• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
5 Things I Learned From SyFy's "Heroes of Cosplay"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Dessa wrote:

Also, page 23 has a link to this article (they like it), page 19 (I think) has a picture of Yaya before her implants, and somewhere in the more recent pages, Jinyo's had some comments (he also has a blog about the show).

Thanks for the link, though I'm saddened to report that I looked at page 19 and it does not appear to be the correct page number for that info.
http://www.therpf.com/f47/syfys-heroes-cosplay-193238/index19.html

I did say "I think". I checked again, it's the bottom of 21.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
Dessa wrote:

Also, page 23 has a link to this article (they like it), page 19 (I think) has a picture of Yaya before her implants, and somewhere in the more recent pages, Jinyo's had some comments (he also has a blog about the show).

Thanks for the link, though I'm saddened to report that I looked at page 19 and it does not appear to be the correct page number for that info.
http://www.therpf.com/f47/syfys-heroes-cosplay-193238/index19.html

I did say "I think". I checked again, it's the bottom of 21.
Thanks. I started checking older pages first (and saw a discussion on the scripted nature of other reality shows like American Pickers). In doing so I saw an "apology video" between the 2 "stars" of cosplay and they sounded only slightly less vacuous than a pair of beauty pageant contestants. I can't say that I'm surprised. 50/50 shot and I missed it lol.

I think that I've actually seen this woman at some cons I've been to. Wasn't an anime industry guest or English-language VA so I didn't pay her much attention.

Fame and fortune all c/o some balloons stuffed under her skin. Thanks for making this possible, modern science!
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
CelestialEmpress wrote:
The hypocrisy. I admit I've never read Hellboy, but I'm pretty sure there's not an issue where he becomes a sexy teenage schoolgirl.

Actually, if you watched the episode, she explicitly stated that she WASN'T doing a "female version of Hellboy", but an original character of a "hypothetical little sister of Hellboy."

Well, then any overweight person dressed as Superman is merely doing a hypothetical version where Superman discovers a love of cheeseburgers Razz

Anyways, this show sounded like a bad idea from the start, and while I haven't watched a single second of it, I don't regret that choice in the least.
ki_881

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:27 am Reply with quote
So....who the hell is Yaya Han? I've heard of many cosplayers, but never even heard her name mentioned at any convention or anywhere online. Not much of an Ambassador...or one that shows the great spirit of a cosplayer. Sounds like an awful show.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:41 am Reply with quote
ki_881 wrote:
So....who the hell is Yaya Han? I've heard of many cosplayers, but never even heard her name mentioned at any convention or anywhere online. Not much of an Ambassador...or one that shows the great spirit of a cosplayer. Sounds like an awful show.

It's "reality TV," the greatest oxymoron of our media age. Of course, it's going to be awful. The "Ambassador" thing was tacked on by the show, She never called herself that before that I've seen on her Facebook, or even now that I've caught there. She just does her thing, including building her costumes; a fair amount of the photos in said Bookface are of creations in progress. I have yet to meet her, but have a friend who did (at Otakuthon in Montreal) and told me she was nice to them. I'm taking his word over that of a friggin' "reality TV" show.
bluesilo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
My Fiance insists we watch this every week with FaceOff (another show I hate). I'm not even sure what the show is supposed to be, but I'm certain it is the worst show on television. If people hated or misunderstood Cosplay before, this show isn't doing the fandom any favors.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
Zak, I kind of feel like the pictures of Jessica Nigri and Yaya Han pretty much example what Yaya was talking about. What her statement poorly thought (or edited) out? Sure.

But if you look at Jessica's costume almost everything for that costume could be pretty easily bought. Where if you look at Yaya's costume you can see that it is a crafted one of a kind piece.

Now, is there anything wrong with a store bought costume? No. But in the sense of the show and competition a store bought costume would not do. Since a large part of the competition is how well crafted the costume is.

As for the allergy attack, I totally related to it. Was it silly to wear a wool wig when you are allergic to wool? Sure. But every winter I wear a wool coat and I'm allergic to wool also. I think she would have expected to have the wig make her itchy not give her anaphylaxis.

I could relate though, I ended up accidentally eating shrimp at right before I was to leave Boston after PAX East and ended up barfing all over South Station and having to go to the hospital. I had many of the same symptoms she displayed. I don't know about the fake barfing but at one point I tried to throw up and just couldn't. It was not fun.

Does this show have issues? Most diffidently. Do I think fans are taking it way to seriously? OMG, yes. Would I like to see more on the building of costumes? Yes. Do I expect it from this show? Nooooo. Though, Holly and Jessica do have a youtube channel where they teach different cosplay techniques. Which is kind of neat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
bluesilo wrote:
I'm not even sure what the show is supposed to be, but I'm certain it is the worst show on television. If people hated or misunderstood Cosplay before, this show isn't doing the fandom any favors.

Well, the first indicator of it being a bad program is that it's on a channel called SyFy, which, in Polish slang, means syphilis.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Since reality TV or any slice-of-life or WWE is not real, just treat it like any scripted show, and y'all be fine.

Lady Multi wrote:

And another thought, since I chose to turn it over if that Yaya chick is in the show, have they had any male cosplayers FEATURED on the show?

Jesse with the moustache. He's in every episode except the anime one, and he just won 3rd place overall.

you know for wanting to be a prop maker I don't get why we don't see him trying to incorporate a hidden blade is on that outfit. I'd have to watch again but didn't they say it felt like his outfit was missing something.
MaxSterling

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
yeah i wish the show was a documentary maybe like how Cosplay started off as Sci-Fi con's where Star Trek costumes were made than by fans and grown to how they are now. Looking at chicks is great just wish it encompassed more anime and more sci-fi, there's too much steampunk and video games.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:

But if you look at Jessica's costume almost everything for that costume could be pretty easily bought. Where if you look at Yaya's costume you can see that it is a crafted one of a kind piece.

I think her costumes all show varying levels of complexity. Depends on which you look at: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151908890392533.1073741853.349054752532&type=3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PatrickD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
CelestialEmpress wrote:
Nobody ever seems to work on their costume until like three days before the con.

Two reasons for that:
1) Creative editing by SyFy to create tension. "Will they get it done in time?!" They think we want to see people rushing around at the last minute when, in reality, they are working on them months ahead of time.
2) Some of the costumes actually existed YEARS before the show. (Go look it up. You can find photos of some of these cosplayers wearing these costumes in 2010!) However, they may re-make part of it for the sake of television.
Lost_Shy_One

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I only like this show for the cosplay.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
As for the allergy attack, I totally related to it. Was it silly to wear a wool wig when you are allergic to wool? Sure. But every winter I wear a wool coat and I'm allergic to wool also. I think she would have expected to have the wig make her itchy not give her anaphylaxis.

People who where there have said that it was fake. People offered her help or water, and she herself told them she was fine, and you can see in the video that no one around her seems to even be doing an "ew, gotta move away" when she's supposedly throwing up.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
If you intentionally wear a costume you're allergic to, you deserve whatever happens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9