• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-04-21]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickeyv

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
i was watching Ninku with Japanese audio and subs on AXN, (a channel which used to air great animes in asia) when i in 7th grade, imagine the difference in generation with that. wow. But still its a shame that so much is left over to availability and fate.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I haven't had time to read through all of the forum responses, so sorry if someone else commented on this:

Quote:
TV anime is all over the board in terms of quality, but it depends on the studio, the skill of the artists working on the project and the show's budget that determines how good the animation's going to be.

For the last 3 years I've been working on an American cartoon show where the primary animation is outsourced to Rough Draft Korea. It's my understanding that a lot of Japanese companies also outsource some or all of their animation work overseas to Korea or China, or other, smaller Japanese companies (Production I.G. is a rare exception - they do all their work "in-house"). Getting back quality animation from Korea is a big concern for the show that I work on. There are a number of ways in which we guarantee that, as much as possible, the animation is high quality:

1. Our two companies have a good relationship. This is extremely important - any two companies working together on the same project need to have a healthy relationship. My company handles other projects for other companies that they don't get along with as well - this makes a big difference. It seems as if a lot of anime is tending towards shorter series nowadays (the show I work on has 60+ episodes, so it's a long term gig) but I could see where in a shorter series, two companies that have never worked together before might have a whole truckload of misunderstandings, and they only work together for a short time, so it's not like they can iron things out after one season. After one season, it's over. And we might be talking about way more than two companies working on any given anime.

2. We make sure that the materials we deliver are on time and high quality. The better the storyboards we send to Korea - the more detail we use in every aspect of production (design, color, etc.) - the higher quality work we tend to get back. Not every American storyboard crew is quite so fine-tuned and obsessed with timeliness, I've heard tales of unfinished storyboards delivered late and unfinished... this leads to:

3. There is plenty of time/money in the schedule/budget for re-takes. Say we shipped our storyboard late, and Korea had less time to work on the show. As the schedule shrinks for every part of production everyone has to rush, and the time left to do retakes shrinks. Re-takes are usually stuff like characters saying the wrong lines, objects being the wrong color, feet sliding as people walk, and all kinds of crazy crap that gets lost in translation. There are always retakes, but some episodes need more retakes than others.

4. Sheet timers and Animation Directors are incredibly important. We know on our production which of the four Korean animation directors who work on our show are the best, so we try to save them for special or difficult episodes. Likewise for sheet timers. It turns out sheet timing is incredibly important, and can make or break a show in terms of animation quality. Most sheet timers are formerly animation directors themselves.

Sorry about talking shop so much... I guess to summarize; I suspect poor animation quality in anime is the direct result of poor handling of budgets and schedules, companies and crews working together who don't know each other at all or who work poorly together, an ultimate lack of money/time for retakes, and rookie producers/directors/sheet timers and everyone else.
Ceru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:
Ceru wrote:

Wrong.
Yes, there were anti-socials and jerks in the past, and yes they exist today as well. But there seem to be a LOT more of the anti-socials thanks to technology.

I would be willing to bet people were complaining about this when the telephone was invented, too. Rolling Eyes

It completely goes without saying that due to today’s technology, people don’t need to interact as much as they did before it existed. However, I fail to see how anime factors into all of this. I think you kind of missed my point…Jason’s rant came across (to me at least) like he was blaming anime itself for its anti-social fans, or trying to say that they were somehow anti-social because of their interest in anime. I don’t understand that reasoning. Not only does he not offer or have any proof, but he seems so be almost completely guessing that the old “anti-social anime fan” stereotype is real.

To me, it really seems like almost the opposite. People seem to forget that face-to-face meetings are not the only kind of social behavior to be had. I really believe that if anything, anime at least gives people something in common to talk about. People that have nothing in common other than their love for anime have something to talk about, whether it be in a school cafeteria, at an anime con, or online. You and I, for instance, would probably have never spoken if it were not for our common interest in anime. Anime, like other hobbies and interests, promotes social behavior, even if this is sometimes not face-to-face, and I think that can be nothing but a good thing.

Anyway, if someone chooses to use technology instead of face-to-face contact, it is their own fault. We all have free will. Blame the people, not the machines.

