• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-05-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanisatu

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
There seems to be a lot of focus here on sexually related fanservice, more specifically the kind that can exploit female characters.

Since when is there only one kind of fanservice?
(Ranma824 brought this up, but I haven't noticed much response)

I'm working on a project where I include different types of fanservice. Many of the characters are attractive. I have a token buxom blonde. But that doesn't mean that all of the fanservice I may include will be sexual in nature. I have a scene with a popular female idol, where I made her look more beautiful than normal. She is fully clothed. I still call that fanservice. Am I wrong?

I'm not saying that we shouldn't discuss the topic of sexually related fanservice, and how it can be excessive more often than relevant. I'm just saying, if you're going to be that specific, your language should be appropriately specific.

Personally, I've always chosen to watch anime, or read manga, based on strong stories. I'm not going to shy away from Gunsmith Cats because one of the characters used to be a hooker.

Excessive sexually-related fanservice that does nothing for a story -- generally drives me nuts. Burn Up W was able to use excessive fanservice to their advantage. I think it was the Sorcerer Hunters OAV however, that I stopped watching after one episode because it seemed to go nowhere. And Miyuki-chan in Wonderland left me confused about how much actual story there was.

I am also not one of those girls that thinks "the boys can have all their sexually related fanservice that shows scantily-clad large-breasted women all they want. I'll just have some yaoi." I don't like yaoi. Please stop lumping all female anime fans into that category.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5