• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
5 Things I Learned From SyFy's "Heroes of Cosplay"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I'll never want to watch a show about any cosplayer.

I don't find them that interesting enough to even want a TV show about them. Every piece of "drama" that I've seen is still tamer than 4 chan. This is nothing. I've seen people post crap about someone else on a regular basis, so, I found it quite funny when people started flipping tables about this show. And still watch it....and then complain.

I've only watched one episode and made peace with that, but I liked it. I don't go out of my way to watch the show, so I have no idea what's going on now.

Either way, I would like to see Zac's review on "Fangasm," when that show appears. People loathe that show too, but I don't see how it can't be any worse than HoC.

On a side note, glad to know what that Han to Nigri thing was about because I didn't want to watch a YT video about it either.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:12 am Reply with quote
I'm just waiting for Heroes of Halloween. Smile

It looks like what they're really talking about is modelling, not cosplay. Cosplay is like amateur modelling. It's quite possible to make good money at modelling.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote
I had the honor of sitting in on this show 2 days prior to a my trip to Alaska. I was like, "oh cool, they're actually doing a show on cosplay. Let's see this." After watching this and being accustomed to the way reality shows always seem to play out, I was like, "yep, seems like another reality show." As I try to figure out how they're always able to film the right moments where if for example, the participants are working so hard on a project and as soon as they get to the con and something goes wrong like it was to be expected. Like the whole "Tron " dress fiasco. In way I could understand just how real this is. But I've never sat in on what goes into putting together these extreme costumes with props. For the little I've been exposed to is the ones that clutter up the bathrooms at cons. But after watching I found myself hitting my head, it was almost cliched. I thought that putting together these works of arts were done in advanced. I kept wondering why it felt like these people put the stuff together the night before. Isn't stuff like this planned months in advance?

As for Yaya Han? Never heard of her. I guess if I showed up at some con outlandish con and they mentioned her name and I said that I'd be pelted with tomatoes. "Where have you been living under a rock?" No actually I was raised by Dingos y'know the kind that might eat your baby?

But again I am impressed that she has managed to rise to this status. Watching the show you could tell at the height of where she is now, she probably spends a fortune on her costumes. After all they are made professionally. Hell, she showed up in a damn paper towel they'd think she was hot sh*t. After all her "yaya's" are fanboys dream. Don't hate the player hate the game. But yeah I do get the impression that dealing with her having these young girls fighting and stressing out over mere crumbs at a royal dining table in away seems kind of shallow. But again if this is what it takes to be a competitive cosplayer then you do whatever it takes like being a model. But notice it's not the guys that are pulling their hair out like a bunch of girls during a mud wrestling fest. To be honest I pretty much saw that the show spent way to much time exploiting the sex appeal of the girls and their costumes. What better thing to get people to watch a show. This is a high end show that fits what they're trying to sell. Hopefully someone will do a show that captures what cosplaying fandom is really about.

As for the "wool allergy", how the hell do you end up not knowing that your costume is made of wool if you're the one that buying the material? I guess that's up there with the warning label, "this product was made at a plant that processes peanuts and soy." Oh well.

Good column Zac. I may check this serious out again later when I have the chance but I won't hold my breath.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

As for the "wool allergy", how the hell do you end up not knowing that your costume is made of wool if you're the one that buying the material?

First, that wool allergy was fake. With that out of the way, according to the in-show plot, they knew it was wool, but they had to use wool since they didn't have enough time to buy the more expensive non-wool material, so she just had to suck it up.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Not sure I'll watch the show, but it looks... interesting. Yaya Han makes some incredible costumes, and truly knows how to completely transform herself (and no, I'm not just saying that because she's hot, although she definitely is). While I don't like stupid drama in reality shows, I would imagine the drama in the world of cosplay could be interesting to watch.

