• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Website Hacked

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HighAsura

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
The Ayyildiz group (one A, two Ys) is Turkish, not Persian.

They hack pages to put up a propaganda message claiming that the Armenian genocide never happened, and that Kurds are the biggest terrorists on the planet.

It's realpolitik all right. The only people who can understand the intention of "Ayyidiz syndicate" are the people who understand history of Ottoman Empire 101. Confused

Hmm... Interesting.

What a nice way to promote their belief. Anime dazed
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
HighAsura wrote:
It's realpolitik all right. The only people who can understand the intention of "Ayyidiz syndicate" are the people who understand history of Ottoman Empire 101.

Half of one of my history class was about the Ottoman Empire, that is one region of the world that has had so many political changes it's amazing. (Not in the good way)
But on to ADV, I am so glad that I didn't have any purchase on that site, I would be worried about orders being lost. Anyone here waiting on an order from them?
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:52 pm Reply with quote
ADV's site won't load right now, but here's a link with a record of the attack showing exactly what happened (audio included).

http://www.zone-h.org/defacements/mirror/id=3766600/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I also did a search for that group and discovered countless other websites that have been attacked. Apparently they're attacking websites at random.

I'm concerned because I own and operate one of the biggest Ah! My Goddess anime & manga websites online and claim one of the largest AMG communities available online.

I've began backing up my website on a regular basis as well as backing up the databases on a daily basis. One can never be too unsure of what to expect these days and I'm sure that as big as ANN is that their staff should be mindful that their site could become a victim as well.

With the attack on ADV Films, it looks like they're attacking large, company sponsored websites. ADV Films is a recognizable website and boasts mdoerately sized traffic. Anime News Network should be concerned that since they are also a highly trafficked website that this could happen to them as well.

I discovered the problem early this morning and reported it to ANN. I'm surprised that they don't offer credit to those reporting it.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote
They're just attacking random sites they find with a known, exploitable hole.

Mostly Windows systems.

ANN has been hacked twice in the past, both times related to security holes in phpbb.

One was painless, the other was quite painful.

We back all our data up on another server every night.

-t
biliano

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
With the attack on ADV Films, it looks like they're attacking large, company sponsored websites. ADV Films is a recognizable website and boasts mdoerately sized traffic. Anime News Network should be concerned that since they are also a highly trafficked website that this could happen to them as well.

I'm pretty sure that ANN is aware of this. They don't want a repeat of what happened in December 2004 when ANN was hacked. (Does anyone remember the red-texted "This site is defaced" message on a black background? Very scary.) When the attack happened, I was so concerned about ANN that I actually e-mailed Claude Pellier of Protoculture Addicts to see what the problem was, and he told me that ANN was a victim of a hacker attack. If memory serves me correctly, everything was cleared up in a day's time, and ANN was running normally (outside of random server issues that in one extreme case corrupted my old account).
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Maybe one of the cyberterrorists was angered by the lack of continuation of Noodle Fighter Miki?

Maybe this is not just attempt to return to the glory days of the Ottoman Empire, but also an attempt to get ADV to update their manga website. I'm sure there are millions of jihadists dying to know how Vaizard ends, or when the next volume of The Ruler of the Land is coming out. And how come nobody ever tries to restore the Roman Empire? And who cries for the Sumerians??!!!

Or could this be a move by Basque rebels to get the Fuccons removed from the stores or from plastering dubbed episodes in every issue of Newtype?

As of today, congressional commissions should also be formed as to why Chrono Crusade Volume 7 takes almost a year to be put out.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
But on to ADV, I am so glad that I didn't have any purchase on that site, I would be worried about orders being lost. Anyone here waiting on an order from them?
I wouldn't worry about orders being lost. As soon as you click the button to pay for it, it is transferred to other computers and recorded multiple times. This is assuming ADV does business the normal safe way as it should. The order should be fine because of a triple redundancy, however they may be late till they get up and focus back on business.

Card Numbers are an entirely different subject. Now companys keep these numbers in the safest part of the system. And they usually try to seperate from the internet as well, if they are connected, there is only one way in. I would say these would be safe too, however the problem with card numbers is just that, thier numbers. All you need is to copy and paste em.

It seems they are a political group so all they want is to put the message out, however even political revolutionaries need money. I would say if you are currently or ever have purchased an idem from ADV I would check that card every couple of days(its free, your money isn't), at least until ADV gives a statement that the POS(point of sale) shopping system and card numbers were not penetrated in the attack.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jaybug39

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Another thought, good thing Turkey is a member of NATO, and thus one of our closest allies! Imagine what would happen if an enemy hacked in.

By the by, was the attack subbed or dubbed? Wink I prefer my hacks to be subbed!

Somehow I don't think George Orwell ever imagined Big Brother having to worry about hack attacks.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I tried going to adv also and it wouldn't come up. That would be a big time blow if ANN got hacked. Then we wouldn't be able to even talk.
jscotty

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote
So im still curious to know why Adv? i mean yes obviously they had a huge hole in their website to be able to have their whole site shut down....But i'm positive there are LOTS of other sites who have the same if not worse protection. I guess i'm just a little angry the one day I decide to buy a dvd online from them the site is down Sad
Storm Princess

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to the acronym finder, They could have been attacking sites at random or it just could have been a case of mistaken idenity. For it also means 'Air Defense Variant'....or it could just be a copy cat group of hackers....who knows....
crilix

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
They're just attacking random sites
Can you please say "thank you" to yourself or the moderator who deleted the second post in this topic? It was mine and it stated the exact same thing which is being quoted right now. Not sure why I deserved that post deletion.
In any case, if ADVFilms.com has competent website administrators, they'll be able to put the site back the way it originally was. If that's the case, there is no real reason to panic.
HMS Thunder Child

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, whoever the members of the AYYILDIZ TEAM are, they should read the history of the Otoman Empire again and again. People can still not agree about weither it was the Armenian Genocide, or an "evacuation" ( because the Otomans where afraid the Armenians where going to support the Russian army ) that went horribly wrong.
We will never know the truth about what really happend and who really issued the order to kill the Armenians and who really executed the order. Documents that could have provided the truth where burned. And perhaps that's for the best, because there are people who cannot handle a truth which probably is not entirely true, let alone the whole truth. There always will be someone who'll say:" It's all a big lie."

And about the Kurds, that conflict won't be solved for a long time, not as long as the PKK and the Turkish goverment use violence.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:06 pm Reply with quote
If I can say, only the front page of ADV Films site along with all of their sister sites were hacked in this matter. Apparently this had something to do with their "index" files. All of their sub-pages were still intact. Their store catalog, press releases and everything else were still there. They just defaced the main homepage of each of their sister sites as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5