I’ll give you this: ugly otaku certainly exist. Those that do take anime too seriously and have allowed it to consume them. But you know, I bet there are ugly coin collectors, and ugly dog-show competitors, and ugly vintage Pepsi bottle collectors, too. Any hobby is going to produce that sort of person, but they are in the very small minority. I don't believe it's due to the times we live in, I think it just has to do with the tendency some people have to obsess over things.

All this aside, you actually misunderstood my meaning. Anime smile + sweatdrop When I said “the way kids are,” I didn’t mean if they were active or not, I meant how they act as far as behavior and manners and whatnot. Someone was saying the way certain anime characters act negatively influences people, etc…and that’s what my post was an answer to. It’s akin to the arguments that have been popping us about violence in movies and video games causing people to be violent, which I do not believe to be the case. That was the point I was trying to make there.

Heh, my bad. That's what happens when I read too fast. Anime smile;

To elaborate on my point, I think that anime does have a lot to do with someone's anti-social side (there are other factors too, obviously). The issue with anime is that it's not entirely... how to put it... socially "acceptable" yet. It varies from place to place, but in a lot of high schools if you mention your love for anime you get teased or bullied for it-- this leads you to hole yourself up in your room to avoid confrontation. Anime isn't the only issue here, obviously, but it's part of it. I'm hoping that the new generation of elementary schoolers who are being brought up in a time where a good deal of their cartoons are anime will be able to rectify this. (Even if what they watch is edited for merchandising purposes).

As for behavior and manners, that is kind of where the ugly otaku comes in IMHO, but in a different way. I'm somewhat of a con-goer and every time I attend one I manage to be horrified by fangirl/boy behavior. *please note that this does not apply to all con-goers, just some*
Fangirls, easily exciteable, begin to lose sight of personal space and glomp cosplayers dressed as their favorite character. They shriek loudly, draw (often negative) attention to themselves, and scurry about using bad Japenglish. "Omg you're such a baka!" "Kawaii!" and so forth. These are often abrasive people who will interrupt panels in order to be the center of attention. In addition to all this, they usually go nuts over the guests, and often forget about the line that shouldn't be crossed. I've witnessed girls kissing people without permission, or trying to hang off of them for as long as they can. Did I mention the personal space issue?
Fanboys, on the other hand, crawl deep inside of their invisible shells and tend to be either 1) really exciteable like the above fangirls, feeling no qualms with walking around in leather bondage catboy outfits, or 2) really really reeeeeeally introverted. These are the ones who have trouble talking to anyone... about anything. My friends and I met a guy in a great Krad cosplay once. All we said was "great costume" and he proceeded to gawk at us and carry on in a low monotone voice, going into great depth of every aspect of the costume. When we tried to pull away politely he just kept talking about nothing. I've encountered many fanboys like this, although usually it's more about the Gundam models they've collected.

Again this does not apply to everyone at cons-- I've made a lot of great, "normal" friend at conventions, but over the past 5 years I've definitely noticed an increase in these types (although that could be attributed to an increased awareness and interest in cons). The question becomes, what causes this behavior in the first place? What is it about anime that it draws out these personality types? I don't notice this many "issues" at university, but I've found that the types are so deeply rooted in anime that when I meet someone for the first time I can tell by their behaviour whether or not they are a fan. (9 out of 10 times I've been right). So what is it about anime that does this?
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The question becomes, what causes this behavior in the first place? What is it about anime that it draws out these personality types?

I would chalk it up to the "nerdy niche" phenomenon. Wouldn't you say there are people like this at Star Trek conventions? (I *am* a ST fan, btw.) I imagine the difference is that the people there are on average older and thus have learned not to be quite so "weird" (they have learned more common social behavior). Also, adults are simply more low-key.

It's partly a matter of anime being an interest that many people enjoy on their own, not having a large group of friends to discuss it with. Some do, of course, but we're talking about the odd ones. The ones who would be staying indoors anyway, except in the old days they would be reading books, like I did all day as a kid. (I do suspect, though, that the modern age of entertainment encourages this sedentary behavior somewhat more than books.)

Also, despite the fact that we all know anime is made for all age groups, it is *most* popular with the teens and tweens, with "popular" meaning "likely to draw obsessive levels of interest from its fans". Kids are naturally more obsessive about their interests than adults. And because anime cons skew towards a younger audience than sci-fi or fantasy cons, they're more likely to attract the "shriekers". They're just kids, albeit annoying ones. That's what kids do, they act out. They clearly won't still be acting that way at 30. At least, one hopes.
Dardre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:15 pm Reply with quote
The Rant and my response

Reading the rant and the many responses, I have come to the following conclusions. The 'ugly otaku' is nothing new. This type of person has always been there, in just about every type of culture or sub-culture. Are they irritating? Yes. Is there anything we can do about it? Only to an extent. The best we can do is ask them to calm down and try to act civilized. Wether they do or not is up to them.

