• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Cringe-Worthy Villain Deaths

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I don't think anyone can deny Light is one of the best villains of recent times, the problem is when people start calling him "hero" and "savior" and I don't know what's wrong with the world

I agree completely, he was a fantastic villain but I didn't like his character in the way of his motives and thought process, I personally feel he got off lightly with his death.

I'm glad Ballardbird Lee's death made the list... I really want to watch Gungrave now Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I've always found the view to Makoto's death head scratching and rather distrubing. How can you root for someone being murdered rather brutally for essentially being a play boy. You must be one sick FxxK to approve that let alone take glee in it, like the list compiler and many others do.

I realize its fiction, but sometimes I am left scratching my head and wondering what people really think of, when pretty violent and despicable people like Kuromi from Date A live are adored and loved; and someone like Makoto who does something pretty common even in real life, and ultimately something that is not a crime let alone a big deal in the society we live in, is cheered when he brutally murdered, and then his killer makes off with his decapitated head.

Thankfully most people can discern reality from fantasy, and ultimately have the self control not to act on their desires, but such viewpoints ultimately make me wonder what some people think on at least a subconscious level.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Voted for Yamato, because most of the other films I've seen just weren't that good.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I always thought that Gendo's death in End of Evangelion was very gruesome. Getting your head bitten off isn't the best way to go unfortunately...
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
To think of Light Yagami as a villain is to miss the point of Death Note, to skip over what made it great. That being the "moral ambiguity", the lack of a definitive "good guy" and "bad guy".

Similar to Sherlock Holmes (which, in many ways, Death Note is) the protagonist and antagonist are the same. L and Light were no different. The anime (where they are put side-by-side stating "I am JUSTICE!", and the manga where "justice" becomes "RIGHTEOUSNESS") was supposed to ram this idea home.

BTW, at the end of the anime, the group that brings Light Yagami to his doom were classified by the world as terrorists, terrorists condemned by the rest of the world.
Quote:
The real surprise comes when the the book's original owner decides to do him by writing Light's name in the Death Note.
...not the phrasing I would have used; I think an "in" should have been appended to that phrase.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
To think of Light Yagami as a villain is to miss the point of Death Note, to skip over what made it great. That being the "moral ambiguity", the lack of a definitive "good guy" and "bad guy".

Similar to Sherlock Holmes (which, in many ways, Death Note is) the protagonist and antagonist are the same. L and Light were no different. The anime (where they are put side-by-side stating "I am JUSTICE!", and the manga where "justice" becomes "RIGHTEOUSNESS") was supposed to ram this idea home.

As is always inevitable when Death Note comes up on a message board, I think we disagree here. The protagonist and antagonist aren't the same. The protagonist is simply the person the story follows, and the antagonist is the person that opposes the protagonist. It's independent of hero and villain, though often the two are the same since most stories have the hero as the protagonist. Light was a villain, and the protagonist; L was in turn the hero and antagonist.

It's probably a stretch to compare, but Vaan from Final Fantasy XII is the protagonist, but he's not the main character. That honor would go to either Ashe or Basch. Protagonist is simply the viewpoint character.

But then, I'm firmly in the L party, so I don't see the moral ambiguity. Light was corrupted pretty quickly by the Death Note, but he definitely became a villain in the act of his corruption. It was just muddled, in a fun way, by making the villain the point of view character, with our protagonist bias making it easy to root for him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:33 pm Reply with quote
While #2 certainly was a nasty death, I'm wondering whether the movie's main antagonist got it worse. (Though it's not confirmed.)

But let's look at some facts the movie brings up:

- Himuro Genma is basically spoiler[immortal. He gets sliced in two at some point, and his two halves basically fuse together again and he... wakes up, for lack of a better description.]
- At the end of the movie, he spoiler[is encased in liquid gold, that then sinks to the bottom of the ocean/lake.]

Wouldn't it then be logical to assume that he'll spoiler[constantly choke to death from asphyxiation, only to revive again and again and again, and he's unable to ever do something about it? He's even pretty young, so how much mercy would it be if he would still grow old and at least be able to die permanently from old age or something?]

I think even the death in #2 would be preferable to that.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I've always found the view to Makoto's death head scratching and rather distrubing. How can you root for someone being murdered rather brutally for essentially being a play boy. You must be one sick FxxK to approve that let alone take glee in it, like the list compiler and many others do.

I think we can bring up valid points about moral ambiguity without calling myself or anyone else in the comment section a "sick fxxx."

As for Makoto as a character, I think there are a number of things that he does that classify him as a villain of the story. Based on the tone of the series, his behaviors are never presented in a "Go, Makoto!" kind of way. The audience is supposed hate him.

Examples of his rather awful behavior:

1. spoiler[ Completely abandons his girlfriend when he starts cheating on her with Sekai ].
2. spoiler[ Claims to be dedicated to Sekai but begins sleeping with numerous other classmates, including her best friend ]
3. spoiler[ Continually refuses to commit instead of communicating that he doesn't want anything serious. ]
4. spoiler[ When Sekai becomes pregnant, he begins avoiding her saying she ruined his life. ]
5. spoiler[ Abandons Sekai when she's pregnant and tells her she needs to get an abortion. ]

The character is written purposefully not to receive the sympathy of the audience. He did a bit more than the average playboy by far and is shown to be completely devoid of empathy for those he interacts with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
paperfanofdoom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I thought Mikami's anime death would've been the more cringe-inducing way to go than Light's with the guy killing himself with a pen.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I fully support school days being number 1

I sell the visual novel of school days at my booth at conventions and the running gag always becomes
http://youtu.be/IiKx3JbJwt0?t=1m13s

Because I would pay for a copy of an AMV of school days set to that.

School days is a Visual Novel that I swear that people play for the bad endings.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
In Fate/Stay Night UBW movie, wasn't Illya the villain who got the violent, gruesome, gory death while Beserker was simply the brute who followed her?

Wait, no, in the movie she wasn't accurately portrayed as a villain or not as much as the TV series. One of the reasons I stay away from this franchise, the whole "villain/hero" status depends on which day of the week it is. But the Servants are merely ... servants {I so hate this franchise, another reason} except for the ones who outright rebel so most of them are only as evil as they are commanded.

Wait, all of them rebel except for Berserker {and possibly Saber but forget her because of the "good" working with "good" thing. In a competition of greedy desires and world domination...}. Which ironically makes him the good, honorable guy out of a cast of traitors, murderers and thieves {and boring Saber...} or completely stoned out of his mind {it's the latter one, isn't it?}.

Quote:
In the laws of fiction, the deaths grow more gruesome depending on the heinousness of the villain's actions.

You know, this sentence makes me wonder why the whole cast of Shiki isn't number one. Or at least the villains who died.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Obviously the anime never made it that far, but if you include manga, well, I just read volume 26 of Blade of the Immortal, and (huge spoiler) spoiler[Shira being eaten alive by dogs] was one of the most horrifying yet beautifully ironic ends for a villain that I've ever read. I've never hated a character more, and never felt more (guiltily) satisfied about how they got offed.

And add me to the list of people who felt the anime of Death Note portrayed Light's end as too noble.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how dying of a heart attack is any more "cringe worthy" than, say...

- Crushed by a giant robot dog foot at an amusement park (Cowboy Bebop)

- Impaled on the tip of a mobile suit's Waverider mode (Zeta Gundam)

- Gruesomely exploded from the inside out, or boiled alive and drunk, or incinerated over and over again, or viciously devoured (Fullmetal Alchemist)

- Crushed/drowned by four huge waves rushing at you (Now and Then, Here and There)

- Crushed between two clock hands (Castle of Cagliostro)

- Crushed to death by cords and wires (Big O S2)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

I think we can bring up valid points about moral ambiguity without calling myself or anyone else in the comment section a "sick fxxx."

As for Makoto as a character, I think there are a number of things that he does that classify him as a villain of the story. Based on the tone of the series, his behaviors are never presented in a "Go, Makoto!" kind of way. The audience is supposed hate him.

1. spoiler[ Completely abandons his girlfriend when he starts cheating on her with Sekai ].
2. spoiler[ Claims to be dedicated to Sekai but begins sleeping with numerous other classmates, including her best friend ]
3. spoiler[ Continually refuses to commit instead of communicating that he doesn't want anything serious. ]
4. spoiler[ When Sekai becomes pregnant, he begins avoiding her saying she ruined his life. ]
5. spoiler[ Abandons Sekai when she's pregnant and tells her she needs to get an abortion. ]

The character is written purposefully not to receive the sympathy of the audience. He did a bit more than the average playboy by far and is shown to be completely devoid of empathy for those he interacts with.

Sounds like young people I knew. Young people make mistakes. Given the chance to learn and correct them such is life, need to be helped not derision.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:55 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

Sounds like young people I knew. Young people make mistakes. Given the chance to learn and correct them such is life, need to be helped not derision.

did you read the spoilers that is quite a bit more then a mistake. someone makes when they are young, that is sexual predator you will end up in jail for sure later on in life behavior.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3