• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Need some Otaku Help Understanding:Lain(SPOILERS)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hisdon

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I just finished Lain up and I think I understood a bit of the events that went on, but on the whole I didn't quiet get what was going on (I think <<Wink. So, I'm gonna type out what I think I understood and when something comes up I didn't quiet get, I'll bullet it out. I don't expect yall to answer all of em in one post; if you do that's great, but don't feel like this is an overwhelming question. Smile
Putting the whole thing in spoilers also~
spoiler[
Okay, first off, I assume "the wired" = the internet. If not, then I REALLY messed the rest of this up xD.

Going in chronological order, about 15 years ago there was an experiment where a professor was testing the brain waves of children, and something went wrong and I guess most the children died or something?

bullet #1 - Was Lain, or the Wired created from this experiment? Or neither and the event was irreivent to the story line?

Anyways, let's skip forward a bit, Lain is a program that was created to destroy the border between the real world and the wired. However, because of how she was made, she was a living program? She created holograms (using the world lightly considering her holograms were flesh and blood.) of herself in the real world, so whoever was in control of her organized a fake family to live with her.

Anyways, that one girl commited suicide eventually, and people started recieving emails from her. I'm guessing this is because the border between the real world and the wired was starting to degenerate and information from the wired was able to leak into the real world (which makes the wired sound a lot like heaven).

Eventually Lain (the hologram) becomes intrested in the wired herself, and starts to tweek out her computer, including with that psche thing I guess she got from the knights. I believe the thing with the kids playing tag and the other kid who was playing the online game who accidently killed them in the real world also has to do with the border breaking down.

bullet #2 - The knights, few questions about them in this bullet.
A) What really was the goal of the knights? Were they trying to make the borders between the real world and the wired go away with the use of their god and Lain? B) Are they using Lain throughout the series, or trying to get rid of her so their god can do things the way they want him to? C) After their identities were exposed, they were all killed or commited suicide. Was the reason they were wanted dead because their plan went against fixing the layer 7 protocol?

Most of this up to this point, I could understand with lil prob, but then the prophecy episode came. And I was blown away. What exactly happened to her "fake" sister? Her showing up after this point in the series is always with her in a coma like state making beeping noises. I also think it was around this point, that an alien walked into lain's room for a second wearing a freddy crugar shirt. What was that all about? O_o

Anyways, Lain becomes aware of this "other" Lain on the wired. She believes this Lain is an impersenator, while in reality it's really part of her that she was unaware of. The Lain of th Wired was eavesdropping on people and caught Alice doing, um, something intresting. She spread the rumor around the Wired, and the "real" Lain was fully unaware of this. Lain tries to confront this other Lain, and even kill her, but she relizes that this Lain is the same as her. This scares her, so she tries to delete everyone's memories of her in order to avoid that situation.

Bullet #3 - What exactly happened in that scene where Lain is going to school after she deleted everyone's memory, and the other Lain runs over to her friend's when called, and then runs back and says something to our Lain? I also noticed the other Lain was very peppy and um, normal, compared to our Lain. Did her plan to delete the memories fail? The following episodes after this one sujested that they didn't.

After this Lain meets the god of the wired. I'm guessing this god was the problem with the layer 7 protocol. This god tells Lain he created her, which makes it sound like he was once a normal person who simply programmed her rather than just a being of the wired himself. This part was kinda straightforward.
These episodes also show a world where Lain doesn't exist, and even her family leaves the house. I'm guessing they were no longer needed to stay with Lain once she relized just how powerful she is.

Okay, last few episodes are about Lain trying to apoligize and fix things for Alice, but they were also quiet confusing. Lain makes a visit to Alice's house, but when she enters the room she has the body of the Alien with the freddy crugar sweater we saw earlier, but the head of Lain. I didn't get that at all, anyways, Lain tells Alice that she's sorry what happened, but it wasn't her, and she knows how to fix it. This scares the living hell out of Alice, then Lain leaves. The next day, no one renembers the event execpt Alice, and Lain returns to the real world as a living being (I guess <<Wink. Around this time the two guys w/ the eye things were killed by some unkown being. Alice goes to visit Lain's house for once .

Bullet #4- What killed those two agents and why? And why did they see Lain when they died? Who was the guy who paid them shortly before their deaths; is he the guy who's using Lain to connect everyone in the world together?
Bullet #5- Why is Lain's house trashed when Alice comes to visit, and why does she see Lain's sister for a second?

