• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kanye West Makes Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SadistAikoku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't like rap, and to hear that a 'Rapper' is going to make a 'Manga-like' anything, makes me a bit angry, not saying that he has no right.., tho it may be a good one, I won't know until I see it, but... It's not my cup of tea, per say.. but I won't say he's not right in doing so, Tho I probably won't even acknowledge the 'Manga-like' Creation of his, or even pick it up.

Not to bash on it, but it probably won't be that good.

Last edited by SadistAikoku on Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:31 pm Reply with quote
How, again, does rap music inherently make a mockery of anime & manga? I...can't quite get a good, strong grasp on that concept.

Especially seeing how good Samurai Champloo was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SadistAikoku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Not going to argue.

Last edited by SadistAikoku on Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Arguments and debates are why forums exist.

And what on Earth was the point of bringing up such a brash and blanketing statement if you're not going to bother explaining yourself? 'Round these parts we call that trolling.

So. Elaborate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SadistAikoku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Think about the lyrics, and much of what will be in this 'Manga', and think about how a TRUE anime/manga fan would think this would be a mockery?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Look, will you stop beating around the bush and just spit it out? You keep going around saying "it's a mockery, it's a mockery, the lyrics are a mockery," but you have not once stated why.

Now cut the crap and elaborate. NOW. I will not tolerate people going ito a thread and slinging around trolling comments without at least making some half-legitimate attempt to back up their statement with some measure of decent reasoning. Since you've already thrown out the comment, you'd best be damn well prepared to follow through with it.
SadistAikoku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:54 pm Reply with quote
..... I replied, why I think it's a mockery, I'm a true anime fan, I do not like Rap, AND I DO NOT LIKE KANYE WEST. That's why it's a mockery, Kick me, do whatever, but I do not like that he's going to make a Manga, I don't care if he does, this is a forum as you stated and we can argue, But I told you already, I said what would a TRUE anime/manga fan think? There was your answer... Maybe I just like asking questions as well as answering in the question. But if that annoys you, I'll shut up. I won't reply anymore.
Kal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Stefnick wrote:
All these people saying it can't be manga or consider manga if it's not made in Japan. But many people call Korean comicbooks manga. I haven't heard anybody complaining about that.

Actually, Korean comic books are called "manhwa", which is the Korean word for "comic". It's the same thing with the Japanese term "manga" or even the Chinese term "manhua". They all mean the same exact thing. The only difference is how you say it in another country.

So personally, the only issue I have with Kanye West saying that his new book is going to be drawn with a "manga-style" is that it's going to be nothing more than a comic. I don't think it was necessary for him to coin a foreign terminology that has been gaining popularity over the years, just so he can promote his new merchandise.

Even though I dislike the idea that Kanye West is trying to gain money from the anime/manga crowd, I think he has every right to make a comic... just... it's really silly to refer to it with a foreign word :\
Grimmstone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I think it is just hilarious that people are getting up in arms about him making an anime inspired serial and equating it to the subject matter in his songs while looking right past the hentai and ultraviolent anime that is made in Japan.

And if you think Kayne is a bottom feeding racist, I've got two words for you: "Shintaro Ishihara".
oe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I feel like there are some racist undertones in some of these posts. (I've only read about half of them, though.)

That observation aside, what I find interesting is the medium in which Kanye has chosen to branch out. Lots of hip-hop/rap stars venture into side industries like fashion, video games, energy drinks, film, etc. Most of these efforts seem scattered and misdirected, but I think Kanye's move into ah... story-based graphic art is a remarkably astute identification of his audience and target market. I think if he gets this displayed prominently at stores like Barnes&Noble he will make buckets of money to add to the boatloads he already has, regardless of the quality. I will probably not purchase said product, but I think he's a smart man.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
SadistAikoku wrote:
But I told you already, I said what would a TRUE anime/manga fan think? There was your answer...

