• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Whatever Happened to Haruhi Suzumiya?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
I feel it is common sense, that considering the outcry both in Japan and here, about the "Endless Eight", (with all its repetition), that it will have some effect. You are free to agree or disagree.

Perhaps you have vague memories of Endless Eight being the topic of much discussion in places you frequented online. The problem is that you're not going about this logically.

Okay, so maybe all the messageboards you frequented were virulent in their denouncement of Endless Eight. Well, how many people were actually taking part in those discussions? Hundreds of posts on the subject doesn't mean that thousands are venting their spleen about Endless Eight in any given topic.

If you look at the sales numbers, the Endless Eight episodes for Haruhi season two sold just about as well as the non-Endless Eight episodes. (In fact, the lowest selling disc was a non-Endless Eight disc, if I recally correctly) The second season as a whole was much less popular--a fifty percent drop--but it's really hard to say concretely why that is. It's not uncommon for second seasons of other series to have that sort of drop, and they don't play the same episode eight times in a row.

I'm not trying to frame Endless Eight as something popular--I don't think it was--but I also don't think it was as unpopular as the English-speaking fandom remembers it, either. At least, not "franchise-sinking" unpopular.

Perhaps, I don't have vague memories. Perhaps, I remember quite well went on during that time frame.

Never said the "Endless Eight" was franchise-sinking, merely that it was a factor, along with the ones that Fencedude's expert stated.

Also, I bought "Endless Eight", despite my feelings for it, because I wanted more Haruhi, and for me at that time, anything was better than nothing.

But I do think "Endless Eight" was a debacle for the series. If any current TV show did the same thing for as long as the "Endless Eight" did it, ratings would plummet.
jefe520

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I think Haruhi is just one of those iconic anime characters that make people fall in love with the shows, GNs and mostly, the merchandise. Unfortunately for Oreimo, without being dubbed we just won't ever know it's full potential and how it would stack up as a fan favorite, like Haruhi. I doubt it would be a close comparison anyway! There are way too many anime fans out there that only watch dubs and will never see Oreimo. I guess we'll never know how similar they would be in popularity. Sorry for any [redundancy] redundancy.
sonic720

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
Since Mike posed the question about when the "moé era" began and amusingly made his own pre-moé era vs. moé era chart (which pokes fun at the original), I've seen various definitions on what moé is to each poster in the responses here.

ANN's lexicon defines moé as such:
Quote:
Moe is a Japanese term used in connection with manga or anime to describe something precious, usually (but not always) the ideal of youthful and innocent femininity. Written with the kanji for "to bud or sprout" (萌), the concept covers a range of ideal behaviour for youthful female characters in manga or anime. To be moe, a character can be eager or perky, not overly independent, and call forth a desire in the viewer to protect them and nurture them. The term is also used to describe any preciously cute item; there is an animal mascot character store in Tokyo called Moe.

There is a lot of debate over the crossover between moe fandom and lolicon. While the crossover exists among fans and products the two genres are not synonymous.

See also: kawaii

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/lexicon.php?id=77

From the Japanese side of things, I don't think there really is any "moé era" at all because moé is more a feeling evoked by an anime than a standardized aesthetic by definition. Since the inception of anime there has been endearing characters from a myriad of different anime genres.

My opinion on moé is the term has been misrepresented to the point of losing all meaning in Western fandom. As such, in fans' confusion regarding its true meaning, the term moé often gets thrown around as a "dirty word" to express a dislike for a certain aesthetic the viewer does not agree with. I also do not think moé has any one tangible aesthetic, but rather what makes something moé is in the eye of the beholder. I say this because what one person finds cute another person might find revolting, and not all anime with "cute girls" share similar aesthetics. For example, the girls in K-ON! have a very different look than the girls in Girls und Panzer, yet many consider both "moé shows" despite the differences in character designs. What the two shows do share however is a set of character traits, whereby the girls are idealized in terms of attitudes and actions. Isn't it the idealization of their behavior that makes them moé to fans more than just the way they are animated? Therefore, I think a term like "moé blob" or "moé girl/anime" no longer bear significant meaning because they focus solely on outward appearance and first impressions rather than the behavior behind the characters that makes them endearing to fans.

