• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Whatever Happened to Haruhi Suzumiya?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
You can call me out for shooting ahead of myself, but I think Watamote just might be about to claim the thrown that Haruhi and Oreimo sat upon if we are basing the assumption that "this is what an 'anime series otaku girl' is supposed to look like", the only reason it might not be is if Japanese based fans are having an overwhelming negative, or at least apathetic, reaction to the series and don't bother buying the merch like they did with say Oreimo as of resent trends.

Now to throw out another reason why Haruhi disappeared, anime wise anyway, K-on premiered around the same time as the second season of Haruhi and one would have to be blind to trends in anime fandoms not to notice the popularity of K-on.
If Oreimo "replaced" the genre specific fans of Haruhi, then K-on was the series that ate up the broader fan base target that jumped the Haruhi ship.

*edit* now if we are talking about Light Novel series that seem to be getting chain reaction anime adaptations, there is Bakemonogatari that is technically only on its second season (but there has effectively been enough material for 3 season released) and an upcoming movie release, Bakemonogatari also coincidentally premiered the same year as the second season of Haruhi.

But I suppose the point of the matter is "Japan has moved on" as far as Haruhi is concerned, in retrospect it seems that those that are in charge of the franchise either don't care or honestly are afraid of working with Aya Hirano due to her negative PR or even thinking to recast Haruhi for a different kind of backlash.

Last edited by FenixFiesta on Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
As Mike's pic illustrates, moe's been around a lot longer than just the last couple of years. In fact I'd say moe was always with us in one form or another.

AiddonValentine wrote:
the pre-moe, moe comparison are hilarious; it perfectly illustrates the selective memories people have. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Yeah, this anti-moe stunt relates to looking back at the "good old days" with rose tinted glasses, where reality is much different. I got into anime before most people knew what it was, heck before even I knew what it was; I just knew that Robotech was very different and more appealing than regular cartoons. While I admit to some nostalgia, things just weren't great at all on recent examination. I still have VHS tapes of Baoh and Peacock King somewhere...
amagee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
My interest in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya evolved from my unfortunate experience with my undergraduate anime society. The society did not watch series in their entirety but rather would watch a few episodes of a show that the loudest members of the group liked the most and then drop the series when these members lost interest (and apparently the same formula still exists). Consequently, what I saw were a couple of middle episodes in no particular order and then the group leaders cancelled the rest of the meeting to teach the Hare Hare Yukai dance.

I found the show really interesting so I borrowed and watched the entire thing and found myself very intrigued by the whole thing. I eventually acquired all the components of the Bandai sets and the main art box is now as full of autographs as I've been able to get. I eventually also grabbed the novels and found them to be entertaining as well and I've been reading them ever since.

In regards to making more, it's not really a question of content availability. There is enough light novel work done that one could easily produce a new one or two season show without much issue. I think that it boils down to studio interest. Despite wanting more Haruhi, if I were an animation studio, I'd much rather dabble in multiple things than stick with one thing and its particular style for ever and ever.

Now I can't speak for how fans or Japanese businesses hold grudges, but I'd say that the Endless Eight situation and the Hirano mess are such old news that I can't see them making much of an issue these days. I could be wrong.

Speaking of the whole fad thing over Haruhi as well, I must say that I have met countless members of the American anime community that have flat-out told me that they didn't like Haruhi. Some of these folks watched the show and even cosplayed as the characters for the sole purpose of making sure they fit in with the crowd.

Final opinion: 15-30 minutes of editing down The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya would have solved most of the issues the movie faced (beyond the requirement for previous knowledge of at least 7 episodes of the series).
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
A third season of Haruhi would easily revive the franchise (in terms of popularity). There is plenty of new material to work with from the LNs.

In terms of DVDs..that's a tough one. Personally I don't care too much since I own both seasons and the movie, but I would kill to get Haruhi on BD. Granted, there is a Japanese BD box set of both seasons, and it does include the English DUB on it, but its like 400$....
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Personally I believe the obsession with moe started in the early 90's then spiraled out of control in the early 00's.