Is this a growing problem? Not really. Think of it this way, if you have 100 fans of something together, and five of them are 'ugly', you end up with five percent who are jerks. If that fandom then grows to one thousand and now has fifty jerks in it, it's still only five percent. As a fandom grows, so does the total number of 'ugly' fans. However, that does not nessasarily mean the actual percentage of total fans who are 'ugly' has grown; it mearly seems that way. The more fans there are, the greater chance of meeting those that are rude and unpleasant.

I've only been to one convention so far, and my experiance was very pleasant. The other fans I met were polite and welcoming, often going out of their way to help a 'con-virgin'. My experiance has actually been that I've met more rude and 'ugly' fans on-line than 'out in the real world', but that might be a basis for someone's future rant.

As has been said by many far more eloquent than I, there have always been rude and 'ugly' people. Most of them grow out of it, but only just in time for the next group to move in and take their place. My advice? Either try to gently show them how to behave in an acceptable manner, or ignore them.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:23 am Reply with quote
Cool idea, Zac, and quite successful from what I've seen of this ongoing debate...

Since when is rude people a new thing, an ugly otaku a product of the newer generation, and the good old days ever existed anywhere?

Response to the rant itself:

Short Answer: Yes, grandpa, yes. It was better when Ike was the President.

Long Answer: I am young, I am new, and I think I am certainly quite polite and eloquent enough for my age, though I cannot compare myself to those with more time in the world, being sarcastic and childish at (many) times, and though introverted is a proper description of me, I think I could offer myself as an anectodal evidence: the entire rant is false because of me, so to speak, because it bases its premise on a very bold generalization which turns out to be false: that the Ugly Otaku is solely the product of the new generation, that most--implied, though if we take all his words at face value it could be "all"--people who are into anime are introverted, rude, suffered bad parenting, etc.

Nonetheless, the author has posted a new response which has not been quite so thoroughly discussed, and I'd rather focus my post on that...

Quote:
As passive aggressive as one can be, the response to the “Rant” has been heavily against my notion of an “Ugly Otaku.” Some cry for proof, or feel I am being a stickler to a minority, others find it’s no big deal, some feel that if I feel this way I should, in some odd way help change this quandary facing the “New Generation.” All in all it is very open ended counters as was my rant which has lead to a very healthy debate on the topic, even if no new ground is really being covered. So as I ponder a response I find there is really none to give, I can’t placate to the request and questions of all, unless I was loaned a couple thousand and given the time to write a book on the subject. I will address however what I find are general responses, with just as open ended yet clear response to not defend my views but to simply expand.
What, exactly, does this paragraph imply?
Quote:
I begin with the burden of proof, which is simply in the eye of the beholder. I can’t simply pull some statistics out of my pocket, or show a spreadsheet to compare and contrast to. My statements come from observing the community and my dealings with them as it relates with my work and work prior. I can say that if one would ask any shrink conscious Store manager to a Walden Books, or other chain Bookstore you can find in your local mall, they will usually give you the same response on what might keep them from their bounce yet be a big seller, Manga. From my end, as a law enforcement officer, these books are simply too good to be true for those of us less inclined to have morals. Small, many times thin, sensor tags can’t be easily hidden, prefect for a quick concealment, especially in winter or those of the baggy cloths trend usually dark in color.
Anectodal evidence from your part...hmm... Correlation is not an absolute indication of causation. Is it manga that does that, for sure? I personally don't steal, and I don't think any of my friends ever tried to steal manga from bookstores. For your evidence to be relevant you need to provide us with a full context. Your location, your community, the kids, your world.
Quote:
The fact that even with the Anime more readily available then ever before, Pirates go out of their way to continue their “fan” subbing (I use this word lightly for if they where fans they wouldn’t steal to begin with.) Subbing anime has become a art form it self, where one can push out a pirated copy of an new Anime series faster then the Chinese can Pirate the latest Movie from Hollywood. I live in a glass house, I have not downloaded or gone out of my way to get a pirated Anime, but I have watched them in my youthful past. It is plain and simple, I was wrong to indulge to this form of Anime, and it is wrong for others in the community to do so as well. No argument in the world can defend the unlawful theft and mass distribution of a product that is not their’s to give. The fact that so many not only defend, but encourage this shows the moral deviancy the modern Otaku faces.
Moral deviancy is too bold a claim, and might I say I am a proponent of certain flexibilities in the moral structure? Might I say, perhaps, that anime itself is not to blame, nor is it the younger generation, but human nature? I'm sure the Egyptians steal. I think the famous Pyramids of Giza were broken in just months after their completion--cute. Mass distribution, improvement of technology, only allows a nature inherent in us to take new levels and forms. Blaming the youngsters for their strange evilness not familiar to your generation is completely out of the point.
Quote:
A spade is a spade. As simple as that sounds that’s all I call attention too, I agree with many who post that the socially and morally disenfranchised Otaku is the minority; however it is the growing minority. I believe in addressing a problem rather then waiting until it is too late. This occult group of Otaku who have in the eyes of the modern world, act as the Anime fans mascot is something I wish changed. Many can simply ignore the problem and chop it up with the rest of the unexplained icons mainstream society has stapled on to the heads of many of ideas and groups. However we should look to one of the Anime worlds closest allies on how to deal with this.
First, you have no evidence to back up this claim of increasing anti-social behavior, especially that anime somehow causes it. Let me tell you that I think there probably was at least some amounts of introverts and anti-socials living in ancient societies, but they would probably had less survivability and didn't attract interests of the historiographers of the past. I might as well argue that we have become kinder on our outcasts, but that's besides the point.

