• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kanye West Makes Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:42 pm Reply with quote
fatmandoubblescoop wrote:
well i think kanye west is a good rapper and he's my favorate one. and to talk of him like he isnt good at all is stupid if he wasnt good jay-z wouldnt of signed him. kanye isnt the only person who hates bush i herd more white people say they hate than black people. and just becuse he is a rapper dosnt mean he couldnt make a good manga or comic book. i know ill support him

Since you're new, I'll just go ahead and say that you NEED to improve your grammar and spelling. Immediately if at all possible, because what you've demonstrated in this post is far from ANN's acceptable levels.

Ironic, since we're talking about a style of music that requires verbal dexterity, eh? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, it can't be as bad as 50 Cent try at video games. Over a million sold, so either he's buying them all (Even if it was an April Fools Joke, it would be logical.) or there are alot more brain dead people. Unlike some people in this topic, I'm not judging it (the manga) becasue of the rapper.

However, I could care less what Kanye does with anything. He's in his last very few minutes of fame anyway.

NOTE: *sigh* This comment is based on rappers going in to other mediems (Games, Movies, Books). I can give a rat's butt about his and 50 cent "music". Rap isn't my cup of tea.

Last edited by Ataru on Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
RezSav

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Doubt it, his name has become a staple. When people talk about the production of a song, they say it's "Kanye-esque." Not just in mainstream, but underground, too.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
Doubt it, his name has become a staple. When people talk about the production of a song, they say it's "Kanye-esque." Not just in mainstream, but underground, too.

Slang comes and goes, too. Saying something's "Kanye-esque" will probably go the way of "Git-R-Done" and calling homosexual things "brokeback" when they pass into the absence of memory, as well. Having a buzzword named after you at the pinnacle of your popularity does not earn you "irreplaceable staple" status; let's wait and see if that term weathers the test of time first.

Anyway, as to Kanye's comic book, the guy's apparently actually a fairly good artist, so at least that end of it will probably be solid. But I've heard too many people from all walks of life say "I've/he's got so many of these ideas up in his head and once he gets them on paper...," only to have them turn out to be a complete waste, that I'll wait and see if his are really any different from their many thousands before I either write him off as a hack or jump into "blind praise" mode.

(Oh, and I just cannot wait for someone to twist my objective "wait-and-see" take on the topic of his comic into me "hatin'" on Kanye! Some people in this thread are just so good at that!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ChangSauce

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Dear lord, this is more ignorant statements being thrown around in this topic than, well, Kanye's statement about Katrina.

In any case, though I am not a general fan of Hip Hop, I do enjoy Kanye's music, he is aware he is not of a violent backround and doesn't try to fake it. He makes up for it with pretty good music. Compare a song by him to a 50 Cent single and there is little doubt over which is the more interesting song.

And to all the people who say he's going through his fifteen minutes of fame, that's a little unfair. The man has worked as a producer for several years, one of the reasons he was able to break through is because his skills as a producer were loved by so many.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:00 am Reply with quote
T0FFe3m@n wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
His Hurricane Katrina Rant pretty much derides anything he does. Period.

Am I the only one who found that comment funny? Maybe because im from the UK..

I saw what Jeremy Clarkson wrote after Hurricane Katrina, and I had to wholey agree with him about America today. Were just a buncha idiots that are saddled with enormous rules and regulations and stigmas.

I mean, look at the Fast and Furious Franchise. Asians are blacklisted as Villians, while the heros are either cucasian or some non-asian race. Even 4Kids Entertainment is accused of being overtly xenophobic by the more vocal Anime fans here in the USA.
ponlork

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:05 am Reply with quote
I've heard worst stuff being said about our president but anyways, you can't deny that there wasn't people in New Orleans and around the US who didn't share kanye’s sentiments. You don't necessarily have to agree with the man but I respect his opinion because I can understand the frustrations and anger among the black community at that time. I'm glad he went against the grain and didn't stick to the script because if he didn’t do it, then nobody else will. You've seen Master P Cash Money and No Limit holding these "Save our Hood" Press conferences pleading for help and complaining but aint nobody tryna hear a bunch of negros talkin at least Kanye had a big enough podium where he can be heard and make ya'll listen. when he made those statements he was speaking for a lot of folks out there who felt similar and maybe it wasn’t the best place to say it but while they was holding benefits people were dying stuck under water dehydrating and starving with no access to the media so you can imagine how some of these people felt being abandoned and ignored

What I didn't like was how the media tried to butcher his comments and only aired portions of it in an attempt to undermine his intelligence and make him out to look like a bubbling buffoon. They failed to include his more potent quotes such as: "I hate the way they portray us in the media. You see a black family and they say we are looting, you see a white family and they say they are looking for food." And only focus on the George Bush doesn’t care about black people line. I also didn't like how they censored the west coast airing opting his statements making it nothing more than a sterile, self-serving corporate broadcast.

in white America’s eyes a lot of people looked at him with disgust and get all wussified like "I lost all respect for the man", "boycott his music" or whatever like anybody speaking against George W. Bush is unpatriotic and if you don’t like America then you can giiid out. But I remember all around my neighborhood, on Hip Hop stations Black television and inner cities they were airing his statements uncensored in it's entirely and Kanye was highly respected (well at least in my 'hood) for making those bold statements. And really I didn't think it was all that bad, people getting a little too worked up over it. when he said “Bush doesn’t care about Black people” it’s more like when you get mad at someone and say some shit out of anger. Don't take everything so literally

Now for the content of Hip Hop music, come on now you guys are the last group of people I want to hear criticizing the content in rap music. I've seen more controversial disturbing and offensive stuff in anime and manga then i ever seen in rap. I’m talking about subject matter dealing with rape, incest, pedophilia, murder violence sex and other taboo topics covered in anime but I'm not gonna cast a black cloud over anime and generalize it Just like Hip Hop shouldn't be stigmatized neither. if you don't like the music just say you don't like it don't gotta be making excuses why Rap is crap if it aint your taste then it aint your taste.

