• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sonic X Scores Card Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Examinee 623

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:52 am Reply with quote
Being someone who spent scads of money on TCGs back in my high school years, I think they are ultimately a waste of money and serve largely as a way for people to distance themselves from normal human beings with active social lives.

That having been said, I sure do love Sonic the Hedgehog.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
110 is not a lot but I would like to get a look at these cards before I even think of touching them.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Mm...is it just me, or are anime series releasing too many card games? I mean, I think TCGs are a great hobby (although I haven't been into them for a while), but...there's even a FRUITS BASKET card game. It's getting a little rediculous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ChangSauce

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I would be amazed if any of the kids playing these card games found someone else to play against them.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
As a former collector of the many trading card games (including several of the anime based ones), I can really say that there aren't many people out there to play against. Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon and Magic the Gathering are about the only card games people play nowadays. Not that there's anything wrong with those games per se, but it'd be nice if there were someone still out there that played the old Decipher Star Wars game or any of the other anime TCG's. Yu Yu Hakusho and Knights of the Zodiac were really cool games and I seldom, if ever, got the chance to play them. That's part of the reason (besides the fact that I throw myself into everything I do wholeheartedly, and that includes my hobbies) that I stopped playing them. I started spending too much money on them and then there wasn't anyone to play against. All that said, a Sonic X card game sounds neat. If I were still into the card games, I'd probably pick that up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
matthewlow

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:12 pm Reply with quote

You guys are missing the point.

The SonicX TCG came out last September or October if I'm correct. I wrote the preview article for January 06's Scrye, which came out in November, so it was released before that. I could find the actual date but the website seems to be down.

As a side note, the game is amazing fun. It's short and can be easily played in 5 minutes or less. It's meant for from the pack fun because you play it right out of the pack. And in-between matches and casual play. What's great is that you can teach the game in less than 5 minutes so get all your friends together for SonicX TCG party.

The game is pretty much the regular card game War with amazing twists. You can't really play it in big premier tournaments as it's just for fun.

The game was designed with two Uno decks so go figure.

And if you think I'm not a normal person with a normal social life... you're right. There's a life you guys don't see... in competitive trading card gaming.

The Fruits Basket Card Game is NOT a trading card game and that one's amazing. It's a stand alone great game, not expandable like Uno.

This SonicX Card Game (NOT TCG) is just a card game like Fruits Basket. Though I bet this is just SonicX TCG set 2 (Shadow the Hedgehog) wrapped up in one nice package. And I bet you can add set 1 to this for more fun. That said, I have a new article idea for Scrye.

Oh, and I fly all across the country so I can play my games. And we play over the internet otherwise. It can be done if you want to make it work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1