• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Files to Prevent Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Licensing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryasha

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Quote:
Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, the fourth television anime in the franchise

Shouldn't that be 5th? Yu-Gi-Oh!, Duel Monsters, GX, 5Ds, and Zexal? Or is the original not part of the "franchise"?

I believe it's counted separately, along with that one Red Eyes movie, since they were done by Toei and not Studio Gallop.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow, 4Kids just does not want to give up! The Yu-Gi-Oh series seems to be the only thing that's keeping them alive atm.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Um I mis-read the title as Yu-Gi-Oh! Sexual and thought someone was trying to licence an unofficial hentai a.l.a Sailor and the 7 Balls an 4Kids were trying to stop it. Embarassed

Anyway, now that 4Kids is close to dead does anyone know what's happening to their voice actors anyway? If YGO! Zexal does get licensed by another company I would assume this would mean a cast change. That being said I dunno if any of the original characters are in it anyway so it may be a moot point.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:

Well think about it this way, what if VIZ Media had gotten Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood instead of FUNimation Entertainment. It would be odd since FUNi had the old series, so it's established they should get stuff related to the franchise.

Well, it's not like that's never happened before. An example that springs to mind is Hell Girl. The first season was released by FUNimation, the second and third were released by Section 23. I'm not privy to the dealings that went on, so I don't know if FUNimation was offered more Hell Girl and just passed on it, or if Section 23 swooped in and offered more than FUNi did.

Of course, if the contract that 4kids is in dispute with did stipulate that they had full rights to all current and future Yu-Gi-Oh series, then that's a whole other matter entirely. Either way, after years of them gaining the reputation that they have, it's easy to paint 4kids as the bad guys and assume they're in the wrong. We'll have to wait until they have their day in court to find out the facts though.
Siliva

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
The voices actors that 4Kids uses are mainly freelance actors, so they'll just have to find work some where else. I know that quite a few of them do a good bit of work with TPCI.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Jlaking is right. In this case 4Kids is not in the wrong. If their contract (which is yet to become void) says they have control over the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise in this market the Japanese companies shouldn't be attempting to sell the show to someone else.

Though, this will burn any bridge with the Japanese they potentially could've restored. Granted, I don't think 4Kids wanted to make a bridge, but rather ensure they have the franchise for the x amount of years left in their contract.
machetecat

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Dear 4Kids: Get over it.

Ya know, even if this does turn out to be a very wierd case where the Japanese companies are playing dirty to get rid of 4Kid's hold on the Yu-Gi-Oh franchise so they could maybe sell it off to someone else and make more money, and then milk 4Kids for what little money they do have left as a lawsuit, I can only think that this is a result of karma....

However, to the people who might lose their jobs from 4Kids who had nothing to do with any of this fiasco, I am very sorry.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
Dear 4Kids: Get over it.

Ya know, even if this does turn out to be a very wierd case where the Japanese companies are playing dirty to get rid of 4Kid's hold on the Yu-Gi-Oh franchise so they could maybe sell it off to someone else and make more money, and then milk 4Kids for what little money they do have left as a lawsuit, I can only think that this is a result of karma....

However, to the people who might lose their jobs from 4Kids who had nothing to do with any of this fiasco, I am very sorry.

Quite hypocritical saying a company should forget about a property they own the license to, when you can't even forget about the company's past transgressions and in fact accuse their previous actions as the cause of these issues. Especially given that said company has been making inroads in trying to mend bridges with fans. Wink Maybe just too little too late, perhaps.

But given that they have some positive karma, and the Japanese don't, what do you suspect will be the bad karma to affect the Japanese? A complete failure of a relaunch of the Yu-Gi-Oh! brand because of the launch of several very similar media franchises in the US and the effects of Yu-Gi-Oh! being out of the spotlight within that time frame? Perhaps...
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Poor season zero. The best of the Yugioh! franchise is oft-forgotten in North America Sad

I'm pretty sure Capsule Monsters gets less love Wink

On another note, I'm trying to think of who can possibly take over the Yu-Gi-Oh anime licenses now. Funimation is pretty much right out, and I can't see any other anime distributor being interested. Not even Viz.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Although I am not a fan of Yu-Gi-Oh, 4kids should really give up now. I mean if Stu Levy knew when to give up and accept the situation for what it is, what does that say about 4kids?

Seriously 4kids, just give up. Although I feel bad for the employees had nothing to do with this, I can only hope they found new jobs. But if I ever worked there, I would likely never put 4kids on my resume.

At least for several years, Tokyo Pop was a excellent company and was run (at the time) by for the most part intelligent, hard working people.

4Kids was never ever a good company to start with and is run by people that make Stu Levy look like a genius. Believe me, that is no easy feat in the very least. And it seems only 4kids is capable of doing something like that.

What 4kids is doing now is very embarrassing and is making it quite clear in every way possible that they don't grasp even the most basic concept of knowing when to quit.
Siliva

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Poor season zero. The best of the Yugioh! franchise is oft-forgotten in North America Sad

I'm pretty sure Capsule Monsters gets less love Wink

On another note, I'm trying to think of who can possibly take over the Yu-Gi-Oh anime licenses now. Funimation is pretty much right out, and I can't see any other anime distributor being interested. Not even Viz.

Viz has rights to the manga. I'd call that being interested. :U
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Dear 4Kids

**** you. Please go burn in hell you selfish bastards (not the employees though as they are innocent bystanders).

Signed, a Yu-Gi-Oh fan who has been dying to see more un-cut DVD releases of the Duel Monsters in North America.

P.S I REALLY hope the judge doesn't pass this. This is bullshit and a massive slap in the face to the fans. I am wanting a company like Funimation to snatch this franchise up and finally give the fans what they really want: un-cut DVD releases!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Of course, the chances are that if this does go though, the time it will take for everything to resolve (IE: 4kids get the licence yanked for fudging the numbers as is right and proper), no one important (IE: Kids) will care because they'll be watching some other show (maybe Wakfu? Can it be Wakfu? Please?) on some other channel.

So 4kids might be in the legal right to do this, but that doesn't absolve them from being jerks for basically taking the licence down with them.

Last edited by ConanSan on Tue May 17, 2011 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:

Anyway, now that 4Kids is close to dead does anyone know what's happening to their voice actors anyway?

I hear radio ads pay well. I think that's what happened to Eric Stuart, someone that sounds a lot like Brock is haunting the airways of Long Island.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Dear 4Kids

**** you. Please go burn in hell you selfish bastards (not the employees though as they are innocent bystanders).

Signed, a Yu-Gi-Oh fan who has been dying to see more un-cut DVD releases of the Duel Monsters in North America.

P.S I REALLY hope the judge doesn't pass this. This is bullshit and a massive slap in the face to the fans. I am wanting a company like Funimation to snatch this franchise up and finally give the fans what they really want: un-cut DVD releases!

Ahh, Subbed Yu-Gi-Oh. Where all the trouble began.

I don't think we'll ever see those in America again, no matter who has it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5