• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oh! My Goddess Pre-Order for $29

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
parabellum wrote:
It comes in gate fold box, just like those Hong Kong Pirate copies.

felt little weird seeing the legit DVD coming in this type of Packaging.

the Video quality seems to be better (or is it just my imagination?) the shakiness seems to be gone.
How unusual to see legit DVD quality to be better than HK bootlegs. So uncommon, and I bet that AnimEigo copied their packaging as well too. Is there no respect among theves? Rolling Eyes
Where's the gaoler when we need 'im then?

Yeah, how dare people make observations! They must aspire to be master of DVD details like yourself! Any less is foolishness!

Seriously, he's saying it's unusual for legit companies to use gatefold. This is inaccurate but still, it's a simple observation. Stop shoving fan-dick into it.
Are you having a bad day then? Describe "fan-dick" please?
I simply observed, by the way he has written this, that he seems surprised that a legit product is better in quality to his originally purchased HK bootleg, which implies he has not experienced that many legit products to have known that 99.9% of bootleg crap is just that compared to the professionally licensed product. And why wouldn't AnimEigo use gatefold if they so choose? Parabellum seems to have missed the concept that the bootleggers have worked hard at making their rip-off copy to look like the legit one so foolish people will not know the difference, which sadly appears to have been successful in this case. Are you saying I should not observe these things? That I have no right to reply thusly? Surely not? Wink
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Are you having a bad day then? Describe "fan-dick" please?

1. No, the post you made was just slightly annoying.
2. fan-dick = "I am the holiest fan! I shall preserve blahblahblah"

Quote:
I simply observed, by the way he has written this, that he seems surprised that a legit product is better in quality to his originally purchased HK bootleg, which implies he has not experienced that many legit products to have known that 99.9% of bootleg crap is just that compared to the professionally licensed product. And why wouldn't AnimEigo use gatefold if they so choose? Parabellum seems to have missed the concept that the bootleggers have worked hard at making their rip-off copy to look like the legit one so foolish people will not know the difference, which sadly appears to have been successful in this case. Are you saying I should not observe these things? That I have no right to reply thusly? Surely not? Wink

Notice he put his message on three lines, possibly indicating that they were refering to other things. Sure, he addressed the packaging being the same type as HK Bootlegs, because maybe he hasn't seen much legitimate anime being released in that style. The video quality reference more than likely was in regard to the older release. You're over-analysing someone making a reference to HK bootlegs, as you always do!
parabellum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:44 am Reply with quote
when I say video quality is better, I mean better than older AnimEigo AMG DVD's not Hong Kong AMG DVD which I have never seen.

I use to have older AnimEigo AMG DVD, which has now been traded and in AnimEigo's hand. What they do with these DVD's are beyond me.

and I have many legit r1 anime DVD's and Netflix account, so know plenty well how the quality of legit copies are.
surprizingly many of them have errors while playing, and not due to physical damage to the disc.
I know how and where to download animes recently aired in Japan therefore no reason to buy HongKong copies.

and no, I have never seen legit anime DVD packaged in gatefold box, I've seen legit DVD's in double DVD cases and thin packs, but not in gatefold.
maybe I just missed them while browing through BestBuy's and Fry's electronics collection.
Area88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:08 am Reply with quote
Here is a screencap comparison:

http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=belorigvscecompare5zb.png

It clearly shows the improvement.
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:05 am Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
Here is a screencap comparison:

http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=belorigvscecompare5zb.png

It clearly shows the improvement.

Dang it. That does make a difference. Argh. I'll talk to the hubby tonight and see if we want to spend even more on the series to do the trade-in. Let's see, $150 for subtitled VHS, $30 for original DVDs, $15 for upgrade to new DVD set...For a 5-episode OAV, Oh! My Goddess sure costing me a fortune. ^_- Curse my love of slightly older anime series (and Hisakawa Aya)!

That almost sounded like the start of one of those Mastercard commercials.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:29 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Let's see, $150 for subtitled VHS, $30 for original DVDs, $15 for upgrade to new DVD set...For a 5-episode OAV, Oh! My Goddess sure costing me a fortune. ^_- Curse my love of slightly older anime series (and Hisakawa Aya)!

That almost sounded like the start of one of those Mastercard commercials.

Well to be honest, it's not like it was $180+ over a period of say, a year, or several months. The original DVDs came out some time ago, and the VHS even longer. THese sorts of things decrease in value after a while, it happens.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
You're over-analysing someone making a reference to HK bootlegs, as you always do!
I must say I am intregued that you have followed my posting here with such intensity to be such an authority of my posting style and attitude. I do hope I am a worthy study. I try not to be annoying but will fail sometimes as some might be suffering from hormonal imbalances caused by age related syndromes through no fault of their own but by natural progression, as you will have observed. I apologise if this has happened again. Apologies too to parabellum for misunderstanding you.

Back on topic now and looking at those two images I must say I perfer the one on the right as the other looks too harsh and OTT to me.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I must say I am intregued that you have followed my posting here with such intensity to be such an authority of my posting style and attitude.

Don't flatter yourself, I mean, you and I have been here some time, so it's not like you or I haven't picked up traits about each other and others.
Area88

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:54 am Reply with quote
The one on the right is indeed the remastered versiom.

Animeigo did a great job in the porting the remastered R2 video to dvd. The transfer is crystal clear and i didn't see a single artifact or scratch to the print.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2