Second, you warranted that the anime fandom has a duty to change, or bar, or whatever you are trying to do, which is unclear to me, those "undesirables." I beg to differ. It's people's business, not mine; ours is a society that is at its best in libertarian principles and at its worst when "moral superiority" prevails. Why must I take the blame, or try to change, another person's behavior just because we share a certain interest?
Quote:
The Video Game industry although far larger is the big cousin of the Anime industry. When the rabid soccer mom’s waged all out war against video games upon the tales of Grand Theft Auto, they didn’t stand idol, nor did they rollover. With great intelligence and stead fast vigilance the industry fought back and quickly turned a debate that even reached the house of congress into a dinner table conversation, for now.
- .-" As a part of the "Video Game" community, I'm certain that not so much "great intelligence" and "steadfast vigilance" is involved when they just say: "Mr. (senator something), back off." It's just common sense against politicians' efforts to gain soccer mom votes. Hurrah.

On a rant of my own, Hillary Clinton is starting to annoy me greatly with her tendencies to act like a Religious Right and neoconservative dumbarse in certain issues.
Quote:
The Otaku of the day should not look in shock and stand wondering what is going on when Anime becomes the target of attack. Like the Video Game industry that had its small battles over games like Doom, we in the Anime community must address our flaws to further our future not as outcasts. Staying as such will further fuel the moral decline. In the beginning companies like Nintendo had to deal with piracy and it did quickly and swiftly and with out mercy.
Again, with the moral decline, I have addressed it earlier. Now, with the idea of dealing with piracy aggressively. If that's your cause, that's fine. But you are blaming it on a very wrong cause.
Quote:
The Anime industry has done what it can to sway from the piracy the leader in what makes the Ugly Otaku, however the battle is difficult and it requires an audience willing to help weed them out and not encourage it. Sadly, we the audience still can't get past the expectance that it is wrong, this is where the “self-absorption and a demand for instant gratification” come into play. So no matter how small this crowd I speak of is, one can’t deny the harm it has done and the harm it continues to do if it grows as it is does. We can’t end it forever, but we must not let it become the image for all of us.
So your problem is with the piracy. Your argument seem to be calling for days of the past, when things were not quite easy and instant. Is that your crusade? Quite pointless, I say. And what battles? Again, what fight and why? To be truthful, fans of anime are not of a single mind, "community" might not even be a proper word. In fact, I'd rather say that you are being quite ludicrous to believe that not only that we must be concerned with our image, but that we must combat those who ruin it, as a community, somehow.