This is one reason why I don't cosplay myself, not that I'd be any good. If I had to do it, I would just buy a costume online. For me it would be more about dressing up than making a costume. I can't even sew. I would definitely try to cosplay as someone I actually look like (Amuro Ray and Pegasus Seiya are the closest I've seen in anime, Robin (from Batman) the closest elsewhere). It's distracting when someone's trying to cosplay a character they look nothing like.
kamui85

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
yaya looks like a cartoon drawn by a pre-pubescent boy all chest no ass...
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
As for Yaya Han? Never heard of her. I guess if I showed up at some con outlandish con and they mentioned her name and I said that I'd be pelted with tomatoes.

Not to "defend" Yaya or anything, but she is understandably presented as a "fandom personality". I'd say she's arguably as "famous" as any US anime voice actor (which is to say, within the fandom she's known, outside, probably not, altho she was in an episode of "King of Nerds" as a cosplay judge so, who knows). I am NOT a fan of the whole "cosplay guest" trend at anime conventions, but she's been a named guest at a LOT of cons.

http://animecons.com/guests/bio.shtml/295/Yaya_Han
Zump

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Or maybe it's just a really terrible, manipulative, mean-spirited reality TV series that completely misrepresents the entire hobby and craft of cosplaying, makes cosplayers look like a bunch of backstabbing harpies and generally does a disservice to the already widely-misunderstood world of people who just like making costumes and showing them off at silly nerd conventions.

"Mean-spirited" sums up the tone of reality TV in general. Everything has to be a "war," a "battle," a "fight," or a "competition." And it's not even a fun-to-watch, good-natured, "let's-all-be-respectful-and-good-sports-about-this" kind of competition. People yell, scream, and fight over the course of the show. "Crush the opposition!" And by the end, you've been reduced to a lifeless husk, having borne witness to the lowest scum of the earth.

Reality TV continues to exist because it's cheap and lazy, especially since you don't have to pay any writers.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Zump wrote:

Reality TV continues to exist because it's cheap and lazy, especially since you don't have to pay any writers.

If you don't pay any writers, where do the scripts come from?
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Zump wrote:

If you don't pay any writers, where do the scripts come from?

Contrary to popular belief, not all reality shows are scripted. Maybe a bit exaggerated, but not scripted.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Her boobs are kind of well.....not very attractive.

I like them Embarassed

grooven wrote:
LOL great stuff Zac! Always a pleasure to read!
Loved the idea of Steampunk Creamy Mami too.
I also really can't stand Ya Ya's fake boobs, they are really tacky and look out of place for her cosplay choices.
Midwestern Tanuki wrote:
Also, I've been a cosplayer since 2004. And I have to readily admit I don't think I'd ever heard of Yaya before this train wreck of a show.

I also had never heard of her before this Very Happy

So you know that they are fake (how? I didn't know that) yet you have never hear of her before?

Just because you like her breasts, doesn't make them real. Any female can tell when another has plastic surgery on their breasts. Especially when they are exposed in such a manner. It has a lot to do with the build of a female figure, when you can tell. But enough about artificial breasts...
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quote
I've heard of her before this show, but that's because I attended a panel of her's at AX in 2012. I was actually happy when I heard she was pretty much the frontliner in this show because I like meeting famous people before they became famous.

Since we were on the subject of breasts, small ones are the best for cosplay, since you can match the physique of the majority of anime girls (i.e. teenagers), and add-on if necessary for bustier characters. I think if you need to show cleavage to make the cosplay impressive then there's not much to say about someone who thinks it's all about the craftsmanship.
Wooga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:31 am Reply with quote
I can't stand cosplayers. My roomate was one, she would ruin shows for me like the 'Inuyasha dad' on Robot chicken. I can never watch Tiger and Bunny ever again. She would cry because she 'wasn't popular' and never even saw any of the shows the characters came from.
Key Lime Pie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:00 am Reply with quote
While I'm generally open to cosplaying, I kind of don't like it when it's done the wrong way. This is the case for lots I've seen, so it's not like the concept in general has appealed to me despite my openness.

About that show, too lazy to watch, but I'll skim through it a bit just to get a feel. Can't say I'll tear it to bits like most will.
Lolita princess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:04 am Reply with quote
I agree with what Yaya has to say about Jessica but I think she's being a hypocrite because she does the same thing too but she can make great costumes Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9