Kanye and Ludacris is far from being gangsta, some people just read what these rappers say on paper but if you were to actually listen to a Ludacris track, his style is more slapstick comedy then serious. I guess Bill O'Reilly didn't get the memo because it's all about the context in how you say things, you can recite a lyric in two tottally different manners and it can mean two tottally different things depending on how you say it. As for rappers out there who portray themselves as thugs, it's all about image that type of stuff appeal to people just like when you watch anime or a motion picture where the main character might look tough or fierce rather then plain and ordinary. People just like bad asses what can I say it's all about charisma in today's Hip Hop but I don't really got a problem with gangsta rap because it's actually my favorite type of music haha but that's just my personal taste. And I aint the type to be concern about other people’s tastes, I rather fans formulate their own opinion and judge for themselves instead of dick riding off someone else’s opinion and preference. So if Get Rich or Die Snitching is your thang then who am I to judge? It don’t matter how great a game or anime title is I bet there’s always somebody out there who hate it and vice versa, so do you! quit following trends, it aint on me it's on You
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:12 am Reply with quote
I guess Kanae's taking a break from writing himself into the Bible.
spiderkid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:30 am Reply with quote
Mofudos wrote:
spiderkid wrote:
Gym Class Heroes is awesome! But yeah... how can anyone really believe that Kanye will be forgotten? He's bringing back into the mainstream the forgotten meaning of hip-hop. People use hip-hop too interchangeably with rap. Rap is made of getting shot nine times, growin up in the hood, and pushin a Benz. Hip-hop does include rapped lyrics, but the lifestyle it invokes doesn't take root from any hood you're from or what car you drive. It's all about really good and soul-pleasing beats with song lyrics that don't always include cars, girls, money and drugs. That's why Kanye will not be forgotten. This manga will be AWESOME! I'm sure of it.

One of the first intelligent comments I've read in here today. It's obvious that many people come around not knowing what their talking about. Kanye has never once tried to be "hood" or "gangsta". When someone thinks of Hip-Hop they immediately think of thugs but that's really not the case here.

Why don't you listen to some of his lyrics and see how deep they really are. Roses for example.

Right!? Imagine a manga based on Roses, We Can Make It Better, or My Way Home, etc. I'm highly selective in the manga I buy, and I would definitely pick this up.
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
At least he's doing something professional and worthwhile. Unlike that 50-cent, who's releasing his own brand of dildos and adult toys that is a clone of his(UGH disgusting).
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:58 pm Reply with quote
AyumiHamasaki wrote:
At least he's doing something professional and worthwhile. Unlike that 50-cent, who's releasing his own brand of dildos and adult toys that is a clone of his(UGH disgusting).

He's not doing anything "worthwhile," he's just entering a medium that has seen an increasing popularity as of late. And it should be titled as an OEL instead of manga.
patch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I also think that's obviously not manga, it's going to be an american comic that is not even going to be illustrated by someone who has any sort of manga influences or ties.

I'm amazed even that title "Kanye West Make Manga" got past the editors here, let alone the actual substance of the news.
anime_123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:06 pm Reply with quote
patch wrote:
I also think that's obviously not manga, it's going to be an american comic that is not even going to be illustrated by someone who has any sort of manga influences or ties.

I agree with you there, either way, Kayne West + Manga does not match.
Stefnick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:16 pm Reply with quote
anime_123 wrote:
patch wrote:

I agree with you there, either way, Kayne West + Manga does not match.

I'm just wondering why it can't match. Like people said before manga basicly means comic book in japanese. And plus he said manga-like comic. Ya know your really putting me down. All these people saying it can't be manga or consider manga if it's not made in Japan. But many people call Korean comicbooks manga. I haven't heard anybody complaining about that. Anyway what the heck do you mean by "influences or ties". Is it so wrong for someone in the US (or any place other than japan) to create a graphic novel and have it recongized as a manga without people bashing you. It's not that deep.
sodynaor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Seems like he's just cashing in on the increasing popularity. Who knows maybe it might turn out pretty good instead of the usual "churn out a shoddy product for a quick buck" routine.

Quote:
I'm just wondering why it can't match. Like people said before manga basicly means comic book in japanese. And plus he said manga-like comic. Ya know your really putting me down. All these people saying it can't be manga or consider manga if it's not made in Japan. But many people call Korean comicbooks manga. I haven't heard anybody complaining about that. Anyway what the heck do you mean by "influences or ties". Is it so wrong for someone in the US (or any place other than japan) to create a graphic novel and have it recongized as a manga without people bashing you. It's not that deep.

I think when people say manga they more or less mean comics imported from asia (primarily korea/japan). But as far as I'm concerned all the comics/manga are stocked under "graphic novels". Which is a more general term. Manga carries the connotation of being something imported while comic we use for anything domestic. With that in mind, let's not get so bent out of shape over semantics.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8