• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - All About Writin'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suika

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:

Oh this this this this!! While in theory I'd love to read more light novels, the ones that I have read-- Kino's Journey and Haruhi's first book-- were either written or translated in such a lifeless, stylistically barren way that they were chores to read. Which is odd, because the anime retellings of both of these novels were very "stylish" shows and relied a lot on playing with the mood and visuals in fun ways.

I'd love to read more light novels too, but most of the ones I've tried were written/translated so dry it was hard to get through the first chapter. At many points I just gave up and chose a non-translated novel instead. Heck, I've read better written fan-fiction even! Seriously, I would much rather have a fluid translation than "100% authentic" (and possibly underpaid) line by line translations.

I loved the the translation for the Moribito books and wished more light novels were of its caliber, but that sadly got cancelled. *sigh*
suika

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Ack! Sorry for the double post!

Last edited by suika on Sun May 15, 2011 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
toyNN

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Nice responses from most on the question of the week but many seemed to stray from the question of "production quality". I don't think that's the same as "quality of the anime" when referring to the story and such.

On that it would be an interesting question perhaps to ask "what show(s) would you consider as true classics of the last 5yrs?". Something that we'll be recommending years from now.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I keep praying that the rest of the Guin Saga arcs get translated.

Brian, you left out editing in your ingredients of good script writing mate. Wink
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
For those of you who would like to see what a detailed anime storyboard looks like I recommend checking out the two Limited Collectors Edition boxes of the first two Patlabor Movies. Each box contains the full storyboards with English translation.

BTW These were the first two complete storyboards published in the US.

The sets are reasonably priced and available for even less from The Right stuf.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
For those of you who would like to see what a detailed anime storyboard looks like I recommend checking out the two Limited Collectors Edition boxes of the first two Patlabor Movies. Each box contains the full storyboards with English translation.

The deluxe edition of the Black Rock Shooter JP blu-ray (with English subtitles!) also has a book with the full storyboards for the OVA. Especially fitting for that show, since the animation and sakuga are its best part.
braves

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
If anybody's interested in learning more about the production of anime, this post is a pretty good read (I know it goes beyond the question that was asked, but still). Also, a post by Peter Chung on storyboarding (the next one is a comment by Michael Arias on the subject as well).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:38 am Reply with quote
Superhero movies like to make their villains evil because the hero wouldn't look heroic beating up on a tragic character.

I could see light novels being easier to import than anime because you're dealing with only one or two license holders; the writer and maybe someone who owns the character/story rights. Translation would be the most difficult part, however novels get translated and sold overseas all the time. The bigger problem is that the publishing industry in America is struggling so just trying to sell any book is difficult.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I don't know if it counts as a light novel, but Noriko Ogiwara's Dragon Sword and Wind Child was my first via viz - and I'm happy to say the next book in that series is finally being released by Viz this month after years of waiting.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've now ordered a copy of the 2nd book from Amazon. I enjoyed the first book, which I got so long ago (19 Feb 2008, according to my notes). I'm now rereading it in preparation for the next one, just so that I remember a little about how the world works (presuming that they even use the same world; I've avoided all descriptions of the story in the new book, so I don't know if there are any ties to the last one). ^^

Quote:
Unfortunately for me I became an even bigger fan of Noriko's other series that went to Tokyopop, Good Witch of the West (everything I could want in a fantasy title). Tokyopop stopped around volume two, about the same time they halted all their other light novels.

I didn't realize that she was responsible for that series. I still own those two books that TP released, and always wished that more of them had been translated (as with so many other TP light novel series).

Quote:
The series spun off an anime and a manga (tokyopop stopped the manga a number of years ago with only one volume left) and now I'm left feeling I'm the only Western fan in the world wishing to know the real ending to the series, but dammit my Japanese sucks.

Hey, I'd like to know, too. I never bothered with the manga, though, since I preferred the novel format...

Quote:
I have a vague, unrealistic hope that if Viz's Dragon Sword Series sells well, they'll rescue Good Witch, but I sort of know that's not happening - good sales or the rescue.

I'm sure that that's a case of being far too optimistic than reality allows for. ;_;
ryukage

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:54 am Reply with quote
Sorry, Answerman. You misread Loki's character. It seems he fooled you as well. spoiler[He wasn't trying to destroy everything, just the Frost Giants entire race. This is a combination of two motivations:
1. By enabling the Frost Giants to nearly assassinate Odin and then stopping them, Loki demonstrates that they are a grave threat in order to justify his response of wiping them out. He appears a decisive hero who takes bold actions to protect his people.
2. The only people Loki is angrier at for the secret of his birth than his Asgardian parents are the Frost Giants who abandoned him and left him to die. Destroying them is an act of revenge.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2