• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kids WB To Survive Merger

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Yes! I'm glad nothing's changeing. I know it may seem odd for a 19 year old gets up early on a satruday morning and watch Pokemon (and 20 when the merger happens) but its sorta like a tradtion for me. I love Pokemon and I'm very happy that nothing's changed... plus is would be stupid for them to get rid of Kids WB (probally going to called Kids CW) as even though Pokemon's not the fad anymore it still pulls in good raitings...
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Maybe one reason why Kids WB! isn't going anywhere might be cause that block is still mostly (if not entirely) from the Warner Brothers side of the merger and that the powers that be didn't think a name change was really necessary.

Then again, it just might be because Kids CW! doesn't sound any better...
Shocked
coldspider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote
They're going to drop Pokemon and Yugioh.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/networktv/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002384275

Should ANN add this to their report? And I wonder if Pokemon's ratings really have dropped that much.Yugioh I believe,but Pokemon?
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, I actually saw Pikachu on the front cover of my local Sunday paper, but I never got a really good look at it.

We'll ah be dipped...

But since this was going to be Pokemon's last season anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if it resurfaces on Cartoon Network's Meguzi block at some point...
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote
It's not the last seasion... its Yu-Gi-Oh's last seasion... its Pokemon's last seasion with 4kids... my geuss is Pokemon USA didn't want to deal with Kids WB... I think it may start going direct to DVD or something... or a new channel. Too bad...
coldspider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
The best bet is Cartoon Network.Either on Miguzi or the Toonami block.I think Pokemon actually airs on Toonami in other countires,like the UK I believe and in some latin countries.

I sure hope it's on Toonami.It'd be nice to see it along Naruto,Bo-Bo-Bo,Zatch Bell,and the like.
malikchan17

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
coldspider wrote:

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/networktv/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002384275

Should ANN add this to their report? And I wonder if Pokemon's ratings really have dropped that much.Yugioh I believe,but Pokemon?

It seems that they're getting rid of Viewtiful Joe as well, it's not listed on the fall schedule.

Ah well, there goes my fond childhoold memories. I really wish they wouldn't merge, as I hate UPN. I do hold out hope that they might play Histeria during the early morning hour block.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Offhand, does anyone know what parts of UPN are surviving the merger other than America's Next Top Model?

It's good to see that the people at CW still feel that there is a market for Saturday morning kids shows. I guess it's more a tradition than anything else now, but what do I know?

I think this is the first article ANN has posted regarding the whole CW affair.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
It's not the last seasion...

On Kids WB!, it is.

Joe Mello wrote:

Offhand, does anyone know what parts of UPN are surviving the merger other than America's Next Top Model?

I know Veronica Mars and WWE Smackdown! are continuing, and I think one or two of the Monday and Tuesday comedies, but that's about it. It's not so much a merger between two network as it is one network absorbing another. We'll see more WB shows than UPN ones...

Quote:

It's good to see that the people at CW still feel that there is a market for Saturday morning kids shows. I guess it's more a tradition than anything else now, but what do I know?

Yeah, there used to be a time when all three of the major broadcast networks had Saturday morning cartoons, but they've been gradually replaced more and more by both national and local newscasts. Still, will the emergence of cable channels like Nickelodeon, the Disney Channel, Toon Disney, ABC Family, and Cartoon Network (just to name a few), there are probably more cartoons on Saturday morning now than ever before--just not on the broadcast side.

It might be that the cable channels have eroded the number of viewers available for the broadcast channels...
Shorty22

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:02 am Reply with quote
coldspider wrote:

I realize this is going to sound... well, kinda sad/pathetic, but I can barely remember a time that I wasn't watching Pokemon on Saturday morning. It seems like it's been there forever. Yugioh, I was expecting, since as others have stated, this is the last season, but I never really thought about Pokemon not being there. I wonder what it's fate will be? Somewhere on Cartoon Network? And if so, are they going to try to 'catch up' to the series, since when they were airing Pokemon before, it was from Indigo League and maybe some Orange Islands stuff. I don't think they ever played anything from Pokemon Advanced Generation. First new VAs, now being dropped, things are certainly changing for Pokemon. I just hope it survives somewhere. I love Pokemon, it's my first anime and guilty pleasure. Embarassed Wink

And with Pokemon and Yugioh gone, I won't be watching Kids WB! anymore. Maybe I'll catch Xiaolin Showdown occasionally, but it's not one of those shows I delibrately try to watch.

Hey, I just thought of something. If they're trying to stick with their own animations, I assume that means that they won't be airing Megaman anymore. They skipped around through Megaman, then through Axess, so I wonder if someone is going to pick up Stream. I was thinking Kids WB! might eventually, but obviously that's not going to happen now.
Bren

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:10 am Reply with quote
Pokémon was okay in the first season, then it started to suck after that. Yu-Gi-Oh the same. After that, I stopped watching KidsWB altogether.
Shorty22 wrote:
I love Pokemon, it's my first anime and guilty pleasure. Embarassed Wink
I know what you mean. To tell you the truth, my first anime was Little Nemo. Yes, it's an anime: anime#4287 Just found this out today, as a matter of fact.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:37 am Reply with quote
Even though I don't watch Saturday morning cartoons anymore, it's kind of sad to see anime disappearing from Kid's WB. Since Yugioh won't be on Kid's WB this fall, does this mean Kid's WB won't be airing the Yugioh: Capsule Monster movie/series, after all? Anyway, new episodes of Pokemon will most likely move to Cartoon Network like they did with Yugioh GX. Even when Yugioh ends, you can expect reruns to air on Cartoon Network and 4Kids will still probably try to milk the franchise for all its worth with more direct-to-DVD American-made productions like Yugioh: Capsule Monsters. 4Kids isn't going to let one of their biggest properties end that easily, but the saddest part about this change is that now the only anime that'll be airing on Saturday mornings will be 4Kids' crappy dubs.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
coldspider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
and 4Kids will still probably try to milk the franchise for all its worth with more direct-to-DVD American-made productions like Yugioh: Capsule Monsters. 4Kids isn't going to let one of their biggest properties end that easily, but the saddest part about this change is that now the only anime that'll be airing on Saturday mornings will be 4Kids' crappy dubs.

uh,4Kids already lost Pokemon.

Pokemon USA took over the licensing rights.
Otakuboy T

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:50 am Reply with quote
...and dumbed the VAs. For once, I'd like to see a series change hands and keep the same voices.

For example how many different VA's has Balldandy had?

What ever happened to MegaMan?
Riyousha

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote
coldspider wrote:

No Pokemon, no Yu-Gi-Oh! drives Riyousha mad. Evil or Very Mad I bet they're trying to be stupid now. I love pokemon, I love Yu-Gi-Oh!. I don't those series to go away.Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1