• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - May 13th - May 16th

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
They screwed up on Vandread, too. It says its only airing on WAM this week but I turned on my TV and am watching it on Action now (OT: I was just watching Chobits #7 and was surprised to hear Yumi on TV)

I mentioned it being on ACTION! a week or so ago here in these forums.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Lampbane

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:

Either way, splitting FMA at episode 26 was definitely the stupidest move ever on AS's part. Before that, I actually had faith that the block could sustain itself. But Bleach attracts a similar audience, so hopefully it will see a rise in viewership this fall.

But uh, traditional seasons are 26 episodes or so. You can't continuously run a series for 52 weeks in a row... even Pokemon takes a breather once in a while here in the states.
keepergirl

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Brian and Zac, for putting this column together week after week. It's really convenient to have this one list with all the anime, so I don't have to try and track down when all these shows are on. Plus, I never would have known that a lot of these shows are even on TV, because I generally never bother to check out the movie channels like Showtime Beyond and Encore Action. So thanks!

Just in case anyone else was curious, Submarine 707 Revolution is on Encore Action.

Lampbane wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

Either way, splitting FMA at episode 26 was definitely the stupidest move ever on AS's part. Before that, I actually had faith that the block could sustain itself. But Bleach attracts a similar audience, so hopefully it will see a rise in viewership this fall.

But uh, traditional seasons are 26 episodes or so. You can't continuously run a series for 52 weeks in a row... even Pokemon takes a breather once in a while here in the states.

While it's true that traditional seasons are around 26 episodes, I think splitting the longer series up for the US TV showings really does hurt the ratings. In the case of FMA, I had never seen it before and by episode 26 I was really getting into it. Then, having that break just sort of took away some of that interest in it. Plus, it made the overall story less cohesive. The same thing has happened with Inu Yasha on AS (which, admittedly, would be ridiculous to show without having a break every now and then). But the way the schedule has constantly moved around, in my opinion, has lessened the number of people who tune in to watch.

As far as fansubbing having a negative impact on the number of TV viewers for a particular show, I think it does. Perhaps not significantly, but I'm sure there are many people who won't watch a show on TV because they've already seen it via fansubs. In regards to Bleach, I'd imagine that the die-hard fans of the show and the people who prefer dubs over subs will probably tune in every week to watch it. It's the people who think the show is average or just okay who will probably only watch the first week. Of course, that's providing the dub is good, which I expect it will be. If it's not, then the die-hard Bleach fans will probably abandon the TV airings as well.
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yu-Gi-Oh!
(KidsWB)
-Saturday May 13 11:30am - Episode 220 "The Final Journey"

I have a feeling this will be “final” in the same terminology as “Final Fantasy.” In any case, new Yu-Gi-Oh! You know what to do.

Naw-aw. This is the fifth to last ep of Yu-Gi-Oh, & the final duel of the series. Sure there's still GX that comes afterwards, but that has next-to-nothing to do with the original series. & the Ceremonial Duel (the last duel that's coming up) was how the manga series ended. It really is final.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Steve007101

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:34 pm Reply with quote
You really should believe that quote you know. Even if the manga ended it's not much to them, it's one of their most popular shows I'd be willing to bet. Afterall, what did they already do to it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2