You're being absurd, I hope you realize. "True anime fan?" What kind of elitist, subjective nonsense is that? There's no set-in-stone criteria for being a "true anime fan," and not everyone who considers themselves as such thinks alike. To say "this is what a true anime fan thinks" and stopping at that is about as far from offering up a valid reason as you could possibly get!

Maybe instead of hiding behind that cheap, imaginary label and making nonsensical excuses around it, you could've been frank and just said what you thought and spared us all a lot of grief.

Yeesh.
oe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I have to agree with Nagisa. If SadistAikoku was a text-generating program– which it might be, for all I care– its personality would be "ignorant jerk," and would have to endure extensive re-coding and ass-kicking until finally being released to the world as SadistAikoku 2.0, beta.

But please, please don't stop posting... it would really detract a lot from the thread, and true anime fans never, ever give up– right?

...Honestly.

lol pwnd Anime hyper Anime hyper
Shinotaku14
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
SadistAikoku wrote:
But I told you already, I said what would a TRUE anime/manga fan think? There was your answer...

You're being absurd, I hope you realize. "True anime fan?" What kind of elitist, subjective nonsense is that? There's no set-in-stone criteria for being a "true anime fan," and not everyone who considers themselves as such thinks alike. To say "this is what a true anime fan thinks" and stopping at that is about as far from offering up a valid reason as you could possibly get!

Maybe instead of hiding behind that cheap, imaginary label and making nonsensical excuses around it, you could've been frank and just said what you thought and spared us all a lot of grief.

Yeesh.

Haven't you heard Nagisa? True anime fans hate rap, talk in circles and have no real way to back up opinions!

Seriously, SadistAiKoku. Let's say for a moment that, since I've been watching anime for about 9 years (and have subsequently watched more anime than most people are ever likely to) that I'm what you might call a "true anime fan." Now with that assumption, I'll tell you what a 'True fan' would think. A true fan would think 'gee, that's interesting. I'll see if it amounts to anything.' That's really the worst you can say about it.
A level headed individual knows better than to condemn somthing before it even comes off the presses. Give it a chance. You never know, it could be good.

Also, I don't personally care for the rap genre, but just because an artist is part of some genre you hate is not a good reason to dislike them. That could be misconstrued as racism, and I'm fairly certain you don't want to be seen that way, do you?

Now, that said. Make some posts that mean somthing, kay?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ponlork

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:24 am Reply with quote
People seem to forget that these celebs are regular people just like you and us. for all we know he could be a hardcore anime and manga fan too. You can't automatically assume just because somebody is famous that they're trying to cash in and capitalize off the success. That's all in you guys imaginations man, you don't know for sure. I think people need to stop acting all snobbish and bitter when anime gets mainstream and wait til we see the end result before making any rash judgement. If it's one thing I can't stand it's hearing fans get all bitter about how they "liked it before it was popular" and how a title isn't really anime just because it doesn't fit their criteria and standards of what they believe being a true anime fan should be

I love Hip Hop it's not just a genre it's a culture and way of life just because I'm Hip Hop doesn't mean I'm not allowed to enjoy anime and manga. Them prejudices pre-conceived notions and stereotypes ya'll need to squash it, the digital divide between rich and poor is being bridged and yes even us boughetto folks can go online and download anime too it's not limited to a certain group of people anymore and I don’t think anime should be confined to a certain class neither. erase the color lines

And again about the term Manga being used in America it's mainly to refer to Japanese comics, usually when a manga is from another origin besides Japan people will make a note of it such as an american manga or korean manga (manhwa). Because Japan isn't as flooded with western comics they don't usually have to worry about making a distinction between the styles but when an american manga does come into light they'll usually point out that it's of Western Origin instead of overlooking that fact and consider it manga like one of theirs. Same with anime. Sure we can have Americans and Koreans doing manga too but I don't think you can just pit them all together and say they're the same thing
Ralboon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:45 am Reply with quote
Kanye West making a "manga style" comic book based around the lyrics to his songs? Something tells me this may turn into an illustrated form of "Trapped In The Closet", minus the midget strippers and (hopefully) face melting crappulence.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8