Lain explains to Alice that at one point all humens were connected, and Lain reconnected them and deleted the memories of the event with the teacher (Like was explained earlier, earth was basically one big lan with all the elctromagnetic signals) Alice asks why she didn't do the same for her as well, because Alice isn't connected. Lain tells Alice that she loves her and that she's her only true friend because she cared for her even before she was connected. After all, Lain can make anyone love her by editing their memory. Then, God shows up, and wants Lain to connect Alice. Lain refuses, and tells God that he himself also had to have a creator, and that he himself is not god. This causes him to freak out and form a real body, and he tries to kill the two girls. But, Lain kills him by flinging her computer on top of her. At this point Alice slaps/cuts Lain while trying to get away from her, and she starts to bleed, which least to me proved Lain was a living thing.

The final episode is a world where Lain never existed, she deleted herself from everyone's memory successfully this time. All the people who were hurt or killed because she existed were never hurt, and live goes on. However, Lain herself becomes very depressed. Even though she is a god, a being that can exist anywhere at anytime, she has no one to be by her side.
Then, suddenly her father comes to her, and they talk, and Lain starts to cry. I didn't really get this, was this her father or was it a memory she created?

Bullet #6- Lain says near the end she learned that memory isn't just the past, but the present and the future. So, I'm guessing she relized she can create the future and the current. She relized she could place herself in the current or future and be with the people she loved. Like the last scene, where she's talking to a grown up Alice, she placed herself in Alice's future. Who knows, maybe at some point Lain decides for Alice to adopt Lain and lives as a normal humen? The show leaves us off with Lain telling the viewer "I will always be with you, right beside you", making her seem like a guardian angel, or a true god who loves all of humanity.

That's pretty much it, typing this out made me relize I didn't understand it as much as I thought I did, hoping someone can clarify for me, thanks =)

]
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeesh. So, the whole story behind Lain, it seems. Well, i haven't seen it for a few years, but I'll give it a go...

As far as I understand things spoiler[the wired is basically the internet, but with a few upgrades - the most significant of which being the 7th (maybe) protocol which integrated the natural signal of the Earth into it, making it somewhat omnipresent. One of the engineers (maybe the engineer) who worked on implementing this protocol worked things in such a way as to leave a way for people to actually enter the wired. He killed himself by jumping on to the train tracks, but moved into the wired and became the "God" of the wired. He created Lain as a program to break down the walls between the wired and reality, and created a fake family for her to live with.

Bullet #1 So the children's brain waves experiment was not related to the creation of Lain or the wired. It may have been just a red herring, although I have a nagging feeling there was some significance...

Oh, and referring to Lain and her famiy as holograms isn't entirely correct in context - they're just as real as everyone else.

Bullet #2 The Kinghts were the "disciples" of the God of the wired. Their goal was to aid the God in breaking down the barrier between the wired and reality in return for a favoured status in the new world (think something like angels). Once exposed, they were eliminated one way or another by "the Organisation". Can't remember if they were ever actually given a real name, but the secret agent types anyway. This is done on the basis that destroying reality as we know it is naughty.

As to her sister... I'm not entirely sure. I think that she was deleted and replaced for getting too inquisitive, but other people may have a better explanation. I think her being in a coma and making beeping noises is just showing that she's been "disconnected".

The alien that appears in the room is another sign of reality breaking down. Of all the things that are talked about in the wired, aliens are such a popular subject, and believed in by so many, that their manifestation is one of the first things to happen.

Bullet #3 Her plan to delete their memories didn't exactly fail. She removed herself from their memories, but all the other pieces of Lain that were in everything else remained... Thus showing that there's a significant difference between the real Lain and the fake Lain that is still Lain but made up from her being inside other people (i.e. everyone who is starting to break through th e wired/reality barrier).

The alien appearing again, but with Lain's head shows that Lain is managing to take control of some of the aspects of wired/reality breakdown.

Bullet #4 The 2 agents were trying to prevent the wired/reality breakdown, and the guy who paid them was their boss. It was at this point when they realised they had failed to prevent it, hence being paid - as in, "it's all over now anyway". I would guess they were killed by the God of the wired for daring to interfere...

Bullet #5 The house is trashed because no-ones looking after it, I guess... And Lain's sister is barely there anyway, so with the state of reality/wired breakdown at this point it's not too surprising that she's flitting around.