I do want Haruhi and Oreimo back, but if I had to choose between the two it would be Haruhi.

A fight between Kyon and Kyousuke would be an interesting one because both characters are pretty equal in ability and personality, but I think in the end Kyon would win. But just barely.

Haruhi would win hands down. Her determination to be the best is unmatched.

And I would have to say Goku would win just because that fight would end up to be a fight to the death and in Goku's world death has no consequence. So if Popeye won Goku would soon be back and eventually reign victorious.

Then about the Haruhi movie being too long. I personally didn't have a problem with it. Even as long as the movie was I still was left wanting more when it ended.

Last edited by Cyberphobe on Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
halochief_90

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Though I do have Disappearance on Blu-ray, I regret not picking up the series while it was available (it was, and still is, on Crunchyroll so I figured I wouldn't need to own it). I'm sure negotiations are underway as we speak (only Sunrise deals, minus Gundam, have been dealt with Bandai so far), so maybe the wait will have been worth it if we get the series on Blu-ray.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh Mike Toole, how I'd love to see the Haruhi anime continue! I do feel like a lot of the things that made Haruhi exciting in 2006, like the daring direction/editing style and batty heroine, have been thoroughly explored in other shows since then, and sometimes done better; however, there's just something special about Haruhi!

I still love the way it balances jaded cynicism (in otaku, sci-fi, high school, sex, society) with sincere belief in the wonder to be found in getting to know other people. That's what really makes the show stand out to me. Bring it back, Kadokawa!
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
law240 wrote:
For me the "Moe Era" didn't really hit for me until Haruhi Suzumiya got reversed engineered into Luck Star and that's when a lot of other studios jumped on the bandwagon formula of cute girls in clubs and referential Otaku humor sold like hot cakes Haruhi was the rock and Lucky Star was the wave and K-On and the like was period of moe Inundation.

Actually, that is completely wrong.

I'll just ignore the "moe era" part, but the cute girls in clubs/doing cute things Did not increase at all after lucky star or k-on! aired. In fact, 2008(the year after lucky star aired) only had 1 of those type of shows.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I think it has a lot to do with Haruhi hasn't ended yet. Usually shows that are popular have a conclusive ending it just feels like it is unfinished and hanging there. many anime shows are defined by their climactic endings like Code Geass. This is just my opinion.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh Haruhi!

Since I became an anime fan a few years ago, Haruhi ended up being one of my very first experiences, and if I recall correctly, my first high-school rom com properly.

So, it was pretty magic allright. I still think to this day that Season 1 has a special charm to it, a conclusive romance would have been too rushed and if nothing and I mean nothing happened, it'd have been boring. It has the perfect mix of plot progression and hints at future things to come.

Now, after one more extended season, a great movie, and 7 novels down the road (at least I've read that many, so far) I'm not that interested in more seasons.

Yes, I love the movie, but also think it was the last great Haruhi story. The plot sort of stalled after that, and they always seem to hit a reset button at the end of each novel.

Can't deny I'd still watch a new season, but I doubt it's that much of a priority. Until the series is over, that's it.

----

As for the rest, I haven't watched Oreimo but heard it jumps the shark as the series progresses.

And Goku always win, Always Razz

Last edited by RGaspar on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jarm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Haruhi was the anime that actually got me into the anime world, so I have a very special place in my heart for it. I remember the days of rushing home from high school hoping no one was home so I could watch the series online.

To this day, its probably still in my top 10 favorite anime series, and not purely for nostalgia. It's actually a very good series, I could relate to both Haruhi and Kyon in ways that I normally couldn't with characters in other mediums, and it really opened my eyes to all of the other anime out there, and opened the door to my addiction.

I have all the novels that are currently in English, and 5 of the manga volumes, plus when I found out Bandai was going out of business I rushed to buy the first season of the anime, and the movie, and to this day, I'm glad that I did. (Judging by the prices now!) So I would love to see another season of Haruhi Suzumiya! Heck, give me two or three! I'd love for the entire novel series to be shown in anime form, is there a chance of that happening? Sure. Will it happen? Most likely not.

