intertwined and quick? If so how will they fill 26 episodes. I think this is a show that definately deserves aat least 6 eps before telling people to "f off", or to "ZOMFG BUY IT NOWZ!" The potential is there, and it has an immense amount. P.S. Aruru and Eruru are SO INSANELY CUTE, I wanna grab some tails...

Happy Seven-Someone tell me something about this. I want to watch it so badly... but if it doesn't use intelligent, quick wit to satirize the genre is so obviously rehashes, then i cant bring myself to look.

Black Lagoon - All I can say is... w00t! High anticipation on this one, but unfortunately that also leads to very high expectations. I was content with the first episode though. Now lemme go rock out to the opening some more =O

Strawberry Panic - <3 thats all I can say because I have no clue where its going, where it came from, or what its doing here with that AWESOME op theme. I definately want to see where this one is going with the amazing character designs, pretty animation, and eerie white-haired "lesbian" chick...

I'm really enjoying the themese this season btw.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote
It's "Suzumiya Haruhi" everywhere. Ironically, before I added to the Encyclopedia on March 25, it was not even on the queue list. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
outlaw54

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:04 am Reply with quote
In response to the Soul Link review, I will agree with you with regards to the first two episodes, and at first I was tempted to write it off; however, a friend encouraged me to watch episode 3 and wow! what a dramatic change. After 3 the series jumped from a so-so to an excellent. Also, Air Gear did turn out to be a disappointment Sad
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote
Personally, I'm surprised XXXHolic got as much praise for its visuals as it did. May just be me, but the ridiculousness of the characters' proportions is way too distracting and gets in the way of me enjoying the show far too much. I'm reading the manga right now, and though the style does lend towards thin and lanky characters, it's at least consistent and pulled off in a nicely stylized and visually attractive way. In the anime, Watanuki changes height with each camera cut (seven feet tall, nine feet tall, 6 and a half feet tall, eight feet tall), everyone has these disgusting giraffe necks and shrunken heads and stick-insect limbs that get progressively longer the more they wave them around, and Yuuko's ridiculous Kong hands look like they could crush someone's TORSO with just a halfhearted graze.

I dunno...for me, the anime's attempt at emulating the manga's character designs was a horrendous failure, and one that detracts far too much from the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote
While I liked the first episode of xxxHolic, the changes made in the second episode were just inexcusable. Way to kill a series right off the bat.

As for Haruhi... what a strange show. The third episode seems to suggest that it's going to actually be quite a dark satire.
hooliganj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote
I don't post in this forum very often, but when I do, it always seems to be to voice a disagreement with Zac. So for once, to be fair, I want to say that in my opinion he was spot on with all 10 reviews. Nana, Suzumiya Haruhi and Ouran Host Club are the stand outs of the season so far. Sure there are plenty of shows that didn't make the list, but he got the best.

One minor correction, though: the protaganist of Ouran Host Club isn't "middle-class". spoiler[Haruhi's single father supports the both of them working as a bar host/hostess. Their tiny apartment and Haruhi's obssession with discount shopping qualifies them as] living in poverty - naturally exagerating the class difference that makes up a great deal of the comedy in the show.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quote
Having done some work in bringing High School Girls to the leeching masses, I can say that it's definitely NOT "the next Azumanga Daioh" --sure, there's an assortment of cute high school girls with the standard anime girl personalities, but it's just a tad bit...odd. You won't get that warm kawaii feeling that you got from AD. HSG will shock the guys who are just looking for their next fanservice fix, and certainly portrays girls much differently than most anime. I haven't watched episode 2 yet, but it should be interesting.

But thanks for the heads-up on Soul Link: I was going to watch it because of one of the fansub groups doing it, but I think I'll drop it in favor of Nana. And the Anime Forum thread has already convinced me to watch SH...
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:46 am Reply with quote
I'll just go head and heap on more praise for Haruhi, which has kept me in stitches for three episodes running so far. Good fun all around. Kyoto Animation is handling work on this show, and they also did a pheNOMinal job on Air. They put out some beautiful and clean art and animation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
BluWacky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:38 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

Really? That would be an unexpected yet welcome surprise. I was honestly happy with the one and just naturally assumed that would be all there is.

