• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Takeout Expands Menu

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treeloot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:45 am Reply with quote
It's a good idea for a service, but $25 a month is pretty steep.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:59 am Reply with quote
Well if you read at a fifth grade level, and keep up with the turn around every month it will save you some big money. Me I won't be using it as I like to own things like that.

Damn it! my grandpa was a packrat too!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jtnishi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote
Treeloot wrote:
It's a good idea for a service, but $25 a month is pretty steep.

It seems steep, but reading the terms on the site, that actually is a dual subscription, allowing you to rent either manga or anime on that price. The exact terms seem confusing. How I read it is that the normal DVD plan is something like $17/month. So basically you pay an extra $8/month to have the option to check out 2 manga instead of 2 dvds when you want. In that case, it seems at least a little more palatable, though I'm still with you, a bit more than I'm willing to pay for the service. Though I might still need to check it out, given that since it looks like it's based in Pasadena, that would suggest that my DVDs or books would have maybe a 1 day turnaround time.
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I've always wanted to rent manga Anime smile *goes for it*
StealthLink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:40 am Reply with quote
renting manga sounds kinda stupid to me I mean why rent when I can go to my local library which has a small but good chunk of my favorite series and check them out for free
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Because your library is a lousy one in the middle of a veritable hicksville where no one reads, like mine?
Ein, the wonder pup

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I could rent manga over the internet.
If I want to read the book and not buy, I'll go
down to the local Borders.
teferi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:41 pm Reply with quote
O_o

so for the price of one volume you get to read two you have to return...

Seems like a way to preview manga.

Like Ein, the wonder pup ( ._." )said it's the same difference as going to Borders or the like.

For DVDs it's reasonable, but paying that much to read soemthing is a bit odd. Especially seeing how little time it takes to read a volume. Unless they up the amount of volumes (heck just add something like having to pay a deposit) you can get, it's not much of an alternative to just buying the manga.
scatteredshadows

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
As much as I would like to support a fledgling anime based company, I don't really see what's compelling about the anime side of this service.

For manga, it actually makes some sense. There are a lot of series which seem interesting but I hesitate to invest $15 in them only to be disappointed. This service lets someone like me preview a volume or two of lots of titles and then purchase the ones I really like. I do prefer to own media myself, but I only want to own works that I love. This is especially so because one major reason I buy something is to evangelize to friends by loaning them samples of stuff I like. Fortunately, the Manga Takeout site claims subscribers have the option to buy 'at a reduced price'.

On the anime side though, I'm not sure I see why someone would pay for a separate service with, I assume, one distribution center, when they can rent anime through NetFlix or Blockbuster which have centers nationwide, resulting in faster turnarounds. $17 is only $5 less than I pay for my 4 out at a time NetFlix account. Does Anime Takeout carry titles that NetFlix doesn't? I know when I started with them, NetFlix didn't carry a lot of the anime I wanted to see, but now they seem to get almost everything.
Hinatakicksbutt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:56 am Reply with quote
I think its a great way to preview manga and read manga that you would not buy. For me it would be nice to rent those long series like Rurouni Kenshin ( 28 volumes ) or Basara ( 18 volumes? ) that I can't afford to buy even if I wanted to buy.

I think the price is more expensive than DVD only because of shipping cost. When they launched they sent out an email to all their subscribers saying that the price difference was due to the the increase cost of shipping books versus DVDs. If I can rent 6-8 books a month, thats worth the 24.99 + its convenient. Smile I'm one of those lazy people that don't want to head over to blockbuster to rent a DVD.

Yeah, I noticed that Netflix is carrying more anime these days. Blockbuster online doesnt seem to carry a good selection last time I looked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1