• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Website: Keanu Reeves Passes on Akira, Most of Staff Let Go

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:07 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Ah, development hell, I stab at thee! Laughing

And it joins the Metroid movie there as well! Lol.

I'm really not too sure where I stand on this movie project...if it goes through, it'll be either really good or really bad. On ther hand, if they end the project, then some of us may be wondering "what if"....
Jure

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
There you go haters... happy now? Damn it.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote
Yes, Virginia, there is a God and he is just.
reksveks

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:58 am Reply with quote
i thought the initial plan was to use the manga not the anime as the primary source material (which was the right choice in my opinion) therefore make it a 2 parter ; given the high budget for the first is does anyone know if this is still the case ?
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:18 am Reply with quote
Jure wrote:

I sure was looking forward seeing fights between middle aged bike gangs who couldn't fit the society. I think the colonel and the authorities should be changed into a teenagers so it would make more sense. One of the themes in the manga was the new generation vs. the old.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
There's a simple solution that could work out.

Set the story in Japan in Neo-Tokyo. Don't need to have it shot in Japan, just need lots of asian looking extras that could pass for Japanese. A lot of the sets will likely be digital anyways.

Make the movie about the end of WWIII and an American military presence in Japan. This way you can have a mix of American and Japanese actors. The Major can be an American along with a few other authorities, soldiers and politicians. It can be a thematic tie to real world events where American military is in other countrues and even parallell the debate about a continued American military presence in Japan today following WWII. The film can pertain to the Americans being ready to pull out of Japan and hand autonomy over to a newly forming Japanese government but of course there is corruption, roblems and the skeleton in the closet which is Akira lying dormant who was the cause of WWIII.

Given an American presense in Japan for this film, it's entirely possible to make the characters of Kaneda and Tetsuo American orphans who lost their parents and were raised amongst Japanese, but are teased and hated as outcasts because of their enthnicity, which is why they stick together. and become delinquints and do form some close friendships with some other like minded Japanese boys. Child actors rarely ever work so maybe the characters can be aged to be 18 years old, on the verge of becoming adults.

With a stronger american presense in Japan over the years arguably more of the people are familiar with English so it can be spoken, perhaps with a mix of Japanese with subtitles as well where needed. The rebels themselves would proudly want to speak Japanese and their case would not simply be against corrupt government, but also Japanese autonomy from American rule.

This compromise can ensure a good story, that's faithful ideally, and will allow for a mixed cast that will let the main character be played by Americans while still maintaining all the Japanese aesthetics and ideals. In fact the movie can be written to show a struggle for two cultures trying to come to terms with each other.

They should adapt the manga which I believe is what they're doing. They'll need at least 2 films, though I believe 3 films would suit them better. Just shoot them all back to back. Of course it's a risky one especially financially considering the budget required to bring everything to life. But if they propr it up as a hard rated sci-fi epic with amazing FX and 3-D, they could very well make a lot from it baed on good word of mouth.

If WB is doing this, maybe they oughta give it to the Wachowski Brothers who are keen on sci-fi and respecting source material. The Matrix Triogy and Speed Racer show they've got the balls to be different and think visually. Akira would be perfect for them.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote
Considering what we have been given in terms of changes and cast, I rather preffer this proyect to stay into development hell... better to wait forever for a good akira live action than to have an awful one right away.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Jure wrote:

I sure was looking forward seeing fights between middle aged bike gangs who couldn't fit the society. I think the colonel and the authorities should be changed into a teenagers so it would make more sense. One of the themes in the manga was the new generation vs. the old.

Middle-aged is the new Yuppie, and the new old is age 80s. Laughing
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
Every time I read about this project I wonder if I've gone to The Onion by mistake...
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I'll partially quote Daryl Surat from AWO.
Quote:
Keanu Reeves passes on Akira and the internet rejoices in joy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2