So, I'm curious what does moé actually mean in the context of Western fandom? How do you personally define moé? What makes an anime a "moé anime", or is there no such thing as "moé anime" in your opinion? Is Haruhi a "moé anime" and are any of its characters moé to you?
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Never said the "Endless Eight" was franchise-sinking, merely that it was a factor, along with the ones that Fencedude's expert stated.

"A factor" is so vague as to be almost meaningless. A factor in what? The Disappearance movie sold incredibly well, and it came out after Endless Eight. All you're doing is hypothesizing based on how you felt about Endless Eight and extrapolating from that instead of looking at the facts at hand and going from there.

TarsTarkas wrote:
But I do think "Endless Eight" was a debacle for the series. If any current TV show did the same thing for as long as the "Endless Eight" did it, ratings would plummet.

It's a good thing late night anime doesn't rely on ratings, then.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
I still have Suzumiya Haruhi in my heart and on my shelf. I'm about to do my third annual marathon of the Blu-ray box.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
Wow, Sacred Blacksmith is such an amazing anime that it exists in two eras at once.

ultimatemegax wrote:
Kadokawa, the publishers of the novels, manga, and associated print material, uses anime and videos to advertise their print material first and foremost. With no consistent new material coming from Tanigawa, and the novels having saturated the market, there's no reason to promote them over a new franchise.

Shame to see that the "no more Haruhi" reason is far more mundane than sex scandals or fan backlash over what they perceived as KyoAni trolling them. Haruhi would be disappointed. Guess this serves as a reminder that MoHS is just another LN/anime franchise in a constantly expanding landscape, no matter how special we think it is.
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:49 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Wooga wrote:
While we're on this topic, what was the deal with Emiri Kimidori? As far as I remember she only shows up for one episode to ask the SOS -dan for help, but she has her own character cd and even a 1/4 figure of her
(but like literally no other figures). Is she more important in the novels or something?

She becomes somewhat important later on.

If you are interested...
spoiler[She's a humanoid interface, like Yuki and Ryouko]

thank you for the info, this does make me more interested in reading the rest of the novels. i only had 2 because I found it at a paperback swap. This article reminded me how much I liked Haruhi...I watched it on youtube at my school's library... because that was before I figured out torrenting. Wow, feels like a lifetime ago. I think what appealed to me was how the first episode was a movie w/in a movie at first, and you could tell that their acting was terrible. That takes a lot of animation effort, paradoxically. Wow, so many layers...haha
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Not sure if serious.
Sure I'm serious. The movie is moe, but the show and the character...? I don't see it at all.

[insults removed]
sonic720 wrote:
For example, the girls in K-ON! have a very different look than the girls in Girls und Panzer, yet many consider both "moé shows" despite the differences in character designs.

Uh, to be fair anyone who considers Garupan a "moe show" is probably not worth having a conversation with.
stardf29

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:51 am Reply with quote
Kaisos Erranon wrote:

sonic720 wrote:
For example, the girls in K-ON! have a very different look than the girls in Girls und Panzer, yet many consider both "moé shows" despite the differences in character designs.

Uh, to be fair anyone who considers Garupan a "moe show" is probably not worth having a conversation with.

Why? I consider the girls of Garupan moe. (I'm also a big fan of the show, and of moe in general.) I mean, sure, I don't consider the show itself a moe show, but at the same time, I don't consider anything a moe show; moe is simply an element used in various slice-of-life/romance/action/whatever shows.

Still, there's no point denying that the cute girls are an aspect of the show. Like it or hate it, ignore it or embrace it, but it's there.
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:55 am Reply with quote
stardf29 wrote:

Still, there's no point denying that the cute girls are an aspect of the show. Like it or hate it, ignore it or embrace it, but it's there.

No, I agree with you. I'm just saying that anyone who dismisses it as "just another moe show" and refuses to touch it merely because it focuses on a group of cute girls is an idiot and not worth talking to.
stardf29

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:04 am Reply with quote
Kaisos Erranon wrote:

No, I agree with you. I'm just saying that anyone who dismisses it as "just another moe show" and refuses to touch it merely because it focuses on a group of cute girls is an idiot and not worth talking to.

To be fair, anyone who dismisses anything as "just another moe show" isn't worth talking to.

Edit: At least, about the show in question. I'd still talk to them about math if they needed math help or something. Razz
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:08 am Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
In all honesty I don't keep up with Japanese va's or trends out side of what ANN or the occasional tweet.