That's plain impossible. And I couldn't care less. You have not explained on why should I care if the minority of Ugly Otaku we are referring to acts the way they do, and why, if the mainstream adapts this as our image--as a matter of fact they have always done so--I must fight bigotry and generalization with an internal battle against the models of the stereotypes, and not against bigotry and generalization itself.
Quote:
May I digress from the very real problem of piracy which was the focal point of my last section to move on to an ending? I do what I can as any fan should to support the industry in a positive light. Also as a Police Officer, I try to help my community even the Otaku within it, by teaching moderation. Anime isn’t a life, to proudly say that I only watch anime is wrong, one should not let anything become a focal point in there life where it simply becomes “UGLY” that’s why in the very beginning I called it the UGLY Otaku.
It's nice of you to have scruples and such other things (and I do, too! Hurrah, may be?). There has always been people obsessed with a particular hobby, and there will always be. To lead back to the original point, you expressed your dissatisfaction with such a behavior, and that's fine, though with lots of generalizations and misconceptions, not to mention rants of nostalgic nature, and that's not fine as an argument. Though that leads us nowhere, as you have no clear point behind your expression.
Quote:
As a community we should not encourage behavior that leads us away from civility. Anime is a beautiful world of art and magic, stories for everyone and everything, but in moderation, the obsessed Otaku seems to always follow the same path, and this isn’t the path I wouldn’t want to take or the future generation to take. I am of age where bringing children into this world is in the near future. I as a future parent would never or could ever discourage my children from the world of Anime. But to allow them to fall into the social outcast that wonder the halls of conventions offering everything from hugs to lap dances for a stick of Pocky isn’t the world I want them to see.
Ah, so it's the parental concern for kids. That's most natural, but might I say that's also not the most logical of the arguments? If you are concerned, just be a good parent. Don't blame society or a bunch of people "ruining" society.
Quote:
Like all communities we will have our deviants, however we should never look away from them, and never encourage their further decline. We as a community are responsible for not encouraging the ugly Otaku; however it is the parent that is ultimately responsible for the education to avoid it. Families indoctrinated into the world of Anime is upon us, I am happy to see in the form that there are people who encourage there children to respect this form of entertainment. The need for parents to not let one fall down the road of becoming an Ugly Otaku will make a difference as we begin to usher in a third generation.
? Again, since when am I responsible for another person's fate based on shared interest? If I'd be a saint like that ("OMG this kid is screwed up. Because he is a fellow anime fan, by God I must save him!") I might as well devote myself to a nobler cause, like: "OMG this kid is screwed up. Because he is a fellow human, by God I must save him!" How's that?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
Since when is rude people a new thing, an ugly otaku a product of the newer generation, and the good old days ever existed anywhere?
Since
just before you were born? Wink Your nonchalant indifference and carefree acceptance to such behaviour is all the proof I need that it has become the norm for your generation. What future are we to behold then?
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
Since
just before you were born? Wink Your nonchalant indifference and carefree acceptance to such behaviour is all the proof I need that it has become the norm for your generation. What future are we to behold then?
The same as the past, probably. May be kinder and less social darwinistic to those who are incapable of responding to society's demands.

Be aware, too, of the perspective that many people, who are not vocal, take. That anime is their thing and they don't need a community to uphold; and indeed for some of them there is really no reason to, considering that the anime community's only true bonds are that they are humans and they like Japanese cartoons.

"I enjoy anime. I don't feel like talking about it to everyone I know, or finding other anime fans when I don't have to. So, why bother? What's the responsibility to do so, anyway?"

By the way, be careful of your perspectives. Memories lie. They sweeten; they mix dreams; and they do something that are not nice to the present. Everybody older than 15 (I'm 16 Razz) would experience that, and it's not memory loss, but memory itself. Wink

I could go on on how humans are always dissatisfied with the present and stuff, thus the idea of the utopian past/future, but it would be too long and nonsensical.

Perhaps I am indeed a product of my generation, but it would seem that the libertarian principles--do whatever is free under the sun as long as harm is not done on others--had been a centuries-old thing, no? Such behavior that has been the original premise is indeed obnoxious, annoying, and sometimes pitiful, but destructive? And nobody's giving me a justification of the cries for Crusade yet...
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
To samurai-with-glasses: while I appreciate your intelligence and articulateness, you aren't honestly in a position to make statements about the past. You are 16. That means you have a lot more experience than, say, an 8- or 12-year-old, and on an intellectual level you are probably on par with an adult by that age. But 16 years is not enough to see an overall change in society from when you were young to the present.

