• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nickelodeon to Co-Produce Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:10 pm Reply with quote
*reads errata* Man, I watched all of those shows on Nick Jr. way back in the day. I miss them, particularly The Noozles...if there was a way to find that series, I would definitely watch it again. Also, I've seen a few episodes of Avatar, and it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It's an ambitious/epic world setting, decent anime-esque drawing (through probably animated in Korea), and American-style pacing and dialogue. You can really tell the difference between it and dubbed anime, in that the characters aren't speaking lines intended for another language. (Not that dubbed anime is bad because of that; I'm not starting a flame war on that subject here.)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:24 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
"ANN Apologises for this error and would like to thank David Perez/irate message board users for their help with this article."

Actually, I'm just reading this thread now.... Anime smallmouth; haven't had time to visit the forum lately. E-mails are the best way to point out errors (or submit news).

Still, I'm glad people commented here so that other's could quickly see the corrections that were posted here.

-t
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh my God! Domo-kun?! Why do I have the strangest feeling this will end really really quickly?
camelot187757

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Oh my God! Domo-kun?! Why do I have the strangest feeling this will end really really quickly?

Ditto.
If they want to venture into anime (again) they have to do better than Hamtaro-like series. Avatar was aheavuly anime based series that was serious. Its also one of the best shows whether anime or live action, that they have. Why not go for something more mature and more serious than "Toot-Toot" all day. I mean at least some Sailor-moon like crap can give them some baby steps before they move on to Witch Hunter Robin like deep stuff. But I guess any anime is good anime in NICK's case.

I'm lying.
wizard55

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
I remember Littl' Bits... Anime cry I wish I knew where I could see that now.

Saban released 3-4 vhs tapes of the series years ago. I luckily came acrossed one and bought it. Noozles, Adventures of the Little Koala, Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics and Adventures of the Little Prince also had a few vhs tapes each released. (Little Prince is now on DVD)

Not many people know this but Nickjr actually reaired some of the "Littl' Bits" episodes as recent as 1997-1998 or around that time. They pre-empted the series "Rupert" to air it and I watched Rupert all the time and thats the only reason I know lol!
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:03 pm Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
PMDR

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Nick also ran several Harmony Gold one-shots. For example dubbed versions of Toei's Puss in Boots and Little Women among others.

Belle And Sebastian was a Nick staple for years in the mid-late 1980's. Later on Nick ran additional Japan-France-Canada coproductions like Spartacus.

The anime shows and other Nick hits like Mr Wizard, You Can't Do That On TV, and Double Dare were scrapped in favor of shows aimed at actually educating kids. Simple entertaining kids was not enough.
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Naturally they wouldn't be aiming at an older audience, but their children's shows vary in quality. A show like Avatar is pretty good, but Ben 10 is a whole 'nother story. Avatar has some good artistic merit, to say the least while Ben 10 could have been scratched together in Flash.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:08 pm Reply with quote
PMDR wrote:
The anime shows and other Nick hits like Mr Wizard, You Can't Do That On TV, and Double Dare were scrapped in favor of shows aimed at actually educating kids. Simple entertaining kids was not enough.

Mr. Wizard wasn't educational? Now that's a new one. One could argue that Double Dare had some educational content as well, granted not on a large scale, but stil...
bleuster

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:04 am Reply with quote
Wasn't David the Gnome an anime, or is that considered a coproduction of France or Germany?
Nick Jr. was an early influence of anime for me. I've always noticed how the characters looked more "serious" or even boring, but I knew it was different.

This new series sounds interesting. Most of the cartoons and shows they prodouce now are hit or miss, but there might be something going for this show if handled properly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:11 am Reply with quote
Nope, not David the Gnome. That show was a Spain-Canada co-production.

As for "Spartikus (sic) and the Sun Beneath the Sea", while that was a dubbed series, it wasn't anime. I believe it was purely a French series (the original French version is called "Les Mondes Ingloutis"; forgive me if I spelled it wrong).

As for you "camelot187757", you should know that [makes fingers like quotation marks] 'real' anime doesn't always have to be serious (You've just made Rumiko Takahashi, and Akira Toriyama really unhappy...). Just because shows like Hamtaro don't match YOUR definition of what anime "should" be doesn't mean that they are bad shows, NOR does it mean that they aren't 'real' anime.

Look, if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all! We don't need that kind of attitude around here.

Got it?!

Now let us talk about this issue in peace!

Oh, and unlike you, I'm NOT lying!
RubberSoul

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:54 am Reply with quote
WOW. Maya the Bee? My mom used to watch when she was little and she's like 39!
hooliganj

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote
wizard55 wrote:
(...)and Adventures of the Little Prince also had a few vhs tapes each released. (Little Prince is now on DVD)

This is the one I remembered when I read the first article - once upon a time Nickelodeon ran the NHK World Stories production of The Little Prince. I watched that religiously when I was 5; it seemed so much more mature than anything else on the air.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote
damn right thats what i mean. anything majorly corporate takes the pureness out of something.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:
damn right thats what i mean. anything majorly corporate takes the pureness out of something.

As a "rule" that's total BS. As a generalisation it is unfortunately often true.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3