Given that this preview only covers about 10 of the 50 or so new shows this season (and that's not even including sequels like Aria The Natural or School Rumble 2nd Season) there's a lot more stuff out there for Zac to slag off if necessary :D
Lyrai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:35 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with most of the preview, but one thing was left out of the Air Gear preview, in my opinoin: The music.

I actually found myself more attracted to the music than the series itself. Any specific reason the music didn't get mentioned in the preview?
JackBassV

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:33 am Reply with quote
High School Girls the Manga is much better than the anime, though Ep2 is an improvement over Ep1.

I'm a big Ai Yazawa fan, so I loved ParaKiss, and I expect to enjoy Nana, as much as Gokinjou Monogatari - which I've finally found.

I also loved the preview for Haruhi, so I'm on the lookout for that too.

If you like horror, then try Tokko. Based on the Manga of the same name, this is an excellent version, with little in the way of changes over the manga (only seen Ep1).

JBV^_^

Last edited by JackBassV on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:43 am Reply with quote
I have to disagree about Kiba. The first episode is fairly slow, but I think the world it was in was at least interesting. The second episode was well paced enough to keep me in the series, and very few anime can be accurately judged using less than two episodes (most first episodes suck compared to the rest of the series). This is espeically tue in this case, as it starts at the begining, as opposed to, say, FMA which starts with episode 10 or so, chronologically speaking, then jumps back to the begining.

Yes, it's a Shonen show, and if you don't like Shonen shows, you probably won't like it, but if you DO like Shonen shows, maybe you will. I don't know if it'll be a GREAT series, but I think it looks like it'll be pretty good once it really gets moving.
Kamon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:18 am Reply with quote
Suzumiya is the best anime of this season, IMO, and one of the better anime I've seen in a while. Definitely hoping this one gets licensed so I can buy it on DVD.

Regarding Air Gear...after giving up on TenTen about halfway through, and seeing just the first episode of this, I kind of feel like Oh! Great anime adaptations are cursed to be mediocre at best, unwatchable at worst. Kind of sad. But oh well, it's not like animation could ever capture his awesome artwork. Especially not cheap TV animation.

I'm also pretty disappointed with the relatively low quality of the Disgaea anime so far. I've been looking forward to this one. Sad

Last edited by Kamon on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote
Wow.

None of those sound interesting whatsoever.

There's always next season for interesting premises, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
seryass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:52 am Reply with quote
Zilveari wrote:
Happy Seven-Someone tell me something about this. I want to watch it so badly... but if it doesn't use intelligent, quick wit to satirize the genre is so obviously rehashes, then i can't bring myself to look.

Strawberry Panic - <3 thats all I can say because I have no clue where its going, where it came from, or what its doing here with that AWESOME op theme. I definately want to see where this one is going with the amazing character designs, pretty animation, and eerie white-haired "lesbian" chick...

I'm really enjoying the themese this season btw.

Yay. Happy Seven. I really liked this show. Unfortunately though it will not appear in the Spring Preview as its about one year old now and finished last December. Basically a group of High School kids transform into the Seven Fortune Gods to protect our world from the villains (which includes the schools class president). The thing I liked about this show was how the main character, Amano wasn’t so main. Since she was not one of the Seven Gods she basically stayed in the background with the other two girls who had a little laptop working out the enemy’s weaknesses. I also liked how some of the characters changed personalities when they transformed.

I also liked Strawberry Panic too and was upset it was not in the guide.

Keep up the good work Zac. I can watch Soul Link but I was a bit disappointed at the anime for being a bit boring (especially compared to Navels other game turned anime, Shuffle which I really liked). I do agree with you about Nana, Ouran and Haruhi being the best of the bunch. Haruhi is easily my favorite of the lot though. The first epsiode about them making a film was hilarious.

Please, please, please can you do a second preview guide as I would be interested to see what you think of other new shows such as: Strawberry Panic, Utawarerumono, Simoun, Inukami and Zegapain and even then there are still quite a few more.

Last edited by seryass on Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8