• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Suzuki: 'Next Ghibli Film to Be Released Next Summer'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Were you somehow under the impression they were still fully implementing analog production methods? What people mean by hand-drawn is "no CG elements", not that computers aren't involved in the process.

Miyazaki abandoned CG elements after Howl's, but their CG utilization from Mononoke to Howl's certainly wasn't bad, if they decide to start using them again.

Ghibli used digital paint for the first time in Princess Mononoke, for some parts due to deadlines.

Digital paint and ink was used since then and until Ponyo, CG as well, in Howls for example.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
dan9999 wrote:
And here my biggest worry is that Ghibli may fully adopt digital only animation, Miyazaki is the reason his movies and thus ghibli's were still done in traditional animation fashion (minus some 2000s ones that were a fusion of both animation styles).

I will be sad if Ghibli goes fully digital for the sake of speed and easiness, it wont be Ghibli anymore when and if that happens.

What are you talking about? They've been using digital ink for over a decade now, they're definitely not hand-inking cels and photographing them. By "fully digital", I can only guess you mean people drawing on tablets instead of paper and making scenes only using digital composition methods. That happens, like for some scenes in Birdy Decode, but having animators draw on paper to be scanned in and colored digitally is how most anime (TV, OVA and film) are still produced, from cheap-ass hentai to Ghibli.

Were you somehow under the impression they were still fully implementing analog production methods? What people mean by hand-drawn is "no CG elements", not that computers aren't involved in the process.

WRONG!!! walw6pK4Alo: Miyazaki went back to TRUE TRADITIONAL ANIMATION with Ponyo, I saw with my own eyes the cels and mountains of drawings in the Ghibli Museum my last time I was in Japan:

Quote:
Miyazaki has used traditional animation throughout the animation process, though computer-generated imagery was employed starting with Princess Mononoke to give "a little boost of elegance".[36] In an interview with the Financial Times, Miyazaki said "it's very important for me to retain the right ratio between working by hand and computer. I have learnt that balance now, how to use both and still be able to call my films 2D."[39] Digital paint was also used for the first time in parts of Princess Mononoke in order to meet release deadlines.[40] It was used as standard for subsequent films. However, in his 2008 film Ponyo, Miyazaki went back to traditional hand-drawn animation for everything, saying "hand drawing on paper is the fundamental of animation."[41] Studio Ghibli's computer animation department was dissolved before production on Ponyo was started, and Miyazaki has decided to keep to hand drawn animation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayao_Miyazaki

Quote:
This film is the first animated feature film to use traditional inked-and-painted cels since the release of Princess Mononoke in 1997

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponyo

You still dont believe me Ghibli has been using traditional animation since Ponyo, including traditional ink and paint on cels?

Quote:
The last major feature film to use traditional ink and paint was considered to be Studio Ghibli's Princess Mononoke (1997), until they returned to the technique for Ponyo (2008) and their later films;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_animation

This is just a testament of how skilled Ghibli is if you believed Gjibli has been using digital paint and ink since 10 years ago, and in fact that is wrong too, digital paint was used since 1997 and digital animation properly in the 2000s (combined with some hand drawn as well)

Lake I said, I saw with my own eyes the titanic task it represented to produce ponyo in the traditional animation process, I am not surprised Miyazaki is retiring from such monumental task, I mean look how you think its digital!! And it is not, not since ponyo, imagine the work needed to make it looks so awesome!!

Dunno why always find people on this site that are confused when it comes to traditional animation or more commonly referred to as hand drawn animation... Confused

I am not confused about what hand drawn means walw6pK4Alo, hand drawn animation refers to the full traditional animation process including ink and painting on cels, what you and many seem to be confused about is that you are taking the term "hand drawn" literally. Context is important, when you refer to the animation process you cannot understand "hand drawn" in the literal sense, is a whole process, you cannot pretend that because artists hand draw some stuff here and there its is hand drawn animation it is not.

Last edited by dan9999 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Poppy Hill and Arrietty were definitely digital paint, so I don't know where they got that line from. Everything still uses paper, you're the only confused on that since you throw these little shitfits in every thread.
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Poppy Hill and Arrietty were definitely digital paint, so I don't know where they got that line from. Everything still uses paper, you're the only confused on that since you throw these little shitfits in every thread.

Such short reply in front a facts. Be humble when you got your facts wrong and sources were given to you, where they got them from? Check the sources, Miyazaki himself said it from his own mouth, and those statements are well cited via wikipedia if you are in doubt.

Ponyo is done fully in the traditional animation process, this is fact. Arriety and Kokuriko-zaka Kara are hand drawn mostly, this is fact, but I cannot discard some digital here and there since they are not Miyazaki´s films, I mean, you thought Ponyo was fully digital..Ghibli's digital department disappeared before Ponyo, this is also a fact.

At the least you can be sure Miyazaki latest film features hand drawn animation entirely, same as Ponyo.

Like I said, I worry that Ghibli movies from now on go fully digital since it was Miyazaki that still wanted traditional animated films done (including ink and paint on cels) and partially approved to digital animation before going back to hand drawn entirely for his films at the least.
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
There is no way Ponyo was made with traditional hand-painted cels. It would only have black inked outlines and it wouldn't have the transparency effects in the water scenes. Just like the Lion King, this movie was colored digitally.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Dan999, do you even know what digital ink is? I honestly don't think you do. Like you honestly and truly don't know the processes involved. You don't seem the grasp the concept that more or less all anime still rely on animators drawing on physical pieces of paper with physical pencils, and those then get scanned into a computer, where digital ink is then applied and the scenes are composed. The other process involved hand-inking on pieces of transparent cels and then photographing them in layers in a lightbox for transference to film. Digital ink does not refer to people sitting at a computer and drawing it entirely in an art program from scratch, paper and pencils are still involved. You seem bewildered by this concept.

Fully digital would imply no physical component of production, like a CG film or flash. Redline, everyone's beloved seven years hand drawn movie, was still digitally inked. The hype over the animation was kind of dumb, it just meant no vehicles were done with computer graphics.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:41 am Reply with quote
It would be ridiculous for a modern animation studio to abandon its digital facilities and return to using purely analog methods.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2