• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Settlers of Canaan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see some praise for one of my all-time favorite seiyuu, the remarkable Sakurai Takahiro. I first heard him as the Apothecary in Bakeneko and its sequel Mononoke. I can't imagine anyone else doing justice to that role. His ability to infuse even a single syllable or short phrase with wit and often menace is truly remarkable. In one episode of House of Five Leaves he has only a couple of lines, but at one point he says just the word, "Oh?," and invests it with layers of meaning. That show is a masterpiece of male voice acting with the always excellent Namikawa Daisuke in the other lead role.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I had dismissed CANAAN on the grounds of the tepid reviews that Luke Caroll and Theron Martin gave it, but this column, abetted by the spell that Noir still has me under, has provoked my curiosity about it. Hell, the English version even has Shelly Calene-Black and Hillary Haag. If it proves opportune and I'm still in the mood after watching Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja, I might buy it.

I don't suppose that there's a planned sequel series entitled ISRAEL?

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gerbilx

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
purplepolecat wrote:
Quote:
This show, and When They Cry – Higurashi, are exceptions to the "no show based on a video game can possibly be good" rule.

Hey! Don't forget Gungrave. Very Happy

It made my day to see this. (>")> I strongly feel that Gungrave is one of the most strongly structured shows, first and second half, to be produced. It is a triumph in every way. Outside of the poorly realized fight scenes. >.>

I must also say that I strongly agree with your assessment of Rio. I commend you for your thoughtful take on it.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Re: Canaan

This has been on my To-See list for some time, ever since I missed its original release. Now, am I right in thinking there's some Yuri goodness (something we could use more of in anime, in my opinion--Yaoi and BL get huge play) in this gem?

Either way, I'm on this, and a Dub makes this even more of a must see.

Re: Rio - Rainbow Gate

My biggest peeve with harem anime has always been the milquetoast male lead so -and I've said this all along- a harem anime without said loser is a 100 percent improvement. Indeed, I'd pioneer an entire new genre of all-female harem anime--a total goldmine!
Saturn

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
there's some Yuri goodness (something we could use more of in anime, in my opinion--Yaoi and BL get huge play) in this gem?

I'm not commenting on your taste or anything, lest I be accused of such, but doesn't yuri pop up AT LEAST as often as yaoi? And within a standard series, isn't "les yay" AT LEAST as common as "ho yay"? If not way, way moreso? It just seems more normalized because if it's aimed at guys it's "standard", but if it's aimed at girls it has to be put into its own category.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
The reason that Canaan (my top ten fave anime) is so good is because of plot.

The only flaw that this DVD have is because of the subtitles misplacement during the second half (Sentai Filmworks, you need to pay attention to when the subtitles are supposed to be placed before their release!)
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
purplepolecat wrote:
Hey! Don't forget Gungrave. Very Happy

Never watched it!

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Rio isn't meant to be taken seriously. Otherwise, why have an episode devoted to a ghost obsessed with chicken wings?

The harem database dictates at least one ghost-girl episode, if not an entire ghost harem member. That said, the chicken wing gag was simultaneously hilarious and disturbing. It was more strange-funny than ha-ha-funny, (to quote an old SNL joke).

Surrender Artist wrote:
If it proves opportune and I'm still in the mood after watching Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja, I might buy it.

Canaan is much better than El Cazador, but then, I'm not a fan of Bee Train.

CareyGrant wrote:
This has been on my To-See list for some time, ever since I missed its original release. Now, am I right in thinking there's some Yuri goodness in this gem?

I'm no yuri expert, but there is a ton of yuri in Canaan.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
If it proves opportune and I'm still in the mood after watching Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja, I might buy it.

Canaan is much better than El Cazador, but then, I'm not a fan of Bee Train.

That might be; I plan to watch the shows that I referred to as a sort of silly endurance trial to see if become sick of the genre or Bee Train's 'house style' after that much of it. If I'm not after subjecting myself to so much of both, or only weary of the house style, and cease equivocating over whether I'll ever buy Blu-Ray discs, I might well watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:32 am Reply with quote
While I don't follow the same sort of series as Iku, I gotta say...those are some beautiful shelves! I love seeing the volumes of long running manga series all in a row...though it's annoying how Viz keeps changing the logo for their books, Inuyasha has like three different logos (it's a pet peeve of mine)!

Shelf Life seemed really short this time round. I think I'm used to 3 DVD reviews followed by a streaming review (except that recently we haven't really been getting many streaming reviews). I don't know, it just felt short to me (like awwww, it's over already?!)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:35 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
there's some Yuri goodness (something we could use more of in anime, in my opinion--Yaoi and BL get huge play) in this gem?

I'm not commenting on your taste or anything, lest I be accused of such, but doesn't yuri pop up AT LEAST as often as yaoi?

64 results for yuri/shoujo ai in the encyclopedia.
73 results for yaoi/shounen-ai in the encyclopedia.

So pretty much, but adding in manga makes it 322 for yaoi/shounen-ai to yuri/shoujo-ai's 126 Wink
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:58 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Wo-ho-ho, saying it has a "ton" is overdoing it a bit, dontcha think? Surprised There's definitely some, but it's really not that big of a deal in the series.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:00 am Reply with quote
Well, usually when most people say, "video game anime suck", they're talking about traditional video games, not visual novels. I'm not sure about Canaan, but Higurashi is based off a visual novel, hence why people don't mention it as an exception. Usually people bring up Gungrave and FF Advent Children (and still YMMV on both), and that's about it. If visual novels were being included as well, then the saying wouldn't be used as much, since there's a decent number of solid visual novel adaptations like the Key trilogy.
gothung

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:45 am Reply with quote
ss-hikaru wrote:
While I don't follow the same sort of series as Iku, I gotta say...those are some beautiful shelves! I love seeing the volumes of long running manga series all in a row...though it's annoying how Viz keeps changing the logo for their books, Inuyasha has like three different logos (it's a pet peeve of mine)!

I absolutely agree with this comment. The first time I finished collecting an entire series and had it displayed on my shelf, all in a row, I felt... nice (I dunno... euphoric? pride? a sense of accomplishment? None of those seem to fit how I felt, but it was a positive feeling).

erinfinnegan wrote:

Maybe not yuri so much as girl-on-girl obsession... The only one that had any sort of "love" implications was Liang-Qi for Alphard (and that was more yandere). Otherwise it's more like a "She's my friend!" (Maria) or "She's my eternal rival!" (Alphard) sort of obsession.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote
Nice copy of Domin-8 me you got there, Ikus-san ;D

But yeah, as far as Canaan goes, I adored the series up until that freakin' ENDING. It was incredibly unsatisfying, and it felt like the character dynamics between the two main protagonists had reverted
back to the way they were at the BEGINNING of the series. Maybe this is because of it being a prequel
to a video game, but still... as a standalone series, it was a disappointing conclusion.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
Wo-ho-ho, saying it has a "ton" is overdoing it a bit, dontcha think? Surprised There's definitely some, but it's really not that big of a deal in the series.

I totally agree. Saying there's a ton of yuri is an overstatement, but the series does have a some of shoujo-ai elements. Aside from the fact that Lianq-Xi who has a severe case of sister complex, everything else can be considered as subtext at best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4