I hardly want to get into such a can of worms, but this moral decline is a real thing, and it is also a thing which has been going on only in the last century or so. It's not just the propaganda of some right-wing nuts. Even some adults who ought to know better by their age (looking at you, Jon Stewart) maintain that things have not changed, because that would acknowledge the moral right's arguments as having some basis. So they accuse the right of being intolerant and ignorant (which they sometimes are), while at the same time going too far the other way and showing their own intolerance for and ignorance of traditional morals.

I'm only 24 myself. I'm acknowledging that up front. But there are other ways to gain knowledge of what the past was really like. Talk to your parents. Ask them if they locked their doors 30 years ago, 40 years ago. Ask them if *their* parents had as much to worry about over their kids as your parents do. Ask them why they think there's been a change.

There have always been jerks, always been criminals, always been introverts and perverts, in every society and time period. But speaking specifically about our modern era, here in America at least, I believe there has been an decrease in compassion for our fellow man in the relatively recent past.

You can point to the figures for people giving to charities, but that only speaks to part of the population. What about the part that doesn't give? What figures are kept that can track those people, to tell us if they're getting ruder? Even those giving to charity may simply be assuaging their conscience with a pious gesture, not to mention looking for a tax break.

Of course I can't back up something as nebulous as "empathy" with figures. It's up to each one of us to recognize the problem. But I should tell you that virtually every teenager thinks that libertarian ideals are a good idea, simply because of their place in life: still under their parents, but transitioning to being an adult. You want to be able to make your own choices in life, so you automatically associate your negative feelings towards rules that seem meant for kids with the morals that conservatives are always talking about, and decide you don't like those either. It's all part of the oppressive "system".

Maybe you'll still feel that way in 20 years, but many people don't as they get older. They see what results from trying to live a traditionally moral life and what results from living a life where morals are defined arbitrarily by each person. And remember, it's a basic human trait to assume we're mature, no matter our age. I remember laughing at how little the kids were in Kindergarten... when I was in 5th grade! I was still a little kid myself, just less little! It wasn't until I was coming out of my teenage years that I realized that the first key to true maturity is acknowledging that you will never be done maturing, and you always need more experience.

I'm not denying you the right to express yourself, merely cautioning you that your thoughts of today might sound quite uninformed to you, if, ten or twenty years down the road, you were to read them again.

-------

Anyway, I haven't been an anime fan long enough to comment on whether otakus have gotten ruder. I do think that increasing levels of rudeness are permitted by parents across the board, so certainly this could influence otaku culture as much as anything. And keep in mind, there's rude-because-you-haven't-learned-better, and rude-because-you-don't-care. In any insular, "nerdy" fan lifestyle, there's probably more of the former than the latter.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I just want to point out two things:

#1, I no longer really care to defend Jason's point as (according to the post on here) it's basically INTENDED to just be a rant about piracy which is a topic much more heavily (and thoroughly) tread, and one which has much less interest. I'm not saying "piracy is good" but I honestly don't care what one pirating (or FORMER pirating, if you will) fan thinks or says to another. Fan social dynamics are interesting, but apparently not his point.

#2, if you're under 20 (and possibly if you're under 25) you really can't speak to whether or not the fan scene has or has not changed. That's not an attempt to be "elitist" or "i'm older and wiser than you", it's that you don't KNOW. If you're 16 or younger there are anime conventions that are older than you, to say nothing of the fandom itself. Much like other trends, if you haven't been involved for at LEAST something like 10 years or more, anything you notice could just be a "statistical anomaly".
Gauss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:

I'm only 24 myself. I'm acknowledging that up front. But there are other ways to gain knowledge of what the past was really like. Talk to your parents. Ask them if they locked their doors 30 years ago, 40 years ago. Ask them if *their* parents had as much to worry about over their kids as your parents do. Ask them why they think there's been a change.

If I did that they would say it's much much better now. If I asked them to compare with 20 years ago (heck, I can pose the question to myself) they would say it was better then. If I asked them to elaborate they would say crime was bad in the 60's, life was good in the late 80's and while times are more insecure nowadays at least people are more polite.

In a wider historical perspective I can point out that at any time and in any place you'll find old geezers complaining about the lack of manners in the young and how everything used to be better (especially morals). It's truer to say things change and while the young whippersnappers might behave worse in some areas, they also behave better in other areas.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote
When they stop asking you for ID when you're buying booze that's when you know you've reached maturity. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7