I do hope Tanigawa writes more of the novels soon, so that the series can have a proper conclusion, and then maybe let it finish in anime form.

I can relate to all of this. Although I had been watching anime prior to Haruhi, I wouldn't be the fan I am today or even reading ANN if I hadn't watched the subs. I probably wouldn't have even conceived of going to an anime convention either.

It was the very first anime I collected on DVD, which I used my high school graduation money to buy. I remember frequently re watching the first disc repeatedly until the next one came out - good times.

There aren't many characters I can closely relate to in anime, unlike Kyon and Haruhi, to the point I would like to makes friends with such people if they were real. So it is a series that is near and dear to my heart as well.

I have the complete 1st and 2nd season, including the film in BD/DVD. I have read all the light novels so far, but only own the 1st volume in paperback and hardcover. I will buy them eventually in each form. And yes, I am hoping some releases the anime in BD. Haruhi in HD would be a godsend!
hpulley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I love Haruhi Suzumiya and wish they'd make more. I even watched and enjoyed Endless Eights, I just enjoy temporal causality loops that much...

As for moe and pre-moe, anime has always had moe. It has it on my VHS era episodes and OVAs. I liked seeing Gally/Alita there as I find she is a good example of some early 90's moe and yet Gally is also totally badass and in the manga at least there was question for a while if she was a girl at all or if it matters anyway when you're a cyborg.

I like old moe and new moe. Give me mo moe! Not sure why people complain about cute girls being cute or cuter or exaggeratedly so. We've always had our Cutey Honey, Lynn Minmei, Gally...

Haruhi has a huge number of problems in getting more anime made. The light novels don't really need promotion and aren't really coming out anymore, there are the aforementioned VA problems... I don't see it happening but if it does I will look forward to it with a huge level of anticipation.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I like the first storyline in Oreimo (which lasted I think 3 episodes). The "perfect" girl having a socially unacceptable hobby and being lonely because she's afraid her friends will hate her if they find out is good hook, but the plot ends with a bit of a whimper and the rest of the show is sitcom and incest soap opera.

A friend of mine watched the second series as well and showed me some scenes from the finale episodes which were astoundingly bad. There's even a scene where spoiler[someone basically deconstructs the otaku incest fetish right in front of them and it just brushes it off]. I think the writer just had a certain way he wanted to end it and just forced everything to go in that direction no matter how clunky or unnatural it was.

My friend also told me people were booing the premiere of the final episodes at Otakon.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I was never a big Haruhi fan, even at the height of its fad. I thought it was a pleasant enough show, but obviously you have to credit the clever marketing that lifted it beyond its actual quality.

BUT for what it's worth, I think the Haruhi movie is one of the best anime movies made in the past 6 or 7 years. Sure, that's not saying a lot. If this were the 80s, the film might just scratch the top 10 best anime films. But I liked it better than the past several Ghiblis, better than Redline, better than the Mamoru Hosoda stuff that's come out over the past few years.

The length is an issue, but I think calling it a "third season" doesn't quite do it justice either. It doesn't "feel" like an episodic film, and in fact it takes about 20 minutes of introduction before anything actually happens. That's film length pacing. It obviously takes its sweet time getting anywhere, but that's what I like about it: it's an honest to goodness REAL film--not an extended TV episode, not a bunch of episodes bunched together--and Kyoto Animation clearly animated it with that intention.

Naturally, by the time it came out, nobody gave a damn about it anymore.

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya indeed.

Last edited by bravetailor on Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:51 pm; edited 4 times in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the rise and fall of Haruhi had anything to do with the rise and fall of Aya Hirano.

While the show may have pioneered the "nerd comedy" genre, Lucky Star definitely was the one that codified it. I felt Haruhi didn't really play off nerd tropes and focused more on the absurd characters in their even more absurd situation. There was the one Gundam reference and that was pretty much it.

Sadly, I tend to find nerd comedies (and thus a lot of nerd humor) uninteresting, because nerdy references aren't funny. Funny jokes that involve nerdy references are funny, but references by themselves don't cut it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16