• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Website Hacked

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:18 am Reply with quote
Quick update: I just visited ADV's website and currently they are displaying their company logo with the message "We're making revisions - please check back", so you can access the site but at this time cannot advance any futher. So hopefully everything will be running normally within the next 24-48 hours.

And it's too bad that Nagi erased apple pro's post. Her insane campaign to bring ADV down is always good for a fun read. Laughing (But then again, if you've been reading apple pro's posts lately, it was most likely a wise decision for Nagi to erase the post. Cool )
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:46 am Reply with quote
I got mine censored as well because I was sick and tired of hearing apple pro rant and raveabout her stupid campaign to bring down ADV... And I never even knew that apple pro was a she...
apple pro

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:04 am Reply with quote
I hope in the future they update their website more so that fans can get the latest news from them.
WickedJester

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
How sad is this? The one day that I decide to return to ADVFilms.com and buy something, this happens!!! Well, the issue at hand simiply means that due to the evil that is politics people can't come with a clear answer on 1)What is Genocide? and 2)Did it really happen? I don't know much about it and therefore will not comment on the act that happened.
On to ADV:
I like their website, I buy mostly anime rather than manga. So, to me, whoever's angry at them should simply send them an email and ask for them to update their site more often. If any company needs to be brought down is Viz due to the fact that they change so much in the anime series that they have. Seriously, it is annoying and I hate how they change the names and titles, not only that but they never really have sales which makes it more difficult to buy their DVDs. Peace. Ciao...
midnightdothack

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Genocide is a term that means a complete anniliation of a certain race, group, culture, etc. Well at least according to my history book...O_o;;;

It sucks that Adv got hacked. Back in January, a website in our state also got hacked by the same group.
3dmk

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
These attacks are so common. Its actually very scary. The person responsible for the server the site is located on obviously didn't pay too much attention to the security of his machine.

My webservers are attacked daily by people in southeast asia. Always trying to find an open user account with a weak password. The scary thing is, it doesnt take much at all to accomplish that task either.

Run a basic script against a range of ip addresses in a datacenter. Find a linux machine, try to ssh using a list of usernames. Find one that it likes, save the info. Access the server with the given name, see what rights you have. Eventually, you will find someone with an open root acount, and your in business.

One item that I haven't seen addressed here, but worries me, are the shopping cart elements of the site. How compromised were they? How will this affect orders that were recently placed? If someone has access to the source, they have access to usernames and passwords to the database. The database has CC info.

My brother and I have a couple orders with them at the moment. I wonder how they will address that element. Management is going to have their hands full...
Yoda117

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
With the attack on ADV Films, it looks like they're attacking large, company sponsored websites. ADV Films is a recognizable website and boasts mdoerately sized traffic. Anime News Network should be concerned that since they are also a highly trafficked website that this could happen to them as well.

Meh, this is more a case of a google hack than anything else. They looked for sites that happened to have a particular exploit, found it and took advantage of it.

That the ADV site has been down for so long tells me that they did not take their web security as seriously as they should (the actual type of defacement looks like a well known script attack, and one that is easily protected against). What concerns me is that a script kiddie attack worked against a company that is also doing CC transactions.

This is something I've mentioned about ADV in the past. Good security does not seem to be a part of their overall web-based architecture. Now, the question they need to ask is whether the $ saved on proper web security (which was pointed out to them in the past), is worth the revenue lost by 2 days of downtime and future lost sales now that the rest of the anime community knows about the problem.

Sorry, but stuff like this makes me shake my head.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:25 pm Reply with quote
WickedJester wrote:
How sad is this? The one day that I decide to return to ADVFilms.com and buy something, this happens!!! Well, the issue at hand simiply means that due to the evil that is politics people can't come with a clear answer on 1)What is Genocide? and 2)Did it really happen? I don't know much about it and therefore will not comment on the act that happened.
On to ADV:
I like their website, I buy mostly anime rather than manga. So, to me, whoever's angry at them should simply send them an email and ask for them to update their site more often. If any company needs to be brought down is Viz due to the fact that they change so much in the anime series that they have. Seriously, it is annoying and I hate how they change the names and titles, not only that but they never really have sales which makes it more difficult to buy their DVDs. Peace. Ciao...

IMO, 4Kids is ALOT worse. Just look at what they did to shows like Card Captor Sakura. Changed names of most of the main chars, switched and merged eps, etc. To me they are the ones that need to be brought down, not VIZ.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:
IMO, 4Kids is ALOT worse. Just look at what they did to shows like Card Captor Sakura.

4Kids didn't do anything to CCS. Razz
mightymosping

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:56 pm Reply with quote
bring back the good old day of static website!!!

down with hackers... w00t w00t...

got my site hacked and i left it like tt for them to show off to their friends... hehe... i think it's some turkish hackers but not this one... and hacking into phpBB's security hole...

they've got nothing better to do... actually what do they gain? they get money? "hey guys check it out i like hack this website... am i like uber cool or something? hurk hurk hurk *adjust specs*"

don't they like take some course in like... erm... Ethical Hacker? yeah there is such existing certification in my country...

wonder if they do read these threads? oh no... am i angering them? oh no... HELP... * runs around *
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:
WickedJester wrote:
On to ADV:

IMO, 4Kids is ALOT worse. Just look at what they did to shows like Card Captor Sakura. Changed names of most of the main chars, switched and merged eps, etc. To me they are the ones that need to be brought down, not VIZ.

Card Captors was done by Nelvana, not 4K!ds. It's usually wise to make sure you post correct information nbefore commenting on how this group is no worse than other companies, and I must disagree with you. While it's true that 4K!ds edits the wazoo out of the animes they aquire, they do so legally. Hacking is a completly unlawful event, and I personally hope this group gets caught and shut down rather than damaging good groups.
-Hentai-

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:21 pm Reply with quote
The websites are back up now. I know that most of you have been reloading the page every second since it has been down, but I thought I'd state the obvious.

Shwoooo.
ChaosAxess

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Hah, that song is pretty cool.
Kaym

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"We liked the Turkish terrorist music."

.... HAHA ..Yeah..
Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it happens. Sucks for them. I gotta say their symbol is really cool looking. I can see myself getting that as a tattoo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5