Two things. First, the quality of sources matter. Sankaku should be setting off your skeptical BS meter in a way a site like ANN shouldn't (that is, ANN tries to be correct and true whereas Sankaku only cares about stirring controversy for page hits). Secondly, if you don't know something, often it's better to say nothing at all and focus on the topics you do know something about.

If you wanna know, Sankaku's webmaster seems to hate Americans, Chinese, Muslims, Final Fantasy and above all, Aya Hirano for some weird reason.
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:20 am Reply with quote
What I can say about Haruhi Suzumiya is that KyoAni really loved it and took great care with it, and it was infectious to me. I watched it when it first came out in broadcast order knowing NOTHING about it, and I feel that was the way most of us who hyped it up got really caught up in it.

The first episode on paper is, "Ha ha, we're parodying tropes," but the execution is much more than that. As someone who was on cheap college access TV and student film, it is incredibly detailed how they made an animated show feel like an authentic student project. Auto-focus/iris issues, audio mis-matching, sloppy, hurried editing, constant 180-degree rule violations all over the place..... This is all a lot of extra work they didn't have to do, but they did, and like the musical segments in Kids on the Slope or something like that, you don't have to enjoy series, but you can at least admire the craftsmanship.

The broadcast order tells the story in the best method of both giving information and making the viewer more curious, and it has a natural narrative arc even though it's adapting multiple novels/short stories. I think a lot of the people were underwhelmed by it because they got the series in chronological order because they were more reasonably priced and most of the people who got the special editions with the proper order and paying a pretty penny for it are people like me. I'm not making absolutes, it's just..... chronological wasn't the way the series was meant to be seen, and I can a lot of people watching the series that way and saying, "Well, that was okay, I guess, but I don't really see the big deal."

The second season felt like they were in a tough spot. I could see the movie of Disappearance was foremost on their minds, but they had all this stuff leading up to it they NEEDED to have for the movie to make sense, and all of it wasn't enough for even a 13-episode season, but they had to do SOMETHING, so....... Endless Eight. I don't like it, but I can forgive them for it.

I had my expectations whittled down for Disappearance after initial reaction even from hardcore fans was it was an over-indulgent, overly long trudge that was "sort of okay." When I finally got to it, I LOVED it. Absolutely loved it. I'm usually squeamish about watching movies at home because my ADHD calls attention to 4 or 5 other things I could be doing, but even at its near Lord of the Rings movie length, I've watched Disappearance all the way through 5 times.

If you like these characters and into the experience, this movie is a gift. it looks radiant, its score is fabulous, its Back-to-the-Future-2-meets-Its-a-Wonderful-Life vibe totally works, its thematic core about adolescence and how we have this attitude of trying to be too cool for everything that we don't enjoy the life in front us is very effective, and it has a rare tenderness for its characters you don't see every day. Its ending is one of the most heart-warming things I've seen in a long time.

And those are my way-too-long thoughts on it.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote
Kaisos Erranon wrote:
[insults removed]
Interesting argument. Anything else?

My feeling is that Toole presents his alternative (and admittedly amusing) graphic as if to point out that plenty in the "pre-moe" era was self-evidently rubbish, or else the functional equivalent of moe. But in the case of Nadia this case is, it seems to be, being made simply by the fact that Nadia is a girl.
giseki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:11 am Reply with quote
Henry Jones wrote:

And those are my way-too-long thoughts on it.

first i would like to say excellent post Anime hyper i agree with most of what you said especially about the student film ep. I went to film school at uni so i never took part in that sort of stuff but watched a lot of my friends earlier efforts of which i was reminded upon watching haruhi.

i disagree with the episode order thing though...for me i watched it in chronological order first and to me that is the only way to watch it. you can see the characters growing and if you splice in the second series it's clearly a carefully made and brilliantly animated story about a bunch of kids who come together and form relationships in extraordinary circumstances...well in my opinion at least Anime hyper

I also loved the Disappearance movie. I've heard so much about people saying it was too long but for me...i watched it first on a pirated copy filmed with a camera in a cinema from a nightmare angle...i loved all nearly three hours of it....then i watched it again when a DVD rip came out...I loved it again...all three hours...i have seen it again since and not once have i been bored or thought it was overly long.

My favourite movie of all time is memories of matsuko which is over two hours followed closely by gone with the wind which is nearly four hours long so long movies have never been a problem for me Anime hyper

anyway awesome post Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16