• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NIS America Anime Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Did anyone who ordered Eccentric Family directly from NISA get a shipping confirmation yet?

Just wondering if I need to worry. I know it's only one day late though.

I got confirmation yesterday that it shipped out on my end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Norbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:52 am Reply with quote
I really like the new NIS style of releases, never liked those long cases.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
So I called Tuesday & they said I should get a shipping notification Wed morning but here it is Thursday and still no notification. Sad

Edit: Called again and they said there was a general delay with shipping the set. Apparently they are backed up with also shipping Lovelive
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Norbie wrote:

I agree. It's the reason why I haven't bought Fuse yet.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:12 am Reply with quote
I loved the old long cases and will miss them.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
I figured that my delay was partially due to having ordered the Kinkaku and Ginkaku thingys in the same order. I'll just have to wait and see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:14 am Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
Norbie wrote:

I agree. It's the reason why I haven't bought Fuse yet.

I didn't like the old cases at first, but they grew on me. It was like being able to display a mini-poster with the added benefit that it hadn't been folded to fit into a DVD case and had ugly fold lines. Now I'm kinda of missing the long cases as they made the release unique--sometimes a unique pain in the ass for storing and displaying, but I was able to make it work.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I have a place to store the old long boxes, but it is almost full. As a result I find that the change is very timely. The fact that I had to find a third location to display/store anime was always a nuisance, still is for that matter.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I've always liked these "already being considered as old" cases since they tend to showcase the artwork for the show or movie in them in a big way. They're definitely unique. Especially if you step back and look at what's been released for fans in R1 (only considering everything since *2000 here, which was when I first bought Gits, the movie).

Dunno, maybe I'm just completely out of it?, but it just seems that if I'm going to invest some of my time and money into a creative fictional endeavor, or an entire body of the stuff for that matter, then I want a distinct memento of the ones that worked for me. They've done that and then some.

Now if they're reducing box size to reduce costs then that's something else altogether. I'd much prefer that they survived in R1 though, so you do what you gotta do NISA.

potatochobit wrote:
this is what they look like...

Thanks for the pic, not much "sticker" to them since they're magnetic Very Happy (same as Wagnaria!!'s)

*Edit
That was 2002 (my Amz US order history beginning 2000)

Last edited by lem on Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:

Quote:
if I'm going to invest some of my time and money into a creative fictional endeavor, or an entire body of the stuff for that matter, then I want a distinct memento of the ones that worked for me.

Which is precisely why I got into figures. It is also why I was into real posters until they disappeared from the market. This is why I prefer to stick to figures consistent with the show instead of the fanservicey ones.

The problem I have with bulky limited editions is that it is hard to store them with the rest of my anime. When I'm trying to decide what to watch next, I find that out of sight is out of mind. Since the NISA boxes are stored elsewhere they tend to be overlooked.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Which is precisely why I got into figures. ...posters ...and figures consistent with the show instead of the fanservicey ones.
The problem I have with bulky limited editions is that it is hard to store them with the rest of my anime.

They are great that way aren't they? Especially when the pose captures the essence of that character.

As for bulky editions, well the problem I have in general is a lack of space to display anything properly. I'm working on it though.

Sure there's beauty in uniformity and compactness. It's also nice to be able to have instant random access. But I'm just not there yet, and I'm not collecting computer memory chips. A plastic eyeball perhaps, a tin with a window, one that looks like an old camera, a lunch box or two, a box covered in red felt(?), one made out of wood, or even a flat textured box? Sure. I like.

In an anime world of round holes, buying a show that had its artwork for the physical edition presented in a square peg NISA kinda way just had a certain charm about it. As a collector, I'll miss them.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
@lem
Red felt covered box, I assume you mean for Rozen Maiden. The correct term if "flocked". Essentially glued down fuzz. They use an industrial process that makes it stick better than if you did it at home. I gave that away. The fuzz is impossible to fix if it gets rubbed off.

The wood box from Samurai Deeper Kyo I use to hold some of the odder pack ins from shows, like magnetic stickers from School Rumble and paper dolls from Mahoromatic. The amplifier from Beck I use to store those advertising cards from Right Stuf and the nice red box from Negima I use for post cards from various shows. I still haven't a use for that silly lunch box from Drrr and I gave away the tin with the window from GITS SAC second season.

I used to have a lot of shows in singles, many in art boxes. Where possible I have gotten rid of them in favor of more compact versions that have come out since. I realize they looked nice on the shelves, but I had half of my anime in boxes in the closet due to lack of shelf space. Now my anime may not have all of those big boxes but it is out where I can see it.

Everyone has their own preferences and priorities. Personally, I've about had it with limited editions that take up too much space.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I received my Eccentric Family set yesterday (was surprised to see it when I came home because I never did get a shipping confirmation). It's beautiful, both the box and the cases are really well designed (the cases have art that wraps around on both sides, and more art when you open the cases).

This is also one of NISA's better efforts with the art books. It has tons of interviews, info, and some nice pictures. It also tells you about the locations in Kyoto.

The only thing is while I don't mind the the box size changing, the art book size shrinking is a disappointment.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
The content of the NISA art books has always been variable. I expect it depends on what the Japanese company provides. Full page illustrations from a show were great. Character designs and discussion, interviews, chapter summaries can be printed at any readable size without problem. Unfortunately there were too few of the full page illustrations. I like the reduced size.

What would have been nice would have been if the box held just the disks in standard size and the (larger) art book could be shelved separately. I feel the same when a show from anyone includes a music CD. It should have its own case to put with other CD, or at least the case inserts for a standard CD jewel box.
WTK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote

A Lull in the Sea (Nagi no Asukara): Complete Series Premium Edition (Blu-ray) - 615 minutes - $179.99 - 6/30/15
Quote:
Contains episodes 1-26 plus 2 original CD soundtracks and a 76-page full color hardcover art book with character info, an episode guide, text commentary, prop designs, and full background art and art settings.

Special Features: Clean Openings and Endings, Original Japanese Trailers.

Spoken Languages: English, Japanese, English subtitles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12