The identity of Lain's "father" is debatable, although my view is that it's actually God, not just some crazy engineer with delusions of grandeur. The fact that he appears as her father gives this idea some merit, as does the fact that he seems to know everything that's happened and just what to do about it. The fact that Lain also invoked the idea of a higher God during her confrontation with the God of the wired also lends itself to this theory.

Bullet #6 In the end Lain recreates reality (it's infinitely malleable, after all) as she wants it. Alice is grown up, and seeing/married to the teacher who she had a crush on. Also, IIRC, Chisa, the God of the wired before he became the God, and the 2 agaents are all also brought back to lead happier lives. When she's talking to her "father" I think there's an angel reference, so yeah, I'd say she becomes an angel by the end of the series.]

Whew, I hope that cleared up most of the points for you...
Hisdon

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
Yeesh. So, the whole story behind Lain, it seems. Well, i haven't seen it for a few years, but I'll give it a go...

As far as I understand things spoiler[the wired is basically the internet, but with a few upgrades - the most significant of which being the 7th (maybe) protocol which integrated the natural signal of the Earth into it, making it somewhat omnipresent. One of the engineers (maybe the engineer) who worked on implementing this protocol worked things in such a way as to leave a way for people to actually enter the wired. He killed himself by jumping on to the train tracks, but moved into the wired and became the "God" of the wired. He created Lain as a program to break down the walls between the wired and reality, and created a fake family for her to live with.

Bullet #1 So the children's brain waves experiment was not related to the creation of Lain or the wired. It may have been just a red herring, although I have a nagging feeling there was some significance...

Oh, and referring to Lain and her famiy as holograms isn't entirely correct in context - they're just as real as everyone else.

Bullet #2 The Kinghts were the "disciples" of the God of the wired. Their goal was to aid the God in breaking down the barrier between the wired and reality in return for a favoured status in the new world (think something like angels). Once exposed, they were eliminated one way or another by "the Organisation". Can't remember if they were ever actually given a real name, but the secret agent types anyway. This is done on the basis that destroying reality as we know it is naughty.

As to her sister... I'm not entirely sure. I think that she was deleted and replaced for getting too inquisitive, but other people may have a better explanation. I think her being in a coma and making beeping noises is just showing that she's been "disconnected".

The alien that appears in the room is another sign of reality breaking down. Of all the things that are talked about in the wired, aliens are such a popular subject, and believed in by so many, that their manifestation is one of the first things to happen.

Bullet #3 Her plan to delete their memories didn't exactly fail. She removed herself from their memories, but all the other pieces of Lain that were in everything else remained... Thus showing that there's a significant difference between the real Lain and the fake Lain that is still Lain but made up from her being inside other people (i.e. everyone who is starting to break through th e wired/reality barrier).

The alien appearing again, but with Lain's head shows that Lain is managing to take control of some of the aspects of wired/reality breakdown.

Bullet #4 The 2 agents were trying to prevent the wired/reality breakdown, and the guy who paid them was their boss. It was at this point when they realised they had failed to prevent it, hence being paid - as in, "it's all over now anyway". I would guess they were killed by the God of the wired for daring to interfere...

Bullet #5 The house is trashed because no-ones looking after it, I guess... And Lain's sister is barely there anyway, so with the state of reality/wired breakdown at this point it's not too surprising that she's flitting around.

The identity of Lain's "father" is debatable, although my view is that it's actually God, not just some crazy engineer with delusions of grandeur. The fact that he appears as her father gives this idea some merit, as does the fact that he seems to know everything that's happened and just what to do about it. The fact that Lain also invoked the idea of a higher God during her confrontation with the God of the wired also lends itself to this theory.

Bullet #6 In the end Lain recreates reality (it's infinitely malleable, after all) as she wants it. Alice is grown up, and seeing/married to the teacher who she had a crush on. Also, IIRC, Chisa, the God of the wired before he became the God, and the 2 agaents are all also brought back to lead happier lives. When she's talking to her "father" I think there's an angel reference, so yeah, I'd say she becomes an angel by the end of the series.]

Whew, I hope that cleared up most of the points for you...

hm, thanks. After reading this I did a lil research myself and found out this intresting tid bit:

spoiler[
Erie didn't create Lain, the computer company he worked for did. They created Lain with the power to break down the barrier, prepaired a family to live with her, and sent her to school hoping she'd relize the value of being alive and destroy Erie's plan. Why is this? It's quiet simple really, if Erie suceeced and everyone was connected to the internet at all times, without appliances, computers would be useless and the company would be SOL, that's why they fired him too. Kinda funny if you ask me :p ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1