• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tenchi Muyo Dates

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
establish_1980

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Well its about darn time.
mtp_2002

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote
It took them long enough, it will have only taken them over a year to release the second volume after the first.

I guess they decided to get off their collective A$$'s and go back to work.
Examinee 623

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the delay stems from the release of the extra episode, which was made slightly after volume one's release date stateside. At least we're getting it with the other episodes instead of a seperate release!
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote
It hasn't really been a year since volume 1 has it?
mtp_2002

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
It will have been a year when they do release Volume 2 at least.
its 4 months off.
Mid-Boss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Strange that this is in the news now. I posted it in a regular thread back in January.

Also...

One of the biggest questions I've been getting since the street date announcement for Tenchi volume 2 & 3 is why is it so late? I can't take that long to dub the episodes? Here is what happened in a nutshell:

The OVA3 contract was split in two parts, episodes 4-7 being in the second contract. The signing of the second contract was delayed for a good long time due to many different internal changes that we have been going through this past year. After that there were some more studio talks and working to get the original voice cast together for these next volumes.

After all the smoke cleared (a few weeks back) we had all our ducks in a row and are pushing forward. Thank you again to all the loyal Tenchi fans for your understanding and patience.

-Adam S.
Tenchi Brand Manager
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't there also a moratorium period imposed to prevent reverse importation, considering that the OVA episodes cost 5,040 Yen (a little over $41 U.S.) each?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Mid-Boss wrote:
Strange that this is in the news now. I posted it in a regular thread back in January.

Yeah, I had Adam's remarks posted on my website immediately after I saw them back in mid-January. Anime smile;

Tenchi wrote:
Wasn't there also a moratorium period imposed to prevent reverse importation, considering that the OVA episodes cost 5,040 Yen (a little over $41 U.S.) each?

I haven't heard that specifically, but I'd been wondering if something like that were in place.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
A question about OVA 3 did come up at the panel at Katsucon and I do believe Lance Heiskell mentioned the fear of reverse importation.

Of course, I'm not a very dependable resource for memory. Confused
Crawly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Examinee 623 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the delay stems from the release of the extra episode, which was made slightly after volume one's release date stateside. At least we're getting it with the other episodes instead of a seperate release!

Depends on your point of view. Episode 7 will be on it's own disc with an SRP of $29.99. Seems kind of like it's getting it's own release separate from the rest of the series after all.

I passed on the release anyway. Seven episodes spread across 3, $30 discs doesn't work for me. I'm waiting for a collection.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:01 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting for 10 years, what's a few more months. Now if we can get the "true novels" translated this franchise would be complete.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little confused about some things for the Tenchi Muyo OVA:

-Airi, the wife of Tenchi's Grandfather (on his mother's side), is she Tenchi's biological grandmother, or is she a step-grandmother by marriage? If so, what happened to Tenchi's biological grandmother, on his mother's side? And if not, kind of nasty that she's so sexually attracted to him.

-Tennyo is Tenchi's sister. So that means she's Kiyone's daughter. But who is Kiyone's father? Surely its not Nobuyuki? And...Tennyo's love for Tenchi seems more than just that of a sibling, ick, what is it with this creators' attraction to incest?

-What the hell happened in episode 6? I still can't figure it out. spoiler[It was like the end of Evangelion on crack.]
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:26 pm Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
I'm a little confused about some things for the Tenchi Muyo OVA:

-Airi, the wife of Tenchi's Grandfather (on his mother's side), is she Tenchi's biological grandmother,

Yes.

Quote:
-Tennyo is Tenchi's sister. So that means she's Kiyone's daughter. But who is Kiyone's father? Surely its not Nobuyuki?

Why not? Nobody looks their age in the show. Very Happy
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
Yes.

Are you sure? Because the OVA made it seem like it was a rather recent event. So this means that Airi and Tenchi's grandfather are the parents of Kiyone? And so...Airi wants to shack up with her own grandson?

And what happened to Kiyone anyway?

Quote:

I dunno, it was never made clear that Nobuyuki was Tennyo's father. Plus...he tried to make out with her knowing she was Tennyo.

Plus...isn't Nobuyuki an earthling? Or is he an alien as well?
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:45 pm Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
Nobuyuki wrote:
Yes.

Are you sure? Because the OVA made it seem like it was a rather recent event. So this means that Airi and Tenchi's grandfather are the parents of Kiyone?

Well, it was only 500 years ago that they got back together and produced their 2nd daughter, Kiyone. Wink
Quote:
And what happened to Kiyone anyway?

She died.

Quote:

I dunno, it was never made clear that Nobuyuki was Tennyo's father.[/quote]
Well, it's never explicitly stated, but "simple is best".
Quote:
Plus...isn't Nobuyuki an earthling? Or is he an alien as well?

Well, he's also one of Yosho's descendants, and Yosho makes sure all his kids get a chance to go into space if they want.
And life-extension/body strengthening treatments are ordinary occurences for those